amarie1

Road trip: how often to dump tanks?

Some folks are simply lazy and use convenience as an excuse . I do the same , when it's convenient . :)

As for what might crawl up the sewer line , cockroaches for one . Some I've seen in a city park sewer that were an inch and a half long . Guaranteed , they don't mind running up a sticky , stinky hose . 

I just don't need/want that kind of aggravation/trouble . 

Anyway , you're gonna do what ever it is you're gonna do . Hopefully you catch every thing on sale . ;)

I have always traveled with a full  fresh water tank, JIC we unexpectedly dry camp that night, or one of us have an "accident" and require a shower..We're old ya'know. The choice/ability to do this totally depends upon the actual carrying capacity of your RV. Trying to save weight just in hope of a smidge better fuel mileage does not help mileage enough to calculate.

When It is convenient I will empty the black tank(regardless of amount) and use the tank flush feature to insure no solids remain, again JIC.

As to the gray tank, occasionally DW will start a load of clothes just before we depart, and it's finished when we arrive at the next stop. Out gray tank will hold 2 loads of wash water with enough space left to hold the water of washing hands and dishes,  etc.

Matter of fact, our MH drives and handles better with full fresh water and full fuel tank.

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Matter of fact, our MH drives and handles better with full fresh water and full fuel tank.

Same here . ;)

Our Foretravel has decent-sized tanks, and we've gotten used to how long we can go before needing to fill/dump. When traveling I plan on dumping and filling when we arrive at a campground. One park we like has only electricity at the sites. You dump and fill at the dump station, which is conveniently located for people leaving, but is still possible for arrivals to get in and out.

Why not dump when leaving? I think that everything sloshing around gets it all mixed better, so that more stuff dumps out. Like others, we have a third valve, so the procedure is this: hook up the stinky slinky; open the third valve; open and immediately close the grey valve to check for leaks, poor connection, etc.; if all okay, dump black tank; leave black valve open and dump a bit of grey; repeat as often as necessary until no more brown water; close black valve and finish dumping grey tank. I wear disposable gloves for all of this. When everything is done and cleaned up, I throw the gloves away and hook up the fresh water hose.

You will work out your own system. Whatever you settle on, though, follow it every time. Don't let someone distract you while filling and dumping. We can all tell stories of what we've seen others do.

I was boon docking recently I can usually go two and a half weeks before my black tank is almost full but grey tank is another story. one day I was thinking my grey tank was getting close( dang sensors seem to give false readings) after washing up and brushing teeth in sink I noticed grey water just starting to come up through the drain in shower. I hooked up hose and drained  some of the grey water into a 5 gallon bucket then went and found a dump site. First time it ever happened to me. I'm new enough that I'm still having firsts 

GtG 

34 minutes ago, George the greek said:

I noticed grey water just starting to come up through the drain in shower.

That is the absolute indication of a gray tank full condition. It is one of the things that for all RV folks either has happened or will happen. I have experienced that many times over the years.