Fall travel season

Barbaraok

So September has arrived and the start of fall travel.   After surviving the summer of hell here in the Phoenix area, it is interesting to note that with the start of the Fall Specials (Sept-Dec) one rate at several parks in Mesa, there are rigs pulling in everyday.  30 of them arrived at our park Sept 1st.   Our park's fitness center will reopen this weekend, with mask wearing required (in every building in the park) but no fitness classes this fall.  The pools are open (no masks while swimming, otherwise masks required), the tennis/pickle ball courts are open, the woodshop, quilting/sewing center (which is huge in this park) is again open, as well as the pottery area and glass-art areas.   Again, all are physical-distanced marked out and mask required.  The outdoor grill is scheduled to open in October, and movies have started again - but with only 50 seats in the ballroom for each showing, again with masks required.   

People seem to adapt (except for college students who want to party-hearty) in the area and it will be interesting to watch what happens as public schools in the area reopen.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Interesting subject. Like you we have stuck close to home all summer but now with temperatures beginning to moderate, we are starting to plan a midweek trip up to one of the COE campgrounds, just to sit and enjoy the out of doors and the sparse population.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Dave is doing better, but we still have physician appointment schedule for the next several weeks.   We had thought about trying to get away during the summer, but the though of pulling the coach out in 115° heat and get set up for 2-3 weeks just seemed overwhelming.  That level of heat really causes you to just exist, it is hard to even get energy to get up even though you are living in air conditioning.  Walking outside into the oven just saps every bit of energy right out of you!    I don't know how we did it in the early 70s when we lived here for 4 years and never had A/C in the car - but when you are young (and stupid) you do all sorts of things you wouldn't do later in life. :rolleyes:

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I know what you mean about the heat. I’ve been avoiding it all summer, but my sister is selling her house and needs help. So I volunteered and am now spending a month at the one place I would rather not be - Vegas. This is the first time I’ve camped here in the summer - I’m used to seeing the Oasis full every night, now there’s a lot of empty sites around me. Can’t wait to leave.

It could have been worse, you could have spent the month of August here in the Phoenix area - the worse heat month on record!  We are once again having 110+ days until Tuesday when a cool front comes through, but that will put us at 55 days with temps 110° or higher!  Old record was 32 days!

I can't image if we had spent it in the motorhome, our park model insulation is much, much better and the air conditioner (knock on wood) has handled it well.   There are some people who have spent the whole summer in their motorhomes/5th wheels and I don't see how they do it.   But people do adapt.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

It could have been worse, you could have spent the month of August here in the Phoenix area - the worse heat month on record!  We are once again having 110+ days until Tuesday when a cool front comes through.....

Enjoy your 'cool front' for TWO days!  Then it's back to the 100's.  We're a few degrees cooler in the Tucson area.  Daughter lives in your area and absolutely loves it!  Naturally, she's a lot younger.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I can't image if we had spent it in the motorhome, our park model insulation is much, much better and the air conditioner (knock on wood) has handled it well.   There are some people who have spent the whole summer in their motorhomes/5th wheels and I don't see how they do it.   But people do adapt.

Just completing this Summer in Wellton (AZ).   Temps like yours.   Up thru July 8, we lived in our motorhome without cover... very hot but survived.   AC struggled all day/all night.   on July 9, Had a solid RV Port installed, Steel, 16' tall, 46' long, and 24' wide, made a HUGE difference after we moved in.   Not as good as a Park Model, but the Motorhome's Air Conditioning effect was vastly improved to being just plain 'comfortable'.   So, I think a Park Model would certainly be preferable, but if prepared, a Motorhome can do well also.   A side benefit was (as we planned) that our RV Port was to be wide enough for car parking underneath, and an eventual porch. - I would say, the car port idea has worked well too.   Car is much more cool to get in now. 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

In early August of 1969 we lived in a mobile home about 30 minutes west of Ft Worth. It was 107° and I was 7 months pregnant when our A/C died. I spent that time visiting one friend after another. Yup, I remember HOT!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Just completing this Summer in Wellton (AZ).   Temps like yours.   Up thru July 8, we lived in our motorhome without cover... very hot but survived.   AC struggled all day/all night.   on July 9, Had a solid RV Port installed, Steel, 16' tall, 46' long, and 24' wide, made a HUGE difference after we moved in.   Not as good as a Park Model, but the Motorhome's Air Conditioning effect was vastly improved to being just plain 'comfortable'.   So, I think a Park Model would certainly be preferable, but if prepared, a Motorhome can do well also.   A side benefit was (as we planned) that our RV Port was to be wide enough for car parking underneath, and an eventual porch. - I would say, the car port idea has worked well too.   Car is much more cool to get in now. 

Providing shade makes all the difference.  We have a covered a carport area, with space for entertaining, grilling, etc.  use it all winter and it has helped keep car cooler this summer.  I would hate not to have it.   When under about 105° it is easy to be out under the shade because it is so dry.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

17 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Providing shade makes all the difference.  We have a covered a carport area, with space for entertaining, grilling, etc.  use it all winter and it has helped keep car cooler this summer.  I would hate not to have it.   When under about 105° it is easy to be out under the shade because it is so dry.  

That 105 degree number is about what we are learning.   Thanks, and wish you folks well.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Heat or no heat, until a vaccine is developed and supported by qualified medical personnel without outside interference, we are staying at home.  Too many underlying conditions make it risky to plan any trip outside of our 4+ acres at home.  We have several trips planned and once we get the reliable vaccine we can plug in the dates.  Until then, Home Sweet Home.

We did something smart, which is rare, and in Nov bought a covered RV site with shed in Happy Trails. The campground that we normally spent winter in raised their rate 30% and nothing was added to or enhanced. We have family here so we knew we would probably settle here. With Covid this has been one of our best decisions. We have been going up to a NFS campground near Payson for a temperature break. Early July temps were 50-75, delightful. We go up every 3-4 weeks for 5 days or so. Nice break. If we had known what the summer was going to be like when we decided to stay we would have looked for a park in the mountains to wait it out, but overall buying the RV lot has been a good decision. We can come and go as we please and don't have to worry about having a site to come back to.

1 hour ago, Mr. Camper said:

Heat or no heat, until a vaccine is developed and supported by qualified medical personnel without outside interference, we are staying at home.  Too many underlying conditions make it risky to plan any trip outside of our 4+ acres at home.  We have several trips planned and once we get the reliable vaccine we can plug in the dates.  Until then, Home Sweet Home.

Remember full timers might not have that option.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this thread was only for full timers.   Just pointing out that full timers who went north for the summer may not have the option to stay in one place for the next year.   That is one of the reasons we bought a park model where we like to spend the winters, so that we would have some place to sit in case one of us died.  Never thought about it in terms of a pandemic, but it has provided us a much needed place to ride this out.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I just saw this on the web: https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/us-surgeon-general-tells-states-to-be-ready-for-covid-19-vaccine-by-november-just-in-case/

IF it happens, I suspect snowbird destinations will be overwhelmed this winter.

I hope Dave is doing his cardic rehab like his life depends on it; it really does. I  know he has a great cheering section. Been there done that_twice.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

That is one of the reasons we bought a park model where we like to spend the winters, so that we would have some place to sit in case one of us died.  Never thought about it in terms of a pandemic, but it has provided us a much needed place to ride this out.  

That sounds a great deal like us, but we were earlier. Pam had health issues before we began our fulltime adventure so we always knew that something could happen, but as it turned out it was an ankle injury that actually caused us to pull the trigger. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I just saw this on the web: https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/us-surgeon-general-tells-states-to-be-ready-for-covid-19-vaccine-by-november-just-in-case/

IF it happens, I suspect snowbird destinations will be overwhelmed this winter.

I hope Dave is doing his cardic rehab like his life depends on it; it really does. I  know he has a great cheering section. Been there done that_twice.

