Finally going full-time

After 3 years of being on the road 1/2 time, I’m finally able to go full-time on Sept 3, when the sale of my house closes. People have said To me, “are you Crazy doing it at this time!  COVID-19, an usual hot spell, economy in turmoil, etc, etc.....”  But,  is there ever a good time.  I’ve come to believe after many years, if I don’t make the choice to follow my bliss, live my bliss, I will end up living a life of regrets, and that would be a real crime against myself.

I'm curious to hear from others who have gone full-time this year.  What was your experience?  Any regrets?  Any unusual challenges?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

Not FT here but from my reading of many blogs and posts here and on irv2...you shouldn't have any regrets or unusual challenges based upon your post of fulfilling your dreams. It appears that most campgrounds will remain open throughout the pandemic, perhaps with limited access to certain amenities. Keep us posted!

I went full-time in September last year, so am just completing my first year.

It’s been an interesting year.  I have no regrets and don’t plan to buy another house, cabin or even a park model yet.

My key thought since the pandemic started is “ALWAYS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.”  

Last year when I sold the house, I had plans to do a northern mid-west trip this summer, Escapade in Wyoming, visiting Wisconsin (my last lower 48 state) and the UP of Michigan, then returning south through Illinois to Branson in September where I was going to meet up with my sister and go to shows and play the tourist in a city I’ve heard about but another place I hadn’t been to.  Figured I’d finish the year in Texas, Livingston first then spending a week or two at various places in southern Texas, since I’ve never been south of San Antonio.  All that sounded like a fabulous way to start my life as a full-timer.

None of that has/will happen.  First a reservation I had near Yuma for a weekend was cancelled.  Then Escapade was cancelled.  Reports in March and April were that too many places had rolled up the welcome mat.  I was in one of Quartzsite’s LTVAs and stayed there as long as I could, knowing the heat would be more than I could deal with while dry camping eventually.  After a couple of weeks of frozen terror and indecision, I found a park in the mountains of Arizona where I stayed for 2 months.

Up until last winter most of my RV time had been spent traveling - maybe spending a week here or there, but moving on after that.  I had planned my first year with that type of traveling in mind, figured I’d slow down the second year (maybe).  I never thought I could deal with staying anywhere for 2 months, I couldn’t do more than 6 weeks at the house.

By the time I decided the park in Show Low would be fine for the rest of the summer (heaven forbid - actually stay one place for an entire SEASON?) they had a wait list. I called around and found a small park in Ruidoso - changing the Arizona mountains for the New Mexico mountains.

It’s difficult to be a tourist at this time - in New Mexico all the museums are closed (and there were some around here I would have liked to have visited) and state parks are closed to out of state people.  Other states have different rules.  It’s not nearly as fun to be a tourist as it’s been in the past.

So I’ve adapted.  I have a couple of hobbies that I’ve been doing to fill my time.  I keep in touch with people I know in the small mountain community I left behind (love zoom), more than before the pandemic.  Some of my part time camping friends are going to state parks and boondocking places and finding crowds and needing reservations.  I’d rather stay at my little park than deal with that.

I love being a tourist while I travel and I’ve found that a lot more limited than I would like.  I figure even though I COULD travel (and one of my friends is on his way from Yuma to Bozeman then to Kansas and Nebraska, possibly on to Tennessee before returning to Yuma, but he is spending his time visiting family and friends), I would get frustrated because of the limitations to being a tourist.

Many people here talk about slowing down when you are a full-timer and I am just learning how to do that sooner than I had expected.  It’s not that hard, just foreign to my nature.

Life doesn’t always work out the way you plan it.  Sometimes it’s better than you imagined, sometimes worse.

In my case it’s just been different.

Be flexible.  Take precautions.  Learn new things and keep in touch with old friends.

