Jackalopee Trailer/Truck Converter

trimster

Suggest not mounting where the Jackalopee will be in direct sunlight.  Mine warped slightly, but still works fine.

I do recommend it as it made the conversion so easy.  The instructions are fantastic and it made the set up seemless.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

6 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Suggest not mounting where the Jackalopee will be in direct sunlight.  Mine warped slightly, but still works fine.

I do recommend it as it made the conversion so easy.  The instructions are fantastic and it made the set up seemless.

My box is mounted on the back outside wall.  For about 5 years now I've noticed condensation inside the box on the clear plastic cover.  It shows up everytime when it rains.  I've tried taping all the openings but that didn't help.  I now have a piece of thick milled black plastic garbage bag taped over it.  Thinking about relocating box into my left side storage compartment.  Has anyone else done this before and if so...how did it work out?

1 hour ago, chief916 said:

My box is mounted on the back outside wall.  For about 5 years now I've noticed condensation inside the box on the clear plastic cover.  It shows up everytime when it rains.  I've tried taping all the openings but that didn't help.  I now have a piece of thick milled black plastic garbage bag taped over it.  Thinking about relocating box into my left side storage compartment.  Has anyone else done this before and if so...how did it work out?

Could the water inside issue be a result of condensation from the humidity in the air in the enclosure?  It likely wouldnt take much to make water even if the box was watertight.  Just a few heat/cool cycles and you have it.  Wonder is venting the bottom somehow could help.  Maybe something like a duck bill device like you see on boats or a couple small louvers.

Marcel

6 hours ago, trimster said:

Thoughts on these as the interface from the hdt to trailer solution?

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think there is some old threads about the subject somewhere on the forum. But I can't find it right now. I even have a picture or to for you on how I did mind but I can't send it because the file is to big. I was trying to send it to by a p/m..Sorry about that. It just won't go.

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Bob,

I think there is some old threads about the subject somewhere on the forum. But I can't find it right now. I even have a picture or to for you on how I did mind but I can't send it because the file is to big. I was trying to send it to by a p/m..Sorry about that. It just won't go.

I hope this thread will help.

The Jackaloppee is waterproof to commercial standards, the screws and cover are gasket-ed, the cables and wires go through pass-throughs which seal those by cranking the outer nut and compressing the rubber seals. Everything is relative, are these to the standard of Virginia class submarine seals on torpedo doors and periscope, NO. Have I seen water in Jackalopees, yes. Big5er had his mounted under the ET in the back of his truck, with a 15 foot wire run from the DOT plug. There was 2 inches of water in his Jackalopee and the sucker still worked, "kind off".

The culprit is not the case or it's seals, it's the cable and wires going into it. It's not molded it's sheathed.

4RZgzfcl.jpg

peJqx4Kl.jpg

8LAkBTol.jpg

The outer jacket somewhat conforms to the outside wires in the bundle, but the gaps between individual conductors are not filled and able to transmit moisture down the cable.With the successive hot and cold cycle and moisture in the air, water will travel down the cable. That's why it's suggested that the unit is mounted above the plugs and sockets to which it is connected and that the cables go up to it rather than down to it.

FJuAIiLl.jpg

The last area where moisture gets into the unit are the individual wires going into the unit from batteries, brake controller, back-up lights, etc. The pass--throughs will seal around those wires if you tighten the outside nut, but will not close a hole if you leave it empty.

KTWJFe0l.jpg

Therefore, insert a short length of wire into any unused wire hole (10 gauge on the truck side, 16 gauge on the trailer side) to keep the moisture from entering the unit.

Edited by phoenix2013

Our Jackalopee used to be on top of the bed, clear side up.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  It got water in it.  Enough to fry the board.  Henry sent me a new board for a reasonable price.  Now it's mounted much like the picture he posted, so water can't migrate through the cord.

Other than having two of the relays go flakey and cause weird light issues, the unit has been trouble free for over 5 years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Could the water inside issue be a result of condensation from the humidity in the air in the enclosure?  It likely wouldnt take much to make water even if the box was watertight.  Just