Since the virus outbreak was overwhelming the Phoenix area when Dave had surgery, all cardiac rehab facilities were shut down. Then his heart rhythm problems surfaced so he had to have pacemaker implanted.  After that the HEAT FROM HELL set in.    And with 115° days, we can't walk outside and our park fitness center was also shut down on orders of the governor and will open this weekend.  But if numbers go back up, they will be shutting down.   Hopefully the cool weather promised for Tuesday does come and it really and truly breaks the dome of HOTTER THAN HELL temperatures so he can get out some.  He's feeling better, his latest labs show that his anemia after the surgery has resolved, his kidneys have stabilized, etc.

Highly, highly doubtful  there will not be an adequately tested vaccine ready the first of November.  Best estimate is the end of the year, but the roll out will be hospitals first, then local medical, then emergency responders, then essential workers, then at-risk (ie us old folks), and then general populations.  Good things is that it appears we will have more than one vaccine that will be available so when they start, there will be a larger supply.   

If people are irresponsible this weekend, we are looking at adding another 200,000 deaths by Christmas - a doubling in 4 months.  😟

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Summers are not all  that bad here in Northern Ohio. We did not travel anywhere this summer and we usually leave for our Residence in Florida in Oct but this year we are staying in Northern Ohio for the winter for the first time since 2005.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The Long Beach WA/Astoria OR area is packed for this holiday weekend.  In town people are wearing masks when going into stores and restaurants, but about half take them off on crowded sidewalks and trails.  The locals are torn between being scared of the virus and needing to make money.  Everyone expects it to get a lot quieter Monday afternoon.  Normally the season runs one more weekend because of car shows,  but they were cancelled this year.   We have not seen our family members who live here, they have medical issues and are sheltering at home. 

We will be working our way south to the same park as Barb in Mesa AZ for an October arrival, where we also have a park model.  We have reservations much of the way and at least one place said they were going to be full, so the snowbirds are on the move.  We might change routes due to forest fires and hope we do not have to change routes due to Covid outbreaks..  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Wow - this starts our 9th year of migration - it seems like only a year or two ago that we started. . .
Our situation will probably prohibit us from ever full-timing due to a recent health crisis (stage 4 lung cancer, metastasized).
Local docs say that we can get treatment transferred to AZ

So, we plan to head back to the Phoenix area mid-to-late-October.
For me, winter life in the Pacific Northwest is too gray with minimum sunlight.  Even in Arizona we get grumpy after two days of winter gray!

I still have some new N95 masks, we've always carried small hand sanitizers and used Clorox wipes on airplane trays, buckles,etc long before Covid. We've been "germ conscious" for a very long time and even more so now.
We can travel safe.

The vaccine. . .
A retired physician friend, when asked, said he would NOT take the vaccine when it first comes out unless it has approval of Dr. Fauci - he repeated that Fauci is his standard.
I trust my friends wisdom on that topic.

On pacemakers. . .
They are the best thing to ever happen to cardiac patients. . .
If needed, I would not hesitate to get one.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

1 hour ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

On pacemakers. . .
They are the best thing to ever happen to cardiac patients. . .
If needed, I would not hesitate to get one.

I can't speak for anyone else but even with having to get a new battery for mine on average of 3-3 1/2 years it has still been a boon.  I know it is unusual for the batteries not to last longer but it seems I am just working it hard.

What I would like to see in the death toll is how many were in nursing homes, how many were smokers, how many had COPD, how many were so old and frail that a good cold would have finished them off and how many were false positives. 

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

16 minutes ago, D&J said:

What I would like to see in the death toll is how many were in nursing homes, how many were smokers, how many had COPD, how many were so old and frail that a good cold would have finished them off and how many were false positives. 

Denny

What difference does it make?  They are still gone and the families would still suffer.  Yes, we will all die at some point, but that doesn’t mean we just do nothing and let people die.  Plus, we don’t know all of the long term effects for a lot of younger people who have the disease.  IT IS NOT A SIMPLE COLD.  Some long term effects are just starting to be recognized. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834