Singling the Volvo.

trimster

I was looking at a tandem. I was just going to take the inside duels off and run singles. Then  mount one of the ones I took off someplace as a spare. But I found this single axle truck and bough it instead.

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

My truck was singled long when I purchased. I did have the option of a short at the same time, but liked the looks of the long better. I had no idea what I was really doing at the time and maybe still don't. 

Since the initial purchase I have gone from an ET Senior to a conventional hitch. It is a slider, but I have set it and haven't moved it since. The frame behind the axles has been lengthened and then shortened depending on the size of my Drom box. I'm pretty sure I'm done with the frame work on this truck. Had I known I would have been able to get the trailer I have now when I was looking for a truck I would have stayed tandem on the rear and most likely would have gone with the super singles at some point. If I'm able to replace my current HDT someday I will go that way. 

Life is full of choices, each of us have the reasons why we do what we do. Sharing the experiences here is a way of finding things to think about that you may not have known. Thanks to all who participate. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

20 hours ago, geodog said:

I replaced my drive tires two at a time. Started on outside duals.

ShortyO

Not that it's going to make a huge difference in they typical person here, but when you put a new tire with an older tire. The new one wears down to the size of the old pretty fast, or so I've been told. 

If you are able to run "steers" on the rear and they are the same size as the drives, get two new steer tires and move two to the back. Maybe the size will be a bit more close. When it's possible to buy another two, do the same. Seems like a good idea to me, but won't work with super singles. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

There really is no right or wrong way to do it. I remember being in your shoes. Trying to make all these decisions. I was short on time too. I Only had 3 months to get my truck built and on the road before we left on vacation. Really in the end there is only a couple things I would have done different.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

3 hours ago, lappir said:

Not that it's going to make a huge difference in they typical person here, but when you put a new tire with an older tire. The new one wears down to the size of the old pretty fast, or so I've been told. 

If you are able to run "steers" on the rear and they are the same size as the drives, get two new steer tires and move two to the back. Maybe the size will be a bit more close. When it's possible to buy another two, do the same. Seems like a good idea to me, but won't work with super singles. 

Rod

From prior experience growing up under a truck with a wrench in my hand...

If you are going to put on two tires put them on the same wheel position. That way you have a pair together.

Starting tires on the steers is not a good idea. They are much better off to start on the drives. We used to order trucks with XZA1s all the way around. After 20k or so we would pull the rears and put them on the steer of other trucks. Would hardly ever get any uneven wear by breaking them in that way.

2 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

From prior experience growing up under a truck with a wrench in my hand...

If you are going to put on two tires put them on the same wheel position. That way you have a pair together.

Starting tires on the steers is not a good idea. They are much better off to start on the drives. We used to order trucks with XZA1s all the way around. After 20k or so we would pull the rears and put them on the steer of other trucks. Would hardly ever get any uneven wear by breaking them in that way.

That is very interesting. When I first got my truck it had new rubber on steers. It drove horrible for a long time. Then got decent. Is that what caused this? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Just a heads up, for those thinking of talking to the tire shop guys. Super single tires and wide-base tires aren't the same thing, and the names aren't interchangeable. Wide base tires are what you see on the steer axle of concrete trucks and heavy gravel trucks. Super singles are the same rough size as a pair of tires in a dual configuration. Tire guys will look over the top of their glasses at you, if you insist on wide-base rears.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:46 PM, GlennWest said:

That is very interesting. When I first got my truck it had new rubber on steers. It drove horrible for a long time. Then got decent. Is that what caused this? 

Some tread patterns squirm a lot when new. Breaking in the steer tires on the drives wouldn’t eliminate it, but would greatly reduce it. The big thing was no feathering, cupping etc.

When the fleet was only 10-12 trucks, we would run rib tires in the summer to save fuel, and switch to snows for winter. Those rib tires would last forever and a day on the drives.

I noticed a significant drop in fuel mileage going to singles. I did go to a much more aggressive tread than I had previously.

How many miles had accumulated on those singles? As I mentioned earlier, they do take quite awhile to 'break in'...or 'wear in' and that includes the possible slight mpg decrease then slight mpg increase.

Its common to buy them with aggressive shoulder or tread block patterns to make up for the loss of 4 sidewalls per axle, so this can also increase rolling resistance, and decrease mpg, especially when they are new.  And something that is often not taken into account is the slightly larger (or slightly smaller) tire circumference, and if you do not know, or do not bother to have your ECM made aware of this (tire revolutions per mile) you may get erroneous  or false MPG readings from your on board gauges and instruments. 

Edited by podwerkz
layout

Nothing to see here. 

1 hour ago, Moresmoke said:

Some tread patterns squirm a lot when new. Breaking in the steer tires on the drives wouldn’t eliminate it, but would greatly reduce it. The big thing was no feathering, cupping etc.

When the fleet was only 10-12 trucks, we would run rib tires in the summer to save fuel, and switch to snows for winter. Those rib tires would last forever and a day on the drives.

Yes, it squirmed badly. I rebuilt front axle and it still did it. Mostly gone now thankfully.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Can anybody simply answer his question?  Which was NOT "should I single long", it was "does any body know a shop in my area?"  Every time anybody mentions singling on this forum it devolves into a free for all on single/tandem/short/long/mid/duals/super single and everybody is sure they are right and everybody else is wrong.  Just answer the man's question.

3 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

Can anybody simply answer his question?  Which was NOT "should I single long", it was "does any body know a shop in my area?"  Every time anybody mentions singling on this forum it devolves into a free for all on single/tandem/short/long/mid/duals/super single and everybody is sure they are right and everybody else is wrong.  Just answer the man's question.

Ummm... go back and read the 7th post on the first page, and you'll see who answered what, and why.  You might try reading ALL the posts in a thread before getting your panties in a bunch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net