Need help finding our first motorhome

Dreamers

36 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

(might be something to consider for a future Escapade)

There has been an RV driving school at every Escapade that I have attended, or at least for the past 8 years that I have been on staff. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

There has been an RV driving school at every Escapade that I have attended, or at least for the past 8 years that I have been on staff. 

That's great, sorry for showing my ignorance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

There was one at the 2008 Escapade so they've been doing this a lot of years.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Ok, thanks again.  We didn't know driving schools for RV's existed.  It sounds like a number of you have used them.  Also, we didn't know about the S.M.A.R.T. group.  I am a Navy veteran from the nuclear submarine engineering side, so that group sounds real good.  We are in the area of Roanoke, VA, so we'll be looking for opportunities around here.

Tee Jay, auto leveling is on our must have list.  I thought it was all with jacks.  Is suspension leveling just a diesel thing or is that available in gas models too, if you know?

On 8/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, Barbaraok said:

Ours is 37’1” front to back, and if I could do over I would have held out for 40’.

Amen. We went from 34' gas Class A to 40' DP with some trepidation, but we don't regret going longer.

Plus a diesel ride is much more comfy than a gasser -- and that makes a big diff when traveling long distances.

That said, I've seen full timers (with big dogs!) in those little teardrop tow behind trailers. So dinky can be done.

However, for your wish list, I don't see anything less than 40'.

We also went shorter because of hearing about state,  federal park limitation.  Maybe true at one time, not any more. 

For several years when we part timed, we used state parks exclusively. However, before we started full timing I decided to compile a list of length restrictions in State and Federal campgrounds. Here's what I found:

State Park Data

Federal Park Data

To sum up, nearly 50% of the sites in state and national parks have sites 40 feet or greater.

However, under 10% for state parks and under 5% for federal have full hookups. That's the hangup for me.

On 8/30/2020 at 11:53 AM, Kirk W said:

OP is from Roanoke, VA. Seven out of the last 10 Escapades have been 1000+ miles from Roanoke, so OP might be an expert driver before he arrives at an Escapade driver school. 

Either find a driving school or do what Barbaraok recommended:

Learned to drive it in big parking lots at the  university on Sundays.  Figure eights, used striping for parking, backing up, etc.   I’m doing 60% or better of driving now.  Love air bag ride and exhaust brake for coming down mountain passes.

BTW, my wife is now doing most of the driving too. Both of us had a learning curve, especially with mountains, but we got it.

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

12 hours ago, Zulu said:

However, for your wish list, I don't see anything less than 40'.

The key thing to remember is that the RV isn't going to belong to Zulu, no matter how expert he may be. The RV will belong to and be used by Dreamers and so you should not give too much credence to what others think. We have absolutely no regrets about choosing a gasoline powered class A that was the size that we had. Never forget that a 40' diesel will cost both more to buy and more to maintain than smaller gasoline powered RVs. When it comes to any RV choice, the question is not if Zulu or KirkW will be happy in it. There is far more to consider than how much space you will have. 

Kirk, I think Zulu was referring to the list of things that Dreamers wanted.  King-size Bed jumped out at me as needing a Class A, either gas or diesel or a Super C, especially when the requirement for sleeping for another couple and 2 teenage girls.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Kirk, I think Zulu was referring to the list of things that Dreamers wanted.  King-size Bed jumped out at me as needing a Class A, either gas or diesel or a Super C, especially when the requirement for sleeping for another couple and 2 teenage girls.  

A Class C bed over cab may be king size. A sofa bed could provide sleeping for the others as long as they don't all come at once. Some Class Cs have a corner bed as well as the over cab bed but those tend to only be full size. Since my father and step-mother never moved up from a full size bed they were content with that in their Class C. As always, different strokes for different folks.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/31/2020 at 9:36 AM, Dreamers said:

Ok, thanks again.  We didn't know driving schools for RV's existed.  It sounds like a number of you have used them.  Also, we didn't know about the S.M.A.R.T. group.  I am a Navy veteran from the nuclear submarine engineering side, so that group sounds real good.  We are in the area of Roanoke, VA, so we'll be looking for opportunities around here.

Tee Jay, auto leveling is on our must have list.  I thought it was all with jacks.  Is suspension leveling just a diesel thing or is that available in gas models too, if you know?

The auto level is available with both gas and Diesel, and with both jacks and air suspension.  Jacks can only lift the low corners, so you sometimes have a long distance bottom step.  Air leveling can drop the coach down and then level.  Most gas models have steel springs rather than air.  Most Diesels have air suspension.  

On driving, when we purchased this coach I wanted a demo drive, and asked the instructor how new drivers do.  He said there had been a number who were too terrified to continue.  Do the driving school before you put down your money.

Is there a gas coat with air suspension?

Do not drive a diesel with air bags/air suspension unless you are willing to go that route because the air suspension (and quiet from the rear engine) will really spoil you for any other types of coaches.  

