Dropping a phone on a grandfather plan

GlennWest

We have unlimited jetpack on our grandfather prepay plan. Also have 2 phones, wife and I, with 2 gig data. Our total bill is 105.00 + taxes. Pretty sweet deal. But Visible has come on the screen and can get unlimited on phones. Has anyone dropped a phone and not affected the grandfathered plan? Not worth it if it could cause loss of jetpack plan.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Not certain if this is same situation as yours but I had 2 phones (unlimited) and 1 Jetpack ($20.00 - 20gb) on Verizon. When I switched to T-mobile (shout out for 2 lines, 55+ Magenta unlimited for $70.00/mo TOTAL!) Verizon upped my Jetpack to $80/mo which I promptly canceled. 

Well, that don't sound encouraging. Would like unlimited on my phone since I am still working  and could use it. DW mostly at home so not issue with hers. Can't loose my unlimited jetpack

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Change is risky. They often don't tell you about the fine print that will affect your coverage. Since you need the jetpack and the price is good, I would not recommend messing with it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Glenn, I'd suggest you check out the T-mobile 55+ plans as they're 1/2 the price of Verizon and now that they've got band 71 they cover far more rural areas. I had put up with Verizon's high prices & poor customer service due to needing reliable internet but I've been pleasantly surprised at T-mobile's coverage.  I use Network Cell Info Lite for monitoring signal strength /speed and I can verify that their reach is nearly as far as the others.  Of course it's all local so your experience may be different. Good luck! 

T-Mobile may be changing, they were bought out by AT&T.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

29 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

With all due respect that is an article from 2011.  On December 19, 2011 AT&T dropped its merger offer after serious public, Congressional and legal resistance.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

T-Mobile and Sprint merger is now a fact.

T-Mobile successfully acquired Sprint as of April 1, becoming one company and effectively bringing the total number of major US cell carriers from four down to three. At least for now. And as of August 3, the Sprint brand is officially no more.Aug 31, 2020

Edited by Kirk W
typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

33 minutes ago, durangodon said:

I think it is.

That was a typo so thanks! I fixed it as it should have said now. The link supports now.   🤪

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I gotta learn to fact-check better.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

BTW, T-mobile offers a free 30 day trial period with use of their hotspot device that you can use for voice (if your cell phone supports Wi-Fi calling) and data.  I got one and that's what convinced me to switch from Verizon.  Couldn't be happier!  Here's the link to sign up for free 30 day hotspot use - 

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

1 hour ago, dogyard said:

BTW, T-mobile offers a free 30 day trial period with use of their hotspot device that you can use for voice (if your cell phone supports Wi-Fi calling) and data.  I got one and that's what convinced me to switch from Verizon.  Couldn't be happier!  Here's the link to sign up for free 30 day hotspot use - 

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

Are you full time? Reason asking is just because it works where you are doesn't mean it will somewhere else. Understand the 30 day deal. That's good

Not full time but on the road a good deal and for a month we kept our Verizon Jetpack and wife's iPhone on Verizon after I switched to be certain we'd stay connected as we both work remote.  We definitely found some spots in remote Nat'l forests in N. Wisconsin and U.P. Michigan where we had better VZ service than T-mobile but generally where we have one we have both.  I'm on the waiting list for the new cat18 Pepwave Transit MAX with unlimited T-mobile as detailed here - https://rvlife.com/unrestricted-internet-access-for-rvers/

I do think there's more parity in the industry than just a few years ago and hope with T-mobile acquisition or Sprint's frequencies it will continue to improve. The band 71 to serve rural areas should be better than their previous city coverage. 

In the meantime I've got a 3 month old Verizon Jetpack 8800l with Netgear antenna for sale for $100 plus shipping if anybody is looking! 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, dogyard said:

I'm on the waiting list for the new cat18 Pepwave Transit MAX with unlimited T-mobile as detailed here - https://rvlife.com/unrestricted-internet-access-for-rvers/

I would recommend a different router/modem for use with that plan. A couple months ago T-Mobile started blocking the Telit Cat-18 modem used in Peplink and Cradlepoint routers from their flat rate unlimited plans, including 3rd party reseller plans. 

The service that Rene has discussed here is just a typical 3rd party reseller selling bulk rate unlimited plans - and this reseller has been around a while. There are many others out there like them. 

To answer the original question of this thread - there should be no risk in dropping smartphone lines from a prepaid account that has a grandfathered unlimited Jetpack line on it. Of course, if you reduce the number of lines to a single line, you will lose your multi-line discount. 

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

2 hours ago, Technomadia said:

I would recommend a different router/modem for use with that plan. A couple months ago T-Mobile started blocking the Telit Cat-18 modem used in Peplink and Cradlepoint routers from their flat rate unlimited plans, including 3rd party reseller plans. 

The service that Rene has discussed here is just a typical 3rd party reseller selling bulk rate unlimited plans - and this reseller has been around a while. There are many others out there like them. 

To answer the original question of this thread - there should be no risk in dropping smartphone lines from a prepaid account that has a grandfathered unlimited Jetpack line on it. Of course, if you reduce the number of lines to a single line, you will lose your multi-line discount. 

- Cherie

Thank you.