Nwcid

HDT with HD Trailer

42 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

Custom and better for less then mass produced isn't likely to happen. 

Why not?  Labor is often the largest cost.  If you remove a large portion of that, then it gets much cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

Edited by Nwcid

1 hour ago, Nwcid said:

Why not?  Labor is often the largest cost.  If you remove a large portion of that, then it gets much cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

Labor is a major cost, it is not the only one by far.     My material cost list with no furniture or decor items is just under 53K.

That includes steel, aluminum, windows, bath fixtures, kitchen appliances, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and insulation.    That does not include wall treatment, flooring, soft furniture or window treatments.    

A good used trailer is between 10~20 grand, custom paint and exterior finish to make the thing look like an RV at least another 10 grand.      You could paint it yourself, materials about 3 grand + prep.

Steve

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Labor is a major cost, it is not the only one by far.     My material cost list with no furniture or decor items is just under 53K.

That includes steel, aluminum, windows, bath fixtures, kitchen appliances, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and insulation.    That does not include wall treatment, flooring, soft furniture or window treatments.    

A good used trailer is between 10~20 grand, custom paint and exterior finish to make the thing look like an RV at least another 10 grand.      You could paint it yourself, materials about 3 grand + prep.

Steve

Where are you finding a good used HD trailer for that price?  I think Space Craft new start at $250,000, New Horizons are $200,000.  I can't find used Space Craft, used  New Horizons still hold a premium price. 

To go buy a new "mass produced" Fusion, Momentum, Voltage, etc 40-45' toy hauler is going to be close to $100,000.  For that same price range I can build  more substantial trailer that is set up exactly how I want.  Those mass produced units, even the good ones only hold up so well to full or semi full time living.  

14 hours ago, Nwcid said:

The cost of doing something for the first time once is expensive vs the cost of doing something over and over again.  Concerning the labor costs; even if someone does 100% of the work themselves there is a cost to their time (lost hours to their real job, higher costs incurred elsewhere, etc).  

Go look at folks who build their own ice houses vs. purchasing them.  Over and over again the same pattern, end result is either more money or lower quality (time duration is always insanely long).

On 9/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, steiny93 said:

The cost of doing something for the first time once is expensive vs the cost of doing something over and over again.  Concerning the labor costs; even if someone does 100% of the work themselves there is a cost to their time (lost hours to their real job, higher costs incurred elsewhere, etc).  

Go look at folks who build their own ice houses vs. purchasing them.  Over and over again the same pattern, end result is either more money or lower quality (time duration is always insanely long).

True, but you get exactly what you want and often built to a higher quality than mass produced.  

I do all kinds of custom projects.  Some do end up costing more, but most do not. 

We did a custom build with a company called Dune Sport. Ours was under $100k. We are liking it so far after having it for one year. We will be at the HDT rally with it. It is not in the same class as a Spacecraft or New Horizons but it has what we wanted. We have a 20'+ garage and we put the SUV (or a full size van) in the garage.

ejgLaial.jpg

7 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We did a custom build with a company called Dune Sport. Ours was under $100k. We are liking it so far after having it for one year. We will be at the HDT rally with it. It is not in the same class as a Spacecraft or New Horizons but it has what we wanted. We have a 20'+ garage and we put the SUV (or a full size van) in the garage.

ejgLaial.jpg

You need to share the wealth and come to the West Coast Rally with it too.  😉  I'm interested as I am now considering changing to a Toy Hauler since we bought our RZR and my retirement is getting closer.

18 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You need to share the wealth and come to the West Coast Rally with it too.  😉  I'm interested as I am now considering changing to a Toy Hauler since we bought our RZR and my retirement is getting closer.

We hope to be able to get there next year since I have retired and hopefully more stuff is open. It is all about time with family events!

There is a U tube vid by "Badass RV" showing their KW class 8 with a trailer that looks like it was built out from a "race car" type trailer. 

Double stacking garage etc. 

They show the living area and garage interior not much of the trailer itself, suspension, rear gate, ground clearance etc. 

Another place for ideas is on "Racing Junk" classifieds.