Our 1-yr FT anniversary was in March 2020.  We were workamping in LA near the TX border when COVID mania hit.  We had a w/k job in CO lined up for summer.  Wife wanted out of LA before an gov lock down happened, so we hit the road for CO a week or 2 earlier than planned.  Had zero problems finding FHU parks on the trip, commercial and municipal.

She wanted to visit Santa Fe en route, so we did.  Only stayed a few days because everything she wanted to see was closed due to COVID.  

We enjoy eating out, but COVID threw a wrench in that.  Carry out is not the same.  We're happy that restaurants are opening up.  

Have reservations in AZ for Nov - Jan.  With the borders looking like they will remain closed thru winter, our plans for Mexican dental care is likely out.  At least it may be easier to find various resorts to stay for Feb and Mar if Canadians stay north.  Or we may be able to extend in the place we'll be Nov - Jan, IDK.

Already have plans made for MT next summer.  If that changes, we'll go somewhere else.

As mentioned, flexibility is key, but there is no need to stay in one place unless you want to.  

BTW, we had people tell us last year wasn't a good time to go FT.  As you implied, there will always be reasons to NOT go FT.  But there will always be reason TO go FT.  No regrets here.  Well, except for all the stuff I had to give up that will eventually need to be replaced once off the road.  I already told the wife we'll be shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill.  No way I'm buying new stuff again.  And our next house will be MUCH smaller than our last house.  That will help limit the amount of stuff we buy, too.  But that is years away.

3 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Have reservations in AZ for Nov - Jan.  With the borders looking like they will remain closed thru winter, our plans for Mexican dental care is likely out. 

Dental care is available in Mexico. It's considered a necessity.  There is no closure for it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As of now the Los Algodones crossing is open 6 AM to 2 PM. Dental work and pharmacies open. But a word to the wise. The 2 PM closure means 2 PM. If in line as the gate goes shut, you will have to drive west to Mexicali or east to San Luis as the gates there are open longer. No excuses accepted, like "my GPS told me wrong, my watch quit" etc.

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

I already told the wife we'll be shopping at thrift stores and Goodwill.  No way I'm buying new stuff again.  And our next house will be MUCH smaller than our last house.  That will help limit the amount of stuff we buy, too.  But that is years way.

We went to IKEA and bought an apartment's worth of stuff and had it delivered. Easiest move we ever made. Yeah, it's cheap furniture but how many more years do we need it to last? And our Poang chairs and desk chairs are very comfortable.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/21/2020 at 6:01 PM, gypsydan said:

People have said To me, “are you Crazy doing it at this time!  COVID-19, an usual hot spell, economy in turmoil, etc, etc.....”  But,  is there ever a good time.

I've been full timing since 2013 and I think some times are actually better than others. To me 2020 (and probably 2021) aren't those better times.

I continue to run across people in denial or pretending that there's nothing to worry about traveling. They believe that if they're careful, it'll all be ok. 

However, you're obviously committed, so . . . be very careful because many others aren't.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

11 hours ago, Zulu said:

However, you're obviously committed, so . . . be very careful because many others aren't.

I agree with this remark. No matter what we do or when we do it, there is risk involved and each one of us must make the decisions and be responsible for the results. Today I believe that we would wait, but that is me and it is now that I am 20 years older than I was when we went on the road. Whatever you choose to do, you need to listen to science and be careful. Do not make the mistake of simply saying that we will be alright, but build something into your plan for what you will do, should bad things happen.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Fantastic replies from all of you. What I wanted to hear. I'm committed now, with a closing date of next week, so what happens will happen. I've been on the raod long enough that I hope I know what to do. I mostley boondock, so I will find out how that has changed. I bought a lot at Rovers Roost several years ago, before this heat wave.

The one issue I did not anticipate was this heat. I'm looking for a small a/c unit to suppliment the roof unit, but this has proved to be a challenge. I'm looking for something that will fit in the upper windows in the overhang (class C), but no luck to date. Hope I don't end up having to put in a unit in the big window, but we will see.

