550 highway

We've driven it often both directions but then we're love mountain drives and we're used to it.  If you have no experience on a 'big' mountain you may not like it.  Are you staying in Ouray?  If so, take your toad on the drive to see how you feel about it.  Ouraynorth to  south is more difficult for the driver  and/or passenger than south to north.  You will be on the drop-off side with no shoulder and no room for error if you get out of your lane.  The 'bad' part begins soon after you leave Ouray for about 5 miles or so.  It gets much better!

Where are you heading?  You could also take Hwy 62 from Ridgway (just north of Ouray) which will take you to 145 down to Cortez (Mesa Verde Nat'l Park).  It's still a mountain drive at the top end but it's easier that 550.

Gorgeous country!  One of our favorites.  We've spent a lot of time in Silverton 4-wheeling.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In your jeep time around Ouray have you drove up to Yankee Boy Basin. Not a bad drive but if either driver had a problem with that, stay away 550 south. My Mother in law told me "Clay watch the road as they don't have room for a white line in the side." That was some time ago. My present wife likes Ouray because it is looking up but to get to Cortez, we took Hwy 62 west from Ridgway to the San Migel river. Then down stream headed to Norwood. Leaving the river and climbing out of the Canyon my wife did cover head to prevent looking down. I took her to the Black Canyon and she wouldn't get out of the truck.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Good morning a question for 2gypsies or anyone who has done a lot of mountain driving ,when shifting down an using the engine brake have you ever shifted as low to 1st gear .I have been shifting down to 3rd an when I turn on the engine brake it automatically shifts it into 2nd , an I have the flashers on in 3rd gear bur when it goes into 2nd the flashers appear to go on steady no more flashing not sure if  this ic common . Thanks Rick

We never used flashers.  I can't recall ever having to be in first gear.  The engine brake held us back very well with just a occasional brake pedal usage.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I have pulled some pretty big loads with a semi over hwy 550.  Trying to stay in your own lane with a trailer can be somewhat difficult but mostly doable.  I use whatever gear is necessary to hold the speed in check.  One time when decending Eisenhower with a pu and a heavily loaded trailer I used granny gear all the way to the bottom.  Better to go slow and be safe.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Here is a update on my driving of hwy 550 , left Ouray an drove into Silverton stopped and did the mine tour ,highly recommend this tour we then left Silverton an on into Durango where we will be for 4 days .Had no issues driving 550 it does have plenty of switchbacks an down grades we just took our time used the engine brake when needed did not go into first . I believe I can now say I have done mountain driving ?Thanks for all the input .Rick