whats the best luxury 5th wheel

norm62

2 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

If we are talking about older used 5ers, don't forget Carriage.  They went under in the Great Recession.  We bought a 2006 Carri-Lite 36KSQ.  We lived in it for a year to figure out what we wanted to change and then had a rebuild done.  We still came out way ahead of new on costs and made very few compromises.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Definitely an unforgettable line. A 36' Carri-Lite was at the top of my list, but was no longer available when I was ready. Just a really nice fiver. Jay

I have a 2007 Carriage C-Force toyhauler in the fleet. It's a nice trailer with some well thought out features like slide walls that don't stick up above the roof, single piece roof substrate, roof membrane carried over the side wall not joined at the roof edge, interior not decorated like a bordello not that I would actual know I've only seen western movies, sleeping loft internal to the finished interior not a lift bed in the garage, zippers in the belly tarp to access a couple possible repair areas, rugged frame, beaver tail garage floor to lower ramp breakover angle, etc. 

11ft garage.  3 of 7,000lb Dexter axles for 21,000lbs capacity with big drum brakes that carry 14,000-15,000lbs when the trailer is fully loaded.

They are around for sale and don't cost a fortune. 

I kinda have it for sale... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I cannot comment which one is best but I can in regards to the 2006 Elite Suite that we bought new. At the time we were fulltimers and it was the best one that fit into our budget at the time. We had some issues at the beginning as everyone else does but the factory was there and bent over backwards in every way to correct the issues. 

The Elite Suite served us well for 13 years and will continue to serve us the rest of our lives. Besides normal wear it's still looks better than many 5 year old rigs do now that cost twice and sometimes 3X what ours did. Our MSRP was $88K back then and even though its 15 years old it's still valued at about $30K. It does not have all the glitz and glamour that the new $230K DRV's have but I sure am happy that we bought what we did back then. It was one of the most wise choices that I made in my life. 

Although we retired from the road back in the fall of 2019 and shortly after that Covid arrived so our Elite has been sitting idle since but we make frequent visits to her sitting in our storage lot here and dream of taking her out camping again hopefully soon. 

FWIW, buy a well built used one at least 10 years old and put some dollars in it to make it exactly what you want without the $100K glitz and glamour. If needed, put a full body paint job on it and it will look like a million bucks.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

• 4 weeks later...