Suggestions for New Laptop

LindaH

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 12:41 PM, RV_ said:

If you liked the 10" size of your Surface 3 here is the new Surface Go2.

It's not that I'm in love with the size, but I already have this one and I'd like something smaller than the 15.6" Dell computer I use at home.  I've been taking it (the Dell) with us when we head south in the winter, but the smaller Surface 3 would be more convenient for the space we have where we use our computers in the RV.  It would be nice to have something perhaps a bit bigger than the Surface 3, but smaller than the 15.6" computer.  However, if I can get the Surface to work with the new cable that's coming and I can get it to stop doing the "plugged in but not charging" thing, I won't have to spend money on a new computer!

I'm not sure I really want a computer than doesn't have a keyboard attached.  I use my phone for doing a lot of web surfing, reading Facebook, and the like, but if I have any amount of typing to do (like I'm doing here), I want to use a keyboard, not just one finger on a tablet.  I doubt very much I'd ever use a computer that had a separate keyboard as a tablet.  

I do use a wireless mouse (bluetooth) and have turned off the keypad on the computer because I don't like using a keypad and I keep hitting it with a thumb as I'm typing and everything I'm writing suddenly disappears!

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

2 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

Ryzen is an AMD line of processors. They are quite popular and certainly the equivalent of Intel.  But for the vast majority of folks the performance of the two is essentially equal, and I wouldn't use the processor make as a basis for selecting a computer unless you are looking at a very specific aspect of performance. 

Yes, I knew that Ryzen is an AMD processor from what was said previously.  But I'd never heard of it (Ryzen) before.

I don't really have a particular aspect of performance in mind.  As I stated previously, I don't stream movies or TV shows, although I do watch an occasional short You Tube video.  I also don't do any gaming...I have some games I play, but they're things like solitaire and mahjong.  Mostly I use the computer for Quicken, word processing and spreadsheets, and web surfing.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Late to this thread, but why is Win 10 a requirement?

My SIL who is a server design engineer for one of the current top brands just bought himself a Chromebook. He said it does everything he wants. He can get all the apps off of the PlayStore like MS Office, etc. 

I can promise this is the route I will take when it is time to replace my current laptop.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Linda, the keyboards for any of the Surface tablets, the Pro or Go2 used on ebay for under $50. I passed up new surface pens because the one I have works on all of them.

However I am eager to hear if the new power supply does the trick.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

12 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Late to this thread, but why is Win 10 a requirement?

My SIL who is a server design engineer for one of the current top brands just bought himself a Chromebook. He said it does everything he wants. He can get all the apps off of the PlayStore like MS Office, etc. 

I can promise this is the route I will take when it is time to replace my current laptop.

The main reason why I cannot use a Chromebook is because I can't use Quicken on it.  That is a MAJOR requirement for me.  If and when Quicken comes up with software that works on Chromebook, I'd consider it.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

18 minutes ago, LindaH said:

The main reason why I cannot use a Chromebook is because I can't use Quicken on it.  That is a MAJOR requirement for me.  If and when Quicken comes up with software that works on Chromebook, I'd consider it.

Although I do not know what you use Quicken for, Quicken does make a mobile version for Android according to their website.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Linda did the new power supply do the trick?

I sold my last laptop in 2013 in favor of the detachable tablet type. For the same reasons you stated, too bulky for convenient travel use for me.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Although I do not know what you use Quicken for, Quicken does make a mobile version for Android according to their website.

But it is not a full version and is useless for my purposes.  I ended up deleting it from my phone.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

50 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Linda did the new power supply do the trick?

No, unfortunately, it did not.

I turned on the computer this morning without plugging it in and updated a bunch of files.  Ran the battery down to 30% then plugged it in.  Got the same message...plugged, no charging.  I now have the computer turned off but plugged in.  I'll see if it charges while off as it has done before.

Looks like I'll be getting a new computer!

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Okay...it appears that the Surface 3 charges when turned off but plugged in.  When I turn it back on, it continues to charge...it just won't charge if it's already on and *then* plugged in.  I have no idea why this is, but as long as I can get it to charge, I'll be taking it with us when we head south in the fall.  I will continue to experiment with this situation to make sure it always charges when turned off and continues to charge when turned back on again.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

If you have Costco, starting tomorrow, September 2, the Lenovo Flex 5 14"1080p 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop will be $649.99 online only - https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

22 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

If you have Costco, starting tomorrow, September 2, the Lenovo Flex 5 14"1080p 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop will be $649.99 online only - https://www.costco.com/online-offers.html .

Thanks Bill.  The sale is good until later this month, so it will give me some time to play around with my Surface to see if it will work for me.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

• 2 weeks later...

Linda, did your Surface 3 work or did you find the perfect new laptop? I just saw a whole slew of sale laptops.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I just purchased a new Dell G5 to replace my aging Inspiron.  Even though I went from a 4K display to an HD one, the fact that it is a 144kHz refresh rate is amazing.  Letters are crisp and clear even at very small sizes!

The G-series Dells are "gamer" systems.  I'm no gamer, but they had the kind of configuration I was looking for--

10th gen Core i7, 16GB of RAM, 515GB SSD, a NVIDIA video board.

If anyone is interested in a 4 year old Inspiron 7559 with a 6th gen Core i7, 16GB of RAM . a 256GB SSD, a 1TB HDD, and a 4K touch screen let me know. Runs Windows 10 (not updated to version 2004).  The primary issue is that the hinges are failing.  One hinge was reinforced last summer by a shop in Canada using  couple of screws carefully inserted from the bottom.  The second hinge needs the same thing done to it.  If you have an application where you can simply keep it folded up and use it as a server it would be fine.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Linda, did your Surface 3 work or did you find the perfect new laptop? I just saw a whole slew of sale laptops.

So far, the Surface is working out.  That'll save me some money which is a good thing as I have some dental work that needs to be completed over the next couple of months. 😪

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Great does it have a keyboard?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998