Linda, Wasn't the king size bed a requirement for the owners bedroom?  Which would rule out over-the-cab and the shorter Class C side beds.   From reading the OP, it sounded  to me like the other couple and 2 teenage daughters would be visiting at the same time.    

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Is there a gas coat with air suspension?

Don't understand the question.  The engine or the electric system drives one or more compressors to provide air to operate the brakes and the suspension.  This is common on Diesel, not so with gas.  There are gas cars and trucks with some form of air suspension, and there may be gas coaches with air, but none come to mind.

Thank you all again.  I don't mind people making suggestions that work for them and may not work for me.  If you briefly explain why, then I can apply that reason to my own circumstances.  As for the king bed, I have set it as an absolute requirement.  My wife and I were sleeping in a spare bedroom following painting our room.  It was a queen size bed and she couldn't sleep at all.  I won't buy a motorhome without a king for us.  I consider diesel pushers to be superior to gas for comfort and longevity.  I'm not stuck on diesel though, especially with the big difference in price.  We would love to find a motorhome that meets our needs based on our current expectations on the first try, but we are not so arrogant that we think we know everything that we will find important as we start traveling extensively. 

I love this group and all the people that have taken time to try to help us.  I am very glad I decided to post my question.  I haven't looked up the driving schools around here even though 2gypsies gave us the link.  I hope we can attend one.  It may answer a lot of questions for us.  I think we can find a motorhome that meets our living needs if we go to 36', but definitely 37' (sorry Zulu, 40' will never fly for our first MH).

17 minutes ago, Dreamers said:

I think we can find a motorhome that meets our living needs if we go to 36', but definitely 37'

I think that you are well on your way to a good choice. When it comes to RVs, those of us of smaller physical dimensions have an advantage we we fit into smaller spaces better. As you check out the beds you find, keep in mind that since they have RV queen sized beds that are shorter, very likely the same will be true for king size. 

In my opinion you are wise to set a budget limit that you do not exceed, as I have known folks who bought more than the budget would fit, and as a result left the road because they were unable to meet the financial requirements that resulted. Find an RV that fits your needs and your budget and stick to your choice. 

As I said, our DP is 37 and works well.  It does have a Queen.  But it is almost (20 yrs old.  Assuming you are looking at something newer, you should be able to find a DP in that range with king sized bed.     Part of the fun is in the looking.   Remember to go through the motion of living in a rig.  Can you get to toilet, sink with slide in?  Refrigerator?   Can you comfortably sit on the toilet with any door closed?  Kick shoes off and get in shower and go through the motions.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 9/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, Barbaraok said:

Yep. My "desirable" RV is more along these lines . . . 2002 32' Country Coach Intrigue or 2005 34' Country Coach Allure.

2 hours ago, Dreamers said:

As for the king bed, I have set it as an absolute requirement.

I think we can find a motorhome that meets our living needs if we go to 36', but definitely 37'

Well, in a week you went from 30 - 35 feet to 36 - 37 feet. So in another week . . . you'll be at 40'? Just kidding. You said that you had rented and driven a Class C before. Have you driven a Class A?

I think you should try searching on RV length & king bed. Then see what's available. For example, here are a few, but they're over $100k . . .

36' 2017 Nexus Bently DP

36' 2017 Forest River DP

Edited by Zulu

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

4 hours ago, Dreamers said:

I think we can find a motorhome that meets our living needs if we go to 36', but definitely 37' (sorry Zulu, 40' will never fly for our first MH).

Take out a yardstick and see what 3' looks like.  If you're considering 37', 40' isn't a big difference. 😁

Seriously, while you're looking around compare the wheelbase.  When we went from a 33' 5th wheel we were determined not to go higher that a 38' MH.  We test drove many 38' ones and also 40' ones. The 38' had a 252' wheelbase; the 40' had 276" wheelbase.  The 40' with the longer wheelbase drove so much better.  Just sayin'!

If you ever start looking at used Newmar motorhomes, using this site you can see all the specs and floorplans and options available for the past years, including wheelbase.

https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-tools/brochures-archive/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

An upper end Diesel can be priced about the same as a newer gas unit..  The era from about 2001 to  2007 had a lot of great coaches, and they age well.  There have not been a lot of technological advances in most systems, so you are not stepping back in time.  A lot of the used coaches have upgraded the TV to digital, and many have replaced the fridge with a 110v model, and many have a washer/dryer, a huge feature for travel.

https://www.kenaicoach.com/DealerFiles/

He is in Junction City OR and has a number of coaches in your desired range and the sweet spot in years, and the price is in the $100,000 range.   He has been in the business for years.  Call and talk to him.

A couple blocks away is Premier, which Zulu cited.  The also have a current inventory of used coaches.  Louie Courteman handles the sales side.  They were employees of Country Coach and started a sales and service business when the company went out of business.

https://www.buybyebluebird.com/

This is a broker for Blue Bird Wanderlodge.  May be a bit harder to find a King bed in the earlier models.

There are likely other sites for other manufacturers.

Good luck in your search.

