A/C Coils

bobsallyh

No hose to be used on rooftop a/c unit. In my opinion.

You need some coil cleaner. The kind that is spray foam. Clean the fins of any physical debris as much as possible. Then spray the fins. It soaks on the fins and removes grease and some oxidation. I then let it sit a few minute. Then I use a 1” wide paint brush with the bristles cut back to about 3/4” long. It may take a few applications to get it clean.  Then rinse with soapy water and then clean water.

The water should run out on the roof. If not the drain holes are plugged. 

Also cover the open area that goes into the roof towards the ceiling to keep the mess on the roof.  You need to have a roll of paper towels or rags with you so as not to leave the mess go down over the side of the rv. 

This is for the cooling side fins. You must take the plastic cover off then the metal cover over the coil fins. The out fins should also be cleaned the same way. One can of coil cleaner will be enough unless things are really dirty.

When done the inside fins should look like aluminum.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

15 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

I do all the work on our fiver but A/C other than changing out a thermostat and filter cleaning. When cleaning the coils with a hose, do you shoot in from outside or vise versa? Thanks for any info.

I go both ways.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

17 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

I do all the work on our fiver but A/C other than changing out a thermostat and filter cleaning. When cleaning the coils with a hose, do you shoot in from outside or vise versa? Thanks for any info.

First I make sure the AC tray drain holes are clear .

Then I hit the radiator with a garden hose blast of water , inside and out . 

I spritz the dust of everything else and clean the inside of the cover . 

Goes around , comes around .

20 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

No hose to be used on rooftop a/c unit. In my opinion.

You need some coil cleaner. The kind that is spray foam. Clean the fins of any physical debris as much as possible. Then spray the fins. It soaks on the fins and removes grease and some oxidation. I then let it sit a few minute. Then I use a 1” wide paint brush with the bristles cut back to about 3/4” long. It may take a few applications to get it clean.  Then rinse with soapy water and then clean water.

The water should run out on the roof. If not the drain holes are plugged. 

Also cover the open area that goes into the roof towards the ceiling to keep the mess on the roof.  You need to have a roll of paper towels or rags with you so as not to leave the mess go down over the side of the rv. 

This is for the cooling side fins. You must take the plastic cover off then the metal cover over the coil fins. The out fins should also be cleaned the same way. One can of coil cleaner will be enough unless things are really dirty.

When done the inside fins should look like aluminum.

Vern in a T-shirt 

That is the correct method, and the least likely to result in finding water inside the RV afterward.

I used a garden sprayer to rinse with water. I would perform this just prior to washing the RV usually.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961