Finding Propane

Does anyone know of an app or website that can help me find places to refill the propane on my Class A coach? Usually I'll try the campground or a Flying J. My current campground doesn't have propane, and there are no Flying J stations along my route. Suggestions?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

We've found LP at Ace hardware, Tractor Supply, and similar stores, but as said, check with the campground office. One park sent us to a nearby competitor for LP and told us to tell them they sent us. We did, and were surprised to get a small discount...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Asking at the campground is usually the best way (or asking fellow campers).  Another way is to check Gas Buddy app.  There’s an option to choose stations that have propane.  A google search for propane in a city also got me to an independent dealer somewhere in Alaska one time, but it doesn’t always work well (I sometimes only see a company that’s installing and servicing residential tanks).

Many Love's Travel Stops have propane tank fill stations and there is usually plenty of room to maneuver there.  Call first to make sure the one you are considering is set up and staffed to fill an onboard tank in a motorhome, not just the portable cylinders.

Edited by Carolaow

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

11 hours ago, JimK said:

Many UHaul stores can fill propane cylinders.

If you have a motorized RV with a permanently installed propane tank, it is important to know that many of the places that fill portable bottles can not fill the fixed tanks. That is because they fill the tanks by weight and often do not have the appropriate fittings.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 hours ago, JimK said:

Many UHaul stores can fill propane cylinders.

I've found that most U-Haul locations aren't certified to fill anything larger than a 30 - 40 lb. cylinder. In my experience, their prices are also significantly higher than other sources.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

It can be an effort, so I advise getting propane before it gets too low.  We look around while driving around while camped and often find someplace that can fill a motorhome fixed tank.  Some RV dealers have propane cheap to get you in and as goodwill advertising, Bretz in Missoula MT and Awesome RV in Chehalis WA both do that.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I don't know if we're talking about a permanent or removable tank.

Propane is one of the hardest things to find using any app. Searches usually find some commercial place that doesn't serve RVs, and probably nowhere near you.  In a pinch most grocery stores, filling stations and big box stores have exchanges, but again I've never found any listing of those other than google map street view and just 'drive' the street and try to see one.

Edited by hemsteadc