BTW, the smoke from CA is limiting visibility to what looks like about 15 miles here in Tucson. Another challenge?

Thanks again for your stories. Very interesting to see what others are experiencing. 

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

On 8/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, 2gypsies said:

Dental care is available in Mexico. It's considered a necessity.  There is no closure for it.

Thanks for that.  I had no idea.  But, the short border crossing opening time another poster mentioned will likely keep our dental care in the US...for this year, anyway.

6 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Fantastic replies from all of you. What I wanted to hear. I'm committed now, with a closing date of next week, so what happens will happen. I've been on the raod long enough that I hope I know what to do. I mostley boondock, so I will find out how that has changed. I bought a lot at Rovers Roost several years ago, before this heat wave.

The one issue I did not anticipate was this heat. I'm looking for a small a/c unit to suppliment the roof unit, but this has proved to be a challenge. I'm looking for something that will fit in the upper windows in the overhang (class C), but no luck to date. Hope I don't end up having to put in a unit in the big window, but we will see.

BTW, the smoke from CA is limiting visibility to what looks like about 15 miles here in Tucson. Another challenge?

Thanks again for your stories. Very interesting to see what others are experiencing. 

As far as heat goes, if you are going to be boondocking then head for the mountains, as high as you can get.  I was in Show Low for 2 months (and now in Ruidoso) and I’m happy I’ve been in campgrounds with full hookups because I’ve been using my AC.  It’s worked well enough when the temps are in the 90s but struggles when the temps go over 100F.  Last year I camped up to 117F and it wasn’t fun. 

And my sister just changed my plans, she sounded so down that I offered to give her a hand as she sells her house and moves.  She jumped on my offer so I’m now heading to Vegas and 100F instead of the 90s in Livingston.

At least I don’t have to worry about hurricanes!

They say the smoky haze we’ve been seeing here in Ruidoso is coming from Colorado and northern New Mexico, not so much for a fire that’s burning around 50 miles north of here.  Amazing.

10 hours ago, gypsydan said:

I believe the smoke you're seeing is from the fire in Tucson at Saguaro Nat'l Park.

I totally agree with FPMTNGAL ...... you need to go to higher elevation.  You'd be so much more comfortable at 7,000+ elevation. In Arizona that would be Flagstaff, Williams, Pinetop or Greer.  Other western states north it's easy to find spots where AC is not needed.  We'd boondock all summer without AC in many states.   Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, fpmtngal said:

As far as heat goes, if you are going to be boondocking then head for the mountains, as high as you can get.  I was in Show Low for 2 months (and now in Ruidoso) and I’m happy I’ve been in campgrounds with full hookups because I’ve been using my AC.  It’s worked well enough when the temps are in the 90s but struggles when the temps go over 100F.  Last year I camped up to 117F and it wasn’t fun. 

And my sister just changed my plans, she sounded so down that I offered to give her a hand as she sells her house and moves.  She jumped on my offer so I’m now heading to Vegas and 100F instead of the 90s in Livingston.

At least I don’t have to worry about hurricanes!

They say the smoky haze we’ve been seeing here in Ruidoso is coming from Colorado and northern New Mexico, not so much for a fire that’s burning around 50 miles north of here.  Amazing.

How did you like Show Low? We bought a place there in December but have not been in the summer. It up near Taylor, If the house sells maybe next summer.

I enjoyed it, it’s a pretty area and I went hiking a bit.  I didn’t do all that much exploring so there’s more up there to see than what I saw and I’d be happy to go back to the area.  You have the main stores you need in Show Low (looked like Snowflake was a pretty good-sized town too).  Traffic was worse there than here in Ruidoso, the main drawback.  Both areas are far more crowded on the weekends than during the week.

I did run the AC part of the time, but it was not running 24-7 like it would have been if I had stayed with a friend in Yuma.  I probably ran it no more than 3 hours on the days I did run it, so my power consumption was fairly low.

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2020 at 4:31 PM, fpmtngal said:

I was in Show Low for 2 months (and now in Ruidoso) 

Ruidoso is an interesting place. I lived their in 2005, on Sudderth, across from a large RV park with a creek going through it. The day I left Ruidoso I was sitting in the parking lot lamenting about never having seen a bear while their. As I’m lamenting, a black one walked behind my van and went into the park across the street. I love it when synchronicity shows up in my life. 

Edited by gypsydan
Spelling

In Ruidoso at a museum near the racetrack I saw a bear standing at a urinal in the men's room a few years back. Wish I was able to post that picture.  About a year ago I got to thinking and wondered what might have been happening in the ladies room.

If I could send it to someone on their phone could they post it here. I think I can send it. Mine is not a smart phone. It is a really antique one of some type on the verizon network.  Was 3G when I bought it.

We used to go to the Eagle Nest Campground near Ruidoso, on the way up to Ski Apache. The land was beautiful, but the campground itself wasn't very well maintained, and used regular galvanized trash cans without locking lids. The Black Bears got so comfortable in there that we finally stopped using the campground. It wasn't unusual to see 3 or 4 of them wandering around in the late afternoon, turning over trash cans and enjoying the bounty. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I love Ruidoso and could be easily talked into going back.  It’s more interesting to me than Show Low, and wish I were still there right now instead of Phoenix, where my AC is running most of the time.

I’m just starting my second year as a full-timer and am discovering new, unexpected challenges that need to be met.  Life is quite different when one doesn’t have a home-base anywhere.

2 hours ago, gypsydan said:

Ruidoso is an interesting place. I lived their in 2005, on Sudderth, across from a large RV park with a creek going through it. The day I left Ruidoso I was sitting in the parking lot lamenting about never having seen a bear while their. As I’m lamenting, a black one walked behind my van and went into the park across the street. I love it when synchronicity shows up in my life. 

I hope that you are doing well, and that your house closed on time.  I just spent the month of September helping my sister move out of her house in Vegas, it closed the end of the month.

We went full time 2-1/2 years ago.  This year COVID changed our travel plans.  We were planning on attending the Escapade in WY and traveling out west.  Instead we sat tight in FL for a few months to see how things shook out.  That is where the flexibility of RV living helped.  When hurricane season began to heat up we traveled up to Maine for the last half of summer. Evacuating to a shelter was not something we would consider and our RV has troubling flight characteristics in high winds.  We are now in VT and are spending 5 or 6 weeks heading back to FL to winter.  If something comes up we can move.

We did have to quarantine for two weeks when we came to Maine.  We will do the same when we move into our winter park.

The key to traveling safely is the same as the key to living safely in S & B - be careful.  You are not invulnerable because you live in a S & B or anywhere else.  Follow the science.  Wash hands.  Mask. Distance.  Avoid indoors.  I have no guarantee that I won't get it, but I have no guarantee living in S & B, either.

We do not go into stores or other businesses.  We get groceries either delivered or do curbside pickup.  Instacart is a good grocery delivery service (HINT-don't make tips a percentage of purchase price or you may find an unscrupulous shopper who substitutes more expensive items to increase the tip).  For areas that are not serviced by instacart, Walmarts have curbside grocery delivery.  We use Amazon and stores that do curbside.

We limit our activities to outside things such as golf, biking and hiking.  We do not participate in group activities.  The only exception was forming a pod with our eldest daughter and SIL in Maine.  We know they have solid health practices and we agreed to limit contact to the four of us.  With family members outside of that pod visits are conducted outside and distanced.

I've not had trouble making reservations except for Halloween.  Apparently that is a big family RV holiday.

So far, so good

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx & Wayne, may I say that you have presented the most concise, practical and encouraging outline for traveling safely and comfortably. It's folks like you who make the full-time lifestyle attractive and hope to meet you on the road someday when it's possible. Stay safe!