Sign in to follow this  
rollinbrian

Making the Jump

After two years of dragging our 18,000lb trailer around with the MDT I think we've reached the point where it's just not cutting it anymore.

Items that have led us here:

• We thought the shorter MDT would make us more maneuverable.  And it does, but as we evaluated all the places we've parked only a couple would not have worked with an HDT.  And in one of those I clipped a palm tree and a rock on the way out, so clearly shouldn't have been there in the first place.
  • We thought the shorter MDT would let us park most places just like a pickup.  Almost, but in many places (California beaches) you can't park a pickup there either.
  • We thought we would just be making short trips around the PNW.  With changes in work and then the pandemic we're now roaming from North Wa. to South Cali.
  • The 5.9 Cummins in the MDT is running at a high duty cycle, maintenance and repairs are costing as much as buying newer.
  • The MDT has the deck space for a smart car but adding one would push us up to a gross weight of around 33,000lbs.

So, we are on the hunt for an HDT now!

Edited by rollinbrian

A heavier MDT might be your best compromise.  But they tend to be pricey, and have nearly all the disadvantages of an HDT, except many have 4 doors.

There's no "one size fits all", in rv-ing.

2 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

A heavier MDT might be your best compromise.  But they tend to be pricey, and have nearly all the disadvantages of an HDT, except many have 4 doors.

There's no "one size fits all", in rv-ing.

We contemplated that, with a bit of searching we found some M2's in our price range.  We decided a sleeper cab with storage would be preferred over what is effectively a crewcab.  Also, most don't have the deck space for a smart car.

Edited by rollinbrian

The bad thing about a MDT is they dont have any more power than a pick up truck. We have a M2 with a service body on it and a FL60 roll back truck. I couldn't imagine pulling my camper with either of them. The M2 would probably do pretty good until we hit the hills.

Nice looking truck,  you will be very happy with it.  I haven't found one thing I don't like about towing with an HDT, besides its just plain fun   Congrats 

Edited by Sparky242

We're excited!  As I understand it this is a truck he built earlier for a part-time couple.  It has come back in for a quick refresh and then was back on the market.

On 9/22/2020 at 1:06 PM, rollinbrian said:

Everything is settled - working on delivery arrangements now.

We're getting a 2007 Volvo 670 from Gregg with RVHaulers.

chill_tn.jpg

Thought Gregg retired?

13 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

I think this was more like a consignment sale of an earlier truck.  Dunno beyond that.

Thank you for sharing your photo. I like the paint job. Be safe on the road and enjoy the ride.

Finally home, took a bit of work getting it across the mountain passes and the over the Canadian border.

Working out the project list for it as well as the hitch swap.

Parked beside the F800 we were using for comparison.

20201127_104727_tn.jpg