OK, seems like we are closing down on this topic.  I am quite happy with all of the advice.  We'll see if we ultimately go for the upper 30's for length or sacrifice something.  The driving school should help us to determine that answer. 

2gypsies and Zulu still think my yard trends in max length should/might continue but I don't have the agreement on the 36' yet, so don't hold your breath.  I decided to use a micrometer instead of a yardstick to measure it the extra 3 feet and it took forever.  Boy, that's a big difference.  You have both given good advice too.  We haven't been doing test drives in the past, but we weren't ready to buy.  We will start doing that if we find something good or very close.

Babaraok, your advice is right on, I know.  I have read it before and have followed it at dealers.  At the show, we couldn't truly check out access of the slides being in, but we want full access to the bathroom and rear bed with the slides in.  You never know when a nap might be in order.

Sandsys, I still lke your Winnebago.  I haven't seen any good used ones yet.

Kirk W, I agree about a set budget, mostly.  The budget was based more on what we felt would get the job done than on what we could afford.  We will need to have the more serious discussion on that to determine a range that we will stick to.  Our retirement seems to be in good shape financially.  At least based on our expectations.  Does your forum have discussions on reasonable cost expectations for extended, not full time, traveling?  Maybe we are underestimating things.  I'll start checking around on that.

Tee Jay, I almost left you out.  I don't like how you can't reply directly to individual comments.  I haven't seen Country Coach rated that well for reliability.  That seems to be mostly what they have at the dealership.  Are those better than I've heard?

2 hours ago, Dreamers said:

OK, seems like we are closing down on this topic.  I am quite happy with all of the advice.  We'll see if we ultimately go for the upper 30's for length or sacrifice something.  The driving school should help us to determine that answer.  (snip)

Tee Jay, I almost left you out.  I don't like how you can't reply directly to individual comments.  I haven't seen Country Coach rated that well for reliability.  That seems to be mostly what they have at the dealership.  Are those better than I've heard?

Maybe this is better?  I have a CC, and it is one on the best built coaches out there, with a proprietary chassis that is integrated with the body, rather than a body bolted on to a chassis.  In discussing quality and reliability, all the builders buy the parts and assemble them, so the issues are the parts on the one hand and the assembly on the other.  The one issue I have had In the last 40,000 miles was a gremlin in the Allison tranny causing it to not shift properly.  Looking, I don't see a King bed until about a 42' Intrigue, so maybe not suitable for you.  The bigger point is that older, well built DP coaches are available for the cost of a newer gas coach.  A broker/dealer nearer you who deals in DP will be a great help in finding what you want.  The RV MH business has always been a bit geographic, with some brands more common in the east than the west.  Bottom line, go for quality, not glitz.

If your budget is flexible, consider Newmar, they make diesel and gas. We have a 37 ft diesel with a sleep number king bed. (3717 floor plan, I also like 3709 or 3409 in the 2019 line-up. Floor plan numbers vary with each year). We definitely do not feel we need more space, if we trade this in, it will be for smaller, not bigger. I wrote about our recent experience on the Class A blog on this forum. I think you will be impressed by the Newmar brand.

I also wrote a post on the "Beginning RVing" about a week ago reflecting our first year experience full timing and included comments on what we spent.  There are lots of bloggers out there sharing their budgets. And ofcourse there are people who live on $1,500 month all the way to $10,000 or more per month. I looked at a wide variety of budgets, made adjustments based on our life style and made one for us. The most helpful to me were budgets from people who fulltimed in the same type of RV as us (ie class A couple vs single people in a van for example).

What I can say after one year, is that we spend about the same every month as we did in our sticks&bricks house. Our food/entertainment/cell plan etc spending is about the same on the road as it was in our house. The Mortgage payment, hoa fees, insurance, property taxes, utility bills etc are replaced by camp site fees, diesel, maintenance etc. We had a small mortgage (having planned and prepared for full timing for years), and we tend to stay in RV parks, maybe not always the free or cheapest option in a location, so that ofcourse may not be true for all.

Happy trails !

2019 Newmar Ventana, pulling a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport

I am not sure if this is the correct spot or not, if not I apologise.   I am looking at purchasing a used Class A.  What I am finding unnerving is multi-fold

1.  Buying directly from an individual, plunking down 70K in cash is very difficult for me.

2.  Can I trust the brokers?    RVTrader.com,  POPRVs.com,  some guy  named Sonny Baggett and sonnyb@popsells.com

What is the story on this type of stuff.  And especially checking out a used one from an individual seems daunting.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We will do our best to help. If you don't get enough answers, you should probably start a new thread with your questions. 

I have never bought an RV through RV Trader, but I think that if you do the actual purchase is between you and the seller. As far as buying from an individual, I would first make sure that the seller has a clear title. If he does not, then the transaction should be done at the office of the lien holder so that he can be paid as part of the deal and you get the title from him at that time. I would never buy any RV that I had not actually seen, no matter who the seller is and most people are far better off when buying a used RV if they pay for a professional inspection of the RV before you buy.