go to store and forgot mask

GlennWest

21 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Not the case at all. The issue is that many people have COVID19 and do not know, or don't have symptoms. The primary effect of everyone wearing a mask is that the person who has it but is masked doesn't spread what he as nearly as much and the person who wears a mask near him also lowers the chance of catching it. But it takes both people wearing it to be really effective. 

If there were enough of the N95 masks for everyone to have one of those and to then dispose of them wearing them for only one outing, then it might be fine for those who have or carry the virus to go anywhere they wish without a mask, but there is still not an unlimited supply of the N95 masks so most of us are wearing homemade masks that are much less effective. As has been stated here many times, we wear a mask as much to protect others as to protect ourselves.

I agree, But isn't it conterefficent to prevent healthy people getting the virus.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I agree, But isn't it conterefficent to prevent healthy people getting the virus.

NO, because we have no idea of all of the problems that the virus can cause.   More and more data is appearing about long term damage to the cardiovascular system to those with mild cases, of rare reactions among children, of the development of a "Covid19" fog for a lot of people who have difficulty concentrating for weeks after the infection, of an increasing in inflammatory response in joints which can lead to development of arthritis, and on and on.

IT IS A NOVEL virus, we do not have nearly enough information about it.    It is like what happened to Native Americans when they were exposed to measles - no background immunity passed down from mother to child as there was in the population from Northern Europe, where the population who could survive the virus had been selected for over millennia, so populations were decimated.  Hawaiians were nearly wiped out by measles.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

See I have been esposed to it.2 friends of mine has. I have never had symtoms and my wife hasn't. I was a litlle concerned about her due to her asthma but we fine. They recovered with no lingering side effects. So we likely immune.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

16 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

There have been numerous reports of younger otherwise healthy people contracting the virus and spending weeks or even months hospitalized before recovering, some with life changing limitations. I've seen estimates of around 20% of the recovered patients being left with health limitations for the rest of their lives. Is that a risk you're willing to take to save being subjected to the minor temporary discomfort masks impose?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

See I have been esposed to it.2 friends of mine has. I have never had symtoms and my wife hasn't. I was a litlle concerned about her due to her asthma but we fine. They recovered with no lingering side effects. So we likely immune.

Have you been tested for antibodies? No? Are you willing to bet your lives on that possible immunity? There's growing evidence that people that recover from minor COVID-19 infections can be reinfected again later on.

Dutch

3 hours ago, kurtsara said:

What about people that can't wear a mask?

The ones that claim they can't or the one's that really can't. Everyone that says they can't will absolutely find a way under the right incentive.

Once again I should have read all the posts before I responded to one. Inmy defense I am semi working as volunteer at the front desk of a FS ranger dist. And I am currently perturbed with a new employee who is not following the guideline in the slightest.  Some of this has me seriously reconsidering how and where I volunteer.

Edited by bigjim

1 hour ago, bigjim said:

The ones that claim they can't or the one's that really can't. Everyone that says they can't will absolutely find a way under the right incentive.

Once again I should have read all the posts before I responded to one. Inmy defense I am semi working as volunteer at the front desk of a FS ranger dist. And I am currently perturbed with a new employee who is not following the guideline in the slightest.  Some of this has me seriously reconsidering how and where I volunteer.

I guess it don’t matter which ones, not supposed to ask about somebody’s medical condition anyways. 

In the small town near where we are camped only maybe 50% of the people wear masks despite an order from the governor that masks are required.  Only a few of the retailers are wearing masks.  The virus from China has not been much of a problem here so I guess they don't  see it as a big concern.  In fact the entire county has recorded only 1 death from it.  We have purchased a supply of N95 and quality KN95 masks for the very few times we venture out and try to keep our distance.  Yesterday I needed an item in town and there were maybe 10 customers plus the staff in the store.  Only one other person had a mask on.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

4 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

In the small town near where we are camped only maybe 50% of the people wear masks despite an order from the governor that masks are required.  Only a few of the retailers are wearing masks.  The virus from China has not been much of a problem here so I guess they don't  see it as a big concern.  In fact the entire county has recorded only 1 death from it.  We have purchased a supply of N95 and quality KN95 masks for the very few times we venture out and try to keep our distance.  Yesterday I needed an item in town and there were maybe 10 customers plus the staff in the store.  Only one other person had a mask on.

Why should they have a mask on at a campsite?

36 minutes ago, kurtsara said:

Maybe the best answer is, it depends. Which is a sucky answer.  The good answer would be to have  the separation Randyretired referred to.  It comes  down to who you are in close contact with that may have been exposed.  In one post RV talked about keeping a greater distance from others and even trying to be upwind of anyone you are suspect of when outside.  If you can find his post it is good information as is information from many others posting here. A lot of these people are scientist with years if actual experience.  I am just your average everyday D.A. that has to work to understand them sometimes but we have had some loss in my family due to it. You take it way more serious then.  Try your best to sort it out and keep an open mind. 

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

So we likely immune.

Glen, I am late to the party here so I hope the others that replied were helpful in explaining it. Sometimes my head nearly explodes trying to understand but in real simple term you co uld have and be carrying it to others.  Without good and proper testing there is no sure way to know unless you get it in a bad way.  You may have developed immunity or you may not. If you have there is no guarantee how long it will last if at all.  We just want you to be as knowledgeable and as careful as possible. Besides if something were to happen to you I would have to go back to insulting Kirk for fun.

I guess it don’t matter which ones, not supposed to ask about somebody’s medical condition anyways. 

"Fact check: No mask? You can ask why — it isn’t against HIPAA or the Fourth or Fifth Amendments"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/07/19/fact-check-asking-face-masks-wont-violate-hipaa-4th-amendment/5430339002/

Dutch

To my knowledge, there is no state that is requiring you to do that. Unless you are packed in more closely than any campground that we spend time, there is no reason to do so unless you have someone visiting from another site. The same is true for driving your car, walking in the park alone, or a host of other activities. The mask mandate I'm familiar with requires them inside of stores or other places of business, but says nothing of parks, campgrounds, or other places where social distancing is easy. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Maybe, or your exposure time was short enough that you didn’t receive the number of virus particles necessary to become infected.  You can get checked for antibodies in a few weeks.   

Most people are able to handle the disease with various levels of effects. But huge numbers can’t  as we have already seen.  If we did nothing and tried for ‘herd immunity’ through infection greater than 2 million would die.  2 million would die so someone doesn’t have to wear a mask - would you be ok with that?  I wouldn’t.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We carry a couple of surgical masks in the car and truck and one is in my pocket at all times. We are not a medical  person so we will pay attention to reliable  medical community and not Facebook experts or politicians. The mask is very uncomfortable and I have trouble breathing through it in a short time. I wear it were it is mandated.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

35 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Maybe, or your exposure time was short enough that you didn’t receive the number of virus particles necessary to become infected.  You can get checked for antibodies in a few weeks.   

Most people are able to handle the disease with various levels of effects. But huge numbers can’t  as we have already seen.  If we did nothing and tried for ‘herd immunity’ through infection greater than 2 million would die.  2 million would die so someone doesn’t have to wear a mask - would you be ok with that?  I wouldn’t.

No one knows that. Can't believe everything you hear

44 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

No one knows that. Can't believe everything you hear

Yes, it could be many more than 2 million if we did nothing and just let everyone contract the virus.  Does that appeal to you, because it doesn’t to me.  They  identified some things that work in keeping people safe while they work on a vaccine and other therapies.  Isn’t that a better way for a population to respond to a threat to that population?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

In the Corpus Christi area where we live the new case rate had climbed to over ~500 per day before a mask order was imposed. I think the rate this week has been ~25-50/day.  Yes, masks are uncomfortably hot in south TX weather, but they do seem to be effective in reducing the spread of the virus. But staying healthy seems inherently better than getting sick.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

35 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

You don't know that and can't prove that. I am not promoting it but don't you should be hyperspectral either

Glenn,  why do you hate science?   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

30 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Joel, try masks when it’s 117!   But it bets dying😎

My wife is now on her third generation of mask design.  Her masks fit better and are more comfortable than any commercial ones I've tried.  She uses only high quality, tightly woven quilting fabrics, formed nose pieces and they have adjustable ear elastics.  There's even a piece of HEPA fabric material as a filter.  They're a lot easier to wear than the N95's we have.

But yesterday, I noticed the temp was 90F, the dewpoint was 77F and the humidity was 69%.  With those conditions it's simply unpleasant to be outside, with or without a mask.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

45 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Awww - Glenn is just contrarian. 

He probably wouldn't enter a business that says, "shirts and shoes required"  - even if he had 'em on already.

Glenn makes me think of my dad. When the encyclopedia didn't agree with Dad, he said the encyclopedia was wrong. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van