Domicile - Things Change - Now What!?

We sold our home in Henderson, Nevada (near Las Vegas, Clark County) last September and have been traveling fulltime.  My mother-in-law lived in Las Vegas so we just changed our address to her address and have our MH and tow registered there. She lived in an assisted living complex.  We had our mail forwarded to us via Livingston. Our storage unit and doctors are there in Nevada. We figured that we were domiciled in Las Vegas, NV based on all of the above.  

My mother-in-law recently passed away and now we are trying to figure out how to continue our Nevada domicile with no actual address. (Yes, that is where we want to keep our domicile - we know we can change to Texas or South Dakota but don't want to for various reasons.)

I have contacted the Secretary of State's office, the Clark County Recorder's office and the Clark County Clerk's office to ask about establishing domicile. After explaining the issue, they tell me they don't have a clue how to do it and really don't even understand what I am talking about.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may lead me in the right direction of who to contact?

Thank You - 

Mary

3 hours ago, hmcarlson30 said:

Does anyone have any suggestions that may lead me in the right direction of who to contact?

Welcome to the Escapee forums. Unless the laws have recently changed, Nevada is one of the states that allow the use of a mail service for your driver's license, vehicle registration, and for voter registration. Never the less, before you get too far I strongly suggest that you contact the Nevada DMV to verify that a mail service address will be accepted. 

Henderson
1399 American Pacific Dr.
Henderson, NV 89074
7a-6p M-F 
(702) 486-4368

Las Vegas - North Decatur
7170 N. Decatur Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89131-2798
7a-6p M-F 
(702) 486-4368
(702) 486-5976 Fax

Las Vegas - East Sahara
2621 E. Sahara Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89104-4136
7a-6p M-F 
(702) 486-4368
(702) 486-4960 Fax

Las Vegas - West Flamingo
8250 W. Flamingo Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89147-4111
7a-6p M-F 
(702) 486-4368

There are several other mail services in that area so check with more than one. 

Physical Address . Com                                                  My Mailbox

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have you talked to Escapees affiliated attorney K. Susie Adams?  I understand she offers a free half hour telephone consultation on domicile issues.

Also look at these guides:

https://dmvnv.com/dlresidency.htm

https://dmvnv.com/newresident.htm

IANAL, but generally, your domicile doesn't change unless another state can make an affirmative claim on you that exceeds your ties to NV.  If you still have your Nevada drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, bank accounts, etc. and haven't purchased property or taken other affirmitive moves to another state you're still domiciled in Nevada.

The main issue is supplying a new address for your drivers license, vehicle registration, etc.  NV won't accept a mail forwarding address as proof of domicile but you can have a mailing address instead of a physical address on your drivers license, etc.  

A 30 day stay in an RV park fulfills NV's residency requirement for a new driver's license so maybe your best bet is to come back to NV for a month with a receipt for the RV park stay while you get things transfered over. 

Edited by Lou Schneider