Residential Toilet

Rick

Has anyone actually installed a residential toilet in your rv? We have a very nice china bowl in our motorhome, I just don't like rv toilets. I was thinking if one was installed a ball valve could be installed in line to turn the water off while traveling. Just flush the toilet after turning the valve off will take care of having water in the take while going down the road.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

RV toilets have a positive seal between the toilet bowl and the tank.  House toilets rely on water in a P-trap to make a gas-tight seal in the drain line and prevent sewer odors getting into the house.

Water will slosh out of the P-trap as you go down the road,  leading to an open path for tank odors to come into the RV.

Edited by Lou Schneider

A residential toilet uses WAY more water per flush than an RV toilet.  You will quickly fill the RV black tank with not many flushes (depending on tank size).  If you are always connected to full hook ups, this may not be an issue, but if you ever stay anywhere without hook ups it could become a problem pretty quickly.

My current RV has a macerator toilet.  It adds water to the bowl before every flush to assist the maceration process.  The amount of water is nowhere near what a residential toilet uses, but more than a typical RV toilet.  I cannot go as long between black tank dumps with this RV (with a larger black tank) than I could with my previous RV with a standard RV toilet.  I wouldn’t even want to think about trying to use a residential toilet.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Both replies about are valid. The typical new flush toilet today uses about 1.6 gallons of water per flush, while an RV toilet uses 1/2 gallon or less, depending on the person using it. If there are no solids, the RV toilet can use much less than that. Even the modern two level flush toilets today use nearly a gallon on the minimal flush. In addition to the problems of water volume and maintaining a seal, there is also the problem of the needed tank of water for the flush action which will probably slop while traveling and the extra space that it would require. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI