Need help finding our first motorhome

Dreamers

X2 what Kirk said.

I get the impression you might be looking for a pop-up trailer. If so, please, inspect every inch of any canvas for mold. Some people don't understand why they should not pack it up wet then let it sit for awhile. Some will then try to clean it but check out seams they might have missed.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No a Class A is what I am looking for.  I've purchased popups and since they are orders of magnitude less expensive and do not have an engine,  I was pretty comfortable with that.   But plunking down 80K on something from an individual is weird. 

I have read about getting the engine oil checked as a way to tell if there are issues with the engine.  Does anyone have experience with that?   I guess I will check out every light, door, etc.   What about internals like sewer, water heaters, fridge, etc.   I would know how to check fridge and AC, but  sewer and water systems???

Edited by dnnymitc

15 minutes ago, dnnymitc said:

I have read about getting the engine oil checked as a way to tell if there are issues with the engine. 

Fluids analysis is a good way to tell if problems are brewing. I have done that for years with both our class A and also my diesel truck, sending off a sample each time I do a fluid change. In this case you need to find some local place to get it done so that you can get results quickly. But that is just a start. If you plan to do the inspection yourself, then you need for them to have everything in operation well before you arrive in order to know that the refrigerator is working properly and freezing ice, that the air conditioners keep it cool, start the furnace to be sure it puts out heat, the water heater is on and water hot, the water tank has water in it to text the water pump, some water in a paper cup to heat in the microwave, and so on. I suggest that you use the list from Changin Gears website, printed out to take with you.  If I were you, I would either hire a professional RV inspector to go through it or perhaps a mobile RV tech. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Fluids analysis is a good way to tell if problems are brewing. I have done that for years with both our class A and also my diesel truck, sending off a sample each time I do a fluid change. In this case you need to find some local place to get it done so that you can get results quickly. But that is just a start. If you plan to do the inspection yourself, then you need for them to have everything in operation well before you arrive in order to know that the refrigerator is working properly and freezing ice, that the air conditioners keep it cool, start the furnace to be sure it puts out heat, the water heater is on and water hot, the water tank has water in it to text the water pump, some water in a paper cup to heat in the microwave, and so on. I suggest that you use the list from Changin Gears website, printed out to take with you.  If I were you, I would either hire a professional RV inspector to go through it or perhaps a mobile RV tech. 

Kirk W.  Thank you very much for the useful advice.   Especially the link to the Changing Gears website and the checklists.   Any tips on finding both a local place that can do the oil analysis and/or a RV inspector.   I guess a dealer might know of these but not an individual.

4 hours ago, dnnymitc said:

Kirk W.  Thank you very much for the useful advice.   Especially the link to the Changing Gears website and the checklists.   Any tips on finding both a local place that can do the oil analysis and/or a RV inspector.   I guess a dealer might know of these but not an individual.

I learned not to trust an inspector recommended by a dealer. Those two have reasons to support one another.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van