Cheech & Chong

Traveling with marijuana/edibles

Some states it is legal to have/consume marijuana products while others aren’t there yet. What should we be aware of as we travel through the US regarding possession and possible prosecution if we were stopped?

First thing is, do not do anything to give a reason to be stopped/pulled over. A drug test will detect MJ in your system for up to a month after you consume some. If you happen to be in a state where it's illegal, or you are above the minimum threshold__well.

well___.

Don't even worry about it. I've toted smoke all over this country. The cops are not too interested in old Rvers holding a few smokes or edibles, regardless of Federal law which is only there in  remembrance of Harry Anslinger.

Just don't drive loaded.

Edited by hemsteadc

The Feds busted Willie Nelson a few years ago in TEXAS.

Life is much, much easier when you follow the laws of the state that you are traveling through.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:35 PM, Vladimir said:

The Feds busted Willie Nelson a few years ago in TEXAS.

Yeah, Texas might still have a mandatory 20 years for  couple joints. LOL.. just noticed the OP's handle

Edited by hemsteadc

Busting Willie Nelson for having a joint in Texas.....is like busting Santa Claus for breaking and entering in the rest of the US.

Not my quote...but a good one!!!!

Notice...it was the FEDS that busted Willie Nelson at one of the inland border control points.  Probably a "urban" hire by the Border Patrol that had no clue who WIllie Nelson was.

No actually, after the K9 alerted, they pulled the tourbus into 'secondary', and a few agents boarded the bus...several of Willies bandmates were on board also...along with Willie sitting further back. The agent smelled the odor, and saw a joint in an ash tray near someone else, not Willie. The agent picked it up, asked who it belonged to, and Willie stood up, raised his hand, and said, "that one is mine'...all of them are mine' (or words to that effect)...

Obviously he took the 'fall'...not wanting his friends and bandmates in jail for who knows what...they cuffed him, took him to Culberson County jail there in Van Horn, and he posted bail and was out in a few hours....

I'm sure his lawyers got him out of that one by paying a fine...presumably. 

Wasn't he busted another time sitting on the side of the road in his Mercedes. I forget when but I am thinking Mclennan County. 

I don't know any outcomes and as much as I like Willie there should have been equal treatment as  anyone else.

I’m sure Willie is more worried about the IRS and his back taxes owed than a little joint in the ash tray. 

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

I’m sure Willie is more worried about the IRS and his back taxes owed than a little joint in the ash tray. 

Ha . I wouldn't think that Willie worries about much of anything .

Willie Nelson was busted buy the Feds and they turned it over to the locals and they just let him go and said that they don't have time for all the pot busts that the Feds give them.

Things to know about marijuana and interstate RV travel.  While tolerance of marijuana use is growing, it can still have serious consequences, particularly for travelers.

In some states possession is a felony.  In some states if it is found in your vehicle your vehicle can be forfeit.  Sometimes the difference between felony trafficking and felony/misdemeanor possession is amount.  That amount varies from state to state.

In some others it is a misdemeanor. In some it is legal.  This is a matter of state law.  Under federal law possession is illegal everywhere.  This can be a serious problem if you are in a national park or other federal lands.  

MJ DUI laws vary from state to state, too.  In some states the presence of any THC in your blood or urine is presumptive DUI.  In others the DUI level is based upon the concentration of THC in the blood or urine; a common threshold is 5 ng/ml of whole blood.  In other states is is an issue of impairment related to THC.  Most states rely to some extent on NHTSA Drug Recognition Evaluation which has been deemed to be voodoo science in some places.  If you are driving a multi-ton vehicle and convicted of DUI expect jail.

If you are charged in any court having to come back to that state to appear in court can be a major issue for travelers.

For a good summary of the marijuana laws in the US see NORMAL's website: