Suggestions for New Laptop

LindaH

Requirements:

• Windows 10
  • Touchscreen
  • 12" - 14" screen (this will be for traveling, thus the smaller size)
  • Under $1,000

I don't need the latest, greatest, fastest, most high-powered laptop.  I mostly use it for Quicken, surfing the web, some word processing and spreadsheets (using Open Office), and game playing (solitaire, mahjong, etc.).  I don't stream movies or TV shows, but do watch an occasional short YouTube video.

I've looked on Amazon and New Egg, but I just don't know enough about all the different specs to make an informed decision.

(I have an older Surface laptop that I was hoping to take with me, but it uses a USB charge cable and something must be wrong with the charge port on the laptop because it shows it's connected to power, but not charging.  This has actually been a problem from the beginning, but it's gotten so that I can't get it to charge at all.  I don't know if the charge port can be repaired, or if it would even be worth doing so.)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

One of my laptops did the same as yours and showed plugged in but not charging.  I found a procedure to fix it.  If memory serves me, it may have been to remove the battery for a hard reset?????  Cant remember, but you can Google (laptop plugged in and wont charge) and it should pop up.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

11 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

One of my laptops did the same as yours and showed plugged in but not charging.  I found a procedure to fix it.  If memory serves me, it may have been to remove the battery for a hard reset?????  Cant remember, but you can Google (laptop plugged in and wont charge) and it should pop up.

On the same note^ , simply remove and replace the old battery a few times . That may be enough to clean the contacts enough . 

That works for us on our old Lenovo laptops . 

Goes around , comes around .

A couple nieces love their 14" Lenovo Yoga laptops.  Doing a quick search i found models selling from $800 to $950 at Best Buy, Amazon and directly from Lenovo.  The Yogas are all touchscreen laptops.   

My wife loves her LG Gram 13, which she got for about $800 on a Costco deal, but most listings for LG Gram 13 and 14's are over $1000.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

6 hours ago, dennisvr said:

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

On the same note^ , simply remove and replace the old battery a few times . That may be enough to clean the contacts enough . 

That works for us on our old Lenovo laptops . 

Thanks for the hint.  However, I can't find any way to access the battery on my Surface 3.  The bottom of the computer is felt, which is the bottom of the keyboard.  When I flip the stand open, I don't see any place that looks like a battery access panel.  Anyone know how to access the battery on this computer?

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

A couple nieces love their 14" Lenovo Yoga laptops.  Doing a quick search i found models selling from $800 to $950 at Best Buy, Amazon and directly from Lenovo.  The Yogas are all touchscreen laptops.   

My wife loves her LG Gram 13, which she got for about $800 on a Costco deal, but most listings for LG Gram 13 and 14's are over $1000.  

Thanks, Bill.  I'll take a look at them.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, is this the Surface 3, or a Surface Pro 3? I believe you have the discontinued Surface 3 tablet, is that right?

I have had power supply line issues with my Surface Pro 3 and my Pro4 one was broken, another on my Pro 7  just would not charge, and showed it was plugged in, and then after leaving it alone overnight it started working again. My Pro 7 requires a higher wattage charger than my remaining Pro 4 or the Surface Go, but I have spares. I would check for aftermarket power supplies as they are really cheap for obsolete models.

If indeed you have the Surface 3 tablet power issues here is a search page on Amazon for them some $16 or less: https://www.amazon.com/surface-3-power-supply/s?k=surface+3+power+supply

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I would try a new or tested working used 13W power supply for a Surface 3 tablet.

Here's a used one, 30 day money back, eBay for $15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Surface-3-AC-Adapter-Charger-1623-5-2V-2-5A-Micro-USB/233410432251?epid=1992070470&hash=item3658588cfb:g:ZdgAAOSwDABd1cLo

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I always thought I needed a "Laptop" with my travel. In the early days, yes I probably did because it was unusual for a desktop to have "WiFi" already installed. I bought many laptops because one thing or another seemed to go wrong with the "Battery or Charging" systems, or they would Overheat according to the techs. I purchased an "All in one" several years ago and will never purchase another laptop. The all in one is 1/2 the price of the laptops I would buy. It has touch screen (that I don't use) and had built in WiFi connect-ability. 

It's also simple to unplug, drop in the box and carry with me if I choose to. I can move it to the truck and as long as I have shore power it works the same. I take it to my Mothers when I will be there for an extended visit and she can still use her computer if she likes. I have a tablet for the waiting rooms or my new Samsung Note is proving to be quite useful. I do have to carry a keyboard, but have decided to just buy an extra one and leave it at my Mothers. Thinking of trying the new "Split Keyboard". I have one of the "Wave" ones and like it better than the standard ones I have to use at work all the time. If I like the Split one I may start carrying one to work too. It has to be a USB connection though, no Bluetooth on the work devices. 

I did look at several of the Surfaces before getting the all in one and something just didn't set with me. Not sure what it was. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 8/29/2020 at 2:32 PM, RV_ said:

Linda, is this the Surface 3, or a Surface Pro 3? I believe you have the discontinued Surface 3 tablet, is that right?

If indeed you have the Surface 3 tablet power issues here is a search page on Amazon for them some $16 or less: https://www.amazon.com/surface-3-power-supply/s?k=surface+3+power+supply

Yes, it's a Surface 3, not the Pro.  I did order a new power supply cord yesterday from Amazon which should be here Monday (being sent by USPS, so who knows when it really will get here).

Strangely, yesterday, I shut down the machine, closed it up, but left the power cord attached.  When I went to turn it on later in the day, it was at 100% (it had been down to 30-some percent)!  I've had that happen to me before -- it won't charge while on, but will if I shut the machine off.  Anyway, once I get the new cord, I'll play around with it some more.  I'd like to take this computer with me because of it's small size, but I need a reliable computer and don't want to mess around with one that may or may not charge at any given time.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

2 hours ago, lappir said:

I always thought I needed a "Laptop" with my travel. In the early days, yes I probably did because it was unusual for a desktop to have "WiFi" already installed. I bought many laptops because one thing or another seemed to go wrong with the "Battery or Charging" systems, or they would Overheat according to the techs. I purchased an "All in one" several years ago and will never purchase another laptop. The all in one is 1/2 the price of the laptops I would buy. It has touch screen (that I don't use) and had built in WiFi connect-ability. 

That might be nice, but there is absolutely no room in our RV for a desktop.  We have only one place to sit -- the dinette -- and, thus, only one place to put a computer -- the dinette table.  

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Staples has this laptop on sale through this coming Saturday for $549.99:

Lenovo Flex 5, Intel i5  (New Egg wants $974.00 for this laptop)

Or there's this one for $649.99, but it has the i7 processor rather than the i5 of the one above:

Lenovo Flex 5, Intel i7

Any comments on either of these?

I won't be purchasing another computer until after I've received the new power cord for my Surface 3 and have had a chance to play around with it to make sure it works, but if I'm still having problems with it, I'll be buying a new computer.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda, I would say that all i5's or i7's are not alike.  Many i5's will outperform many i7's.  Intel makes it really confusing and difficult to sort out with their nomenclature system. 

Here's a website which will help you compare what you're buying https://www.cpubenchmark.net/  Just go to the upper right corner and do a search by entering the complete processor name such as the first one you listed is i5-1035G1.  The search will bring up some links.  Usually the first or second link will take you to a benchmark to use for comparison.

That particular processor has a benchmark of 7995.  That's only a little faster than my 10 year old i7.  There are much faster and better performing i5 processors on the market.  However, if all you're doing is browsing the internet, it would be more than adequate.

i hope that helps.

Linda,

The Lenovo Flex series with Intel Processors have been discontinued and are on sale. They are available new with AMD Ryzen 5 and 7 processors, however those models are not on sale. The Ryzen Flex models get rave reviews! Today,  like in the 90s when we waited until a month after every new Intel processor came out and AMD came out with faster, better, cooler, and much cheaper, I personally would buy Ryzen if given a choice outside of the Surface two in one systems I prefer.

Look at these new full warranty free returns and refurbished with buyer paid returns and refunds within 30 days. You want a bundle with the typecover

Here is an Open Box new Surface Pro 7 Surface Pro 7 i5/8GB/128GB $699

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Intel is losing Lenovo, and Apple as customers, and AMD's star is rising again. That is why the AMD flexes are MSRP and not on sale.

If you liked the 10" size of your Surface 3 here is the new Surface Go2. The one with the m3 processor is 40% faster than the original first version of the Go I bought new. (Early Adopter risks) Surface Go $499 with typecover and like new. New Go2 starts at $549 without the typecover. New Go2 m3 8GB/128GB

Mine is acceptable and with kids using home learning remotely I am going to sell it, as for a kiddo it is plenty fast. Don't buy a new or used first version Go. Only the Go2 with the m3 processor, 8GB. New they are $549 on sale now for just the tablet. The used one above comes with the type-cover too.

I only included the used Go because you had the 10" Surface 3 and liked its size. It's a good deal and one I would go for were I in the market for a Surface Go2 today.

Big tip. If you get a Surface Pro or Go2 get one of these: Heavy duty bumper case

They are extra heavy duty for drops and have a tab to hold the type cover shut in a drop so best protection case, least hassle to use too, for next to nothing.

I have one of those cases for each: my Go , my Pro 4, and my Pro 7.

The blue case on the left is the Pro 7, the Red one is the Pro 4, and the black one on the right is the Surface Go. I turned the Pro 4 around back so you can see the hand hold rubber strap and the open kickstand back:

nTdoDcbl.jpg

Here you see the type cover fits with the case on for typing:

gVbpHO6l.jpg

Here with the case on from the front with the typecover closed and secured by the travel loop in the corner:

dQryZOUl.jpg

I can use all my regular size USB A external drives and accessories with this USB 3 full size USB female on one end, and USB-C male on the other end that plugs into the Go which only has a USB-C and no full size female USB. THe Pro 7 has a full size female USB AND a USB-C so no adapter needed in most cases.

Lvd4lvpl.jpg

I put tempered glass screen protectors on all of them you can make it out below as it looks like a cutout on the screen is actually the screen protector:

7edEx2Nl.jpg

Here is a view of the ports.

The black Surface Go on top has the charging port slot located on the left in this pic, then the USB - C, and the headphone jack on the right.

The Red cased Surface Pro 4 has left to right the charging port slot on the left, the USB 3 full size port in the middle, then the Mini Display port on the right. Its headphone jack is on the top left side.

The Blue cased Pro 7 has the charging slot on the left, the full size USB-3 port in the middle, and the USB-C is on the right. Its headphone jack is also on the top left side of the case.

Er15QB6l.jpg

GFONb8Cl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Whatever you decide on call the company tomorrow and make sure if used or open box that they have transferable warranties like Microsoft. The best bang for the buck was that open box Pro 7 today. I love mine.

Another tip. You aren't limited to the type cover, If you like you can use any size wireless mouse and keyboard sets that use one receiver. The Go only has USB C so needs an adapter cable from USB full size female to USB C, then plug the Mouse KB USB receiver into it.

The Pro 7 has both so no adapter needed to use a whatever size keyboard mouse set with USB receiver like Logitech. I like Logitech because they have universal receivers and if the mouse goes bad you can program a replacement from Logitech to that receiver and it can still run both the mouse and KB on the one USB receiver. That applies to all desktop Keyboard/mouse wireless sets.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

Here's a website which will help you compare what you're buying https://www.cpubenchmark.net/  Just go to the upper right corner and do a search by entering the complete processor name such as the first one you listed is i5-1035G1.  The search will bring up some links.  Usually the first or second link will take you to a benchmark to use for comparison.

Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

I agree with Dan in that Lenovo is not my choice because the hardware is standard never exceptional without an high price. I have a Lenovo i5 All In One for my wife and she loves it. Too slow for me. MY 2014 i7 runs rings around it. The Surface Pro deal I listed above is as good a deal as you will get for new condition, factory warranty with nine months remaining on it, and a type cover is only online and used but works great is about half price at $40-$55 all day long. I bought a refurbished type-cover for my New in December 2019 for Surface Go for $30 bucks. (I make lower offers) should you have any problems Microsoft pays shipping both ways and turn around door back to your door is about a business week give or take a couple of days.

Here is a Surface Go2 for $499.99 used like new with refurbished Microsoft typecover for $499.99. Says it was used only 4 months and Microsoft will give you the transferable remainder of the warranty from the date it was registered.

I would have ordered that Surface Pro 7 for $699 above and a used type cover like this: Used typecover.

Linda,

let me add some tips if you are thinking of the Surface Pro or GO. I used a regular wireless keyboard/mouse sets that have a single USB receiver you just plug into the USB port and a USB female to USB C male that plugs into the Go. The Surface Pro 7 has a USB C and a regular USB 3.0 A (regular size USB) with my earlier Android Samsung Tab 10" and Tab2 7" and with my Surface Pro tablets as well as the typecovers. The type cover offers screen protection but not from a drop. I have these on my Surface Pro 4 & 7 and on my Surface Go as well as glass screen protectors. 

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Linda,

If you go with another do check the ports and decide what you want in ports. I do like some of the new flip over laptops but the weight and the necessity to always have the keyboard attached doesn't work for me.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

The Lenovo Flex series with Intel Processors have been discontinued and are on sale.

Yes, I knew that these computers have been discontinued.  But the price is good!

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

I personally would buy Ryzen if given a choice outside of the Surface two in one systems I prefer.

See, this is the type of information I need!  I've, of course, heard of Intel and AMD processors, but never the Ryzen.  I had always been under the impression that AMD processors were not as good as Intel, but I really know nothing about the inner workings of a computer...just how to use them.

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

Look at these new full warranty free returns and refurbished with buyer paid returns and refunds within 30 days. You want a bundle with the typecover

Here is an Open Box new Surface Pro 7 Surface Pro 7 i5/8GB/128GB $699

So this doesn't come with a keyboard, which I would have to buy, right?  There's no way I want a computer without a keyboard...defeats the purpose (for me) of having a computer.  With a computer, I can type with all 10 fingers, not with just one on a tablet! 😂

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

22 minutes ago, LindaH said:

See, this is the type of information I need!  I've, of course, heard of Intel and AMD processors, but never the Ryzen.  I had always been under the impression that AMD processors were not as good as Intel, but I really know nothing about the inner workings of a computer...just how to use them.

Ryzen is an AMD line of processors. They are quite popular and certainly the equivalent of Intel.  But for the vast majority of folks the performance of the two is essentially equal, and I wouldn't use the processor make as a basis for selecting a computer unless you are looking at a very specific aspect of performance. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels