Honda 2008 CR-V Air Conditioning

Jim & Alice

We have a well-loved 2008 Honda CR-V toad that just recently developed AC problems... So yesterday, we had an AC kit installed replacing Serpentine Belt, parts, AC Compressor, etc. - seemed to run fine until this afternoon in the Hot Yuma Sun going over telegraph pass on Interstate-8.   Towards the top of the grade the AC cooling stopped (blower kept going)... we peaked out...  then on the way back down the cooling kicked back in again.   Outside temperature was about 109 degrees.   It was almost as if the new AC sensed an increase in engine temperature(?)... shut down briefly... and then resumed cooling.   I am scratching my head trying to figure out if I have a problem here or not.   Anyone ever experience anything like this before?

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Jim and Alice, I haven't noticed my 2010 Honda CRV 4WD doing that HOWEVER my 2006 Class C on a Ford E 450 Super Duty with the V10 does??????? If I start up a hill the AC compressor kicks out (fan still blows) but once I top the hill and start back down it works again???

Are we the ONLY ones who experience that with our Honda or Ford ????????????

Hope you get your answer

John T

A lot of Vehicles with computer controlled Engines/Air Conditioning will dis-engage the compressor when the engine is under heavier than normal load, like Wide Open Throttle or what ever else the computer decides is heavy load.  This is to ensure you have maximum power as needed.  Some will also shut off the Alternator to deliver max power.  I would not worry about unless it happens while normal driving at steady speeds and normal temperatures.

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

5 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Jim & Alice, did it do what you describe before the kit was put on?

Yes, about a year ago... once... just about the time we started to have AC problems.   Wasn't sure if it was the start of problems or like what we just experienced.   Interesting that today we did the same trip, temps below 100, and no problem.   I shulda been a mechanic!

2007 Dolphin

Thanks for the comments, Folks.   Please keep them coming... for 'oldjohnt' and myself!   I will be taking it in to the Honda dealership next week for 100,000 mile PM work and will run the event by them for their reaction.   Car has 260,000+ driving miles, plus approx 60,000 towing miles... still runs great and looks great. 

2007 Dolphin

8 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Car has 260,000+ driving miles, plus approx 60,000 towing miles... still runs great and looks great. 

Jim, my 2010 CRV only has 100K miles SO I LIKE TO HEAR THAT. With the Blue Ox baseplate its sooooooooo easy to tow 4 down. I change oil at like 3000 to 4000 miles and use Castrol Magnatek Full Synthetic with a quart of Lucas Synthetic Stabilizer in hopes it will last as long as I'm still driving.

John T

Some follow-up for closure:

I had the local Honda dealership do some PM type work (Fuel injector, plugs, valves, etc) for a high Mileage car (260,000+ miles), and have been driving the car extensively for three days.   The PM work, along with a new A/C kit, has put some great life into the 2008 Honda.   Hope so, as we are looking at a 10,000 mile road trip in a few weeks.   It does seem as if the A/C, with engine under load, does reduce cooling a little bit... and restores cooling as soon as the engine load is eased.   Can't find any documentation on this, but have noticed the 'effect'.   Not documented, just observed.   

So, like SunDancer268 suggested, it appears a computer controlled engine will adjust A/C loads to accommodate extra engine strain.     I think that is what's happening here...  Thanks, folks, for the help & observations!

Jim 

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

6 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

So, like Like SunDancer268 suggested, it appears a computer controlled engine will adjust A/C loads to accommodate extra engine strain.

I would wonder if it didn't do that before as well, but just wasn't noticed? I have been trying to remember if our 2009 did that but can't be sure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk, it could well have been behaving that way all along... and just not noticed.   This 'just completed' Summer is the first time in our 260K miles that we were driving it in the temperatures of Yuma... so very well could be the first time any 'computer control' could have needed to kick in.   I did ask this question of the Honda Dealership Service Mgr... and he was not sure but suspected it to be 'computer control' situation.   My chief concern is to discern whether or not I still have a problem prior to departing on a long driving trip... And I think I am checking off 'problem fixed'!   Thanks again, Kirk, for help & suggestions.   We'll be driving by Dallas in a few weeks... on our way to Texarkana... and we will wave 'hi' to you and Pam!   Take care.   

2007 Dolphin

I just got my '07 GMC Sierra CC DRW Duramax/Allison back from the AC shop.  Turned out that the wiring repair(rabbits got into engine compartment and chewed a bunch of wires) done last summer was not done correctly.  Some connectors not properly crimped so bad connections.  The owner of the shop told me he thoughts because the symptom was AC was coming on and going off intermittently, that it may have been due to a "pressure switch" in the system that is self-resetting.  It disconnects the compressor under high pressure, which would seem to appear under high loads, and then resets automatically. 

It would seem that you may have a similar condition.  I encourage you to seek out a reputable local AC repair shop, use Yelp feedbacks, and have them check it out.  Undoubtably, they would be more familiar with AC problems in your locale. 

Marcel

On 9/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, rpsinc said:

It would seem that you may have a similar condition.  I encourage you to seek out a reputable local AC repair shop, use Yelp feedbacks, and have them check it out.  Undoubtably, they would be more familiar with AC problems in your locale. 

Thanks, rpsinc - I think I will do just that.

2007 Dolphin

On 9/26/2020 at 11:28 AM, Jim & Alice said:

We'll be driving by Dallas in a few weeks... on our way to Texarkana... and we will wave 'hi' to you and Pam!   Take care.   

If you stop, give me a call. I'll PM you.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI