go to store and forgot mask

GlennWest

Just now, GlennWest said:

Our jobs are plant maintance and new construction. Plants won't issue badges due to this virus and distanceing laws. So basically if you are out of work when the mask and distancing laws came in effect, you don't get a job. I have not worked since april. 

So your complaint is really with the virus rather than the proven effective means of combating it. Ok...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glenn, then your beef is with the companies.  Those are company directives and has nothing to do with either the virus nor the common sense public health practices.   The masks didn't put you out of a job, lazy companies did.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Plants won't issue badges due to this virus and distanceing laws.

I find that puzzling?? Here in the Dallas area, construction is booming and just today I drove past a site with steel going up and welders at work in several locations. In addition, there is a large sign that says "now hiring." I think that you must be applying to the wrong companies 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Y'all out of touch. The distance laws cut the jobs in half. Workforce of 1000 is now 500. Also Kirk, that sign is strange. Modern steel erection now is all bolt up. No welding. Welding comes into use when pipe and equipment is brought in.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

No welding. Welding comes into use when pipe and equipment is brought in.

Since I do not have a picture, and you are too far away to take you there, I'll leave you to your opinion.  🙂

Y'all out of touch. The distance laws cut the jobs in half. Workforce of 1000 is now 500. Also Kirk, that sign is strange. Modern steel erection now is all bolt up. No welding. Welding comes into use when pipe and equipment is brought in.

Glenn, first that has nothing to do with masks.  Yes, distance means the number of workers in a given area will be reduced, but same number of welds need to be done.  Thus employers will negotiate longer completion times.    Unemployment is high in a lot of different jobs. And will stay that way until we have a vaccine and/or other ways of accomplishing the tasks are devised.  This is a boon to robotic development.  Lots of jobs will never come back, the virus didn’t cause this realignment in the workforce, it is just hastening it.   What we as a society aren’t doing if figuring out how to help people adapt. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Google "Welders needed in Texas"

"Now Hiring" - results indicate (among others) pipe fitters and welders, numerous companies, various (cities) including Dallas.

Maybe they are just taking apps -or- the pay & benefits are not commensurate with your expectations, or ???

BTW - no info posted on masks req'd or not, LOL. - - However, *if* I was an employer (personnel dept, or whatever), I would be impressed by the guy who "came prepared" (wearing a mask) - even if  *I* didn't personally feel the need to wear one.

Kinda like a former US Marine I worked with.  He had an interview before a promotional board for Sgt.

On arrival, he placed a perfectly ironed & pressed uniform shirt on a hanger (*with Sgt. stripes*) on the hook over the door.  When asked why - he stated it would *not* be proper to leave the room out of uniform if he was promoted.  (He was).

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Please close this topic. 

I think you have to initiate it yourself by clicking on something.... I saw it once but I don't know where.

Hope you find work soon!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Please close this topic. 

You started the house fire, now you get to watch it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

20 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

.... Had to go into a Batteries Plus store today because I needed an older battery design for our MiFi, Verizon no longer carries it, they did. ......

No, you did not have to go into a store to get a battery, old or new.  The last time I was in a store was early March.  Since then I went once to pickup books at the library.  You select online and then retrieve a bag of books at the lobby entrance.  Amazon delivers almost everything I order within 1 day.  If you do not want to buy constantly from Amazon there are plenty of other choices.  It is also very likely that internet buying will cost less than buying in a regular store.

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Please close this topic. 

U have been around a long time and I am extremely sympathetic to your circumstance. I also hope it gets better. I do stil believe the mask has been the way to go to get control and surely do wonder what would have happened if we had started using them way earlier.  I am just your average everyday DA  but I said that way back in Feb. even if we had to improvise them  which of course we mostly had to do. Hang in there.

On 9/1/2020 at 5:31 PM, mptjelgin said:

We have disposable masks secreted away in every nook and cranny of each vehicle.  I always manage to leave the car without one, and as I turn to go back to the car my wife whips out an extra one from her purse. She seems to keep an infinite supply in there as well. 

Yep, what would we do without a wife to look after us? Hope I never find out. She has masks in zip-loc bags in the MH, her Jeep, my truck, and  by the doors out of our house. We just bought another box of 50 at Sams Club last week.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, JimK said:

No, you did not have to go into a store to get a battery, old or new.  The last time I was in a store was early March.  Since then I went once to pickup books at the library.  You select online and then retrieve a bag of books at the lobby entrance.  Amazon delivers almost everything I order within 1 day.  If you do not want to buy constantly from Amazon there are plenty of other choices.  It is also very likely that internet buying will cost less than buying in a regular store.

Since the battery was swollen and I couldn't get the case to close, I needed to get it changed out yesterday.  Amazon is now taking 3-4 days for prime.    And  everyone was following the rules, the store was not crowded, everyone was spacing in the store, etc.  I am really now sure why the hostility from you?  Guess I didn't phrase the statement correctly.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Yup, I've forgot my mask but now carry spares. What gets me once in the store is the people that use the mask as a key to get in and then take it off. The stores should have a way to enforce that as well. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

10 minutes ago, hdrider said:

The stores should have a way to enforce that as well.

I concur that is ideal but realistically not all business will be able to do this as much as we may wish. Some of the larger ones with more staff  might be able to deal with it better. As always now W-mart is able to do better with more clout than many other stores. Stores with enough staff to  moniter security cameras and respond will obviously be able to do better. I have noticed stores are rewording their signs to state you have to wear one the entire time instore and wear it over mouth AND nose.  Applause, Applause for the ones that are trying to protect us.  Now if the one that I tend to use would finish their upgrade I would be happier.   I average about once every 10 days and almost everything seems to be in a different location every time I go.  (probably exagerating a little in frustration)

2 hours ago, hdrider said:

Yup, I've forgot my mask but now carry spares. What gets me once in the store is the people that use the mask as a key to get in and then take it off. The stores should have a way to enforce that as well. 

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I concur that is ideal but realistically not all business will be able to do this as much as we may wish. Some of the larger ones with more staff  might be able to deal with it better. As always now W-mart is able to do better with more clout than many other stores. Stores with enough staff to  moniter security cameras and respond will obviously be able to do better. I have noticed stores are rewording their signs to state you have to wear one the entire time instore and wear it over mouth AND nose.  Applause, Applause for the ones that are trying to protect us.  Now if the one that I tend to use would finish their upgrade I would be happier.   I average about once every 10 days and almost everything seems to be in a different location every time I go.  (probably exagerating a little in frustration)

What about people that can't wear a mask?

2 minutes ago, kurtsara said:

Fortunately there's very few people that legitimately can't tolerate standard medical procedure masks.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, hdrider said:

The stores should have a way to enforce that as well.

In this area they are. I have seen an employee in Lowe's tell a customer to either put a mask on, or leave the premises. 

59 minutes ago, kurtsara said:

So are you saying that you do wear a mask willingly, but are concerned that someone else may not be able to? 

Can't fight the rules but isn't the only one at risk is the one without a mask? Would rather be voluntary. If you at risk, wear. Actually preventing healthy people from getting virus is preventing antibodies. I could be wrong

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

13 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Can't fight the rules but isn't the only one at risk is the one without a mask?

Not the case at all. The issue is that many people have COVID19 and do not know, or don't have symptoms. The primary effect of everyone wearing a mask is that the person who has it but is masked doesn't spread what he as nearly as much and the person who wears a mask near him also lowers the chance of catching it. But it takes both people wearing it to be really effective. 

If there were enough of the N95 masks for everyone to have one of those and to then dispose of them wearing them for only one outing, then it might be fine for those who have or carry the virus to go anywhere they wish without a mask, but there is still not an unlimited supply of the N95 masks so most of us are wearing homemade masks that are much less effective. As has been stated here many times, we wear a mask as much to protect others as to protect ourselves.

Edited by Kirk W

2 hours ago, kurtsara said:

Most businesses will make arrangements to bring purchases out to car, etc.    It is a pandemic, so not all people may be able to be do  everything they want to do.    Even people with severe COPD can usually function with a mask for shorts period of time, and if they can't then they sure as hell shouldn't be in a situation where the virus can be easily passed!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

34 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Can't fight the rules but isn't the only one at risk is the one without a mask? Would rather be voluntary. If you at risk, wear. Actually preventing healthy people from getting virus is preventing antibodies. I could be wrong

Not wearing a mask PUTS OTHERS AT RISK.   The primary reason a person wears a mask, like your surgeon before he cuts you open, is so you don't pass an infection to someone else!   I wear a mask to protect you, you wear a mask to protect me.   And if we each wear a mask, then we have really reduced the risks - keep 6' minimum distance, we've reduced it even further and one can do some shopping in stores, etc.

The amount of antibodies that you might get from an infection IS NOT WORTH HAVING OTHER PEOPLE DIE FOR IT!   This is a NOVEL virus, meaning that there is no antibodies to anything like it that have been passed down from mother to child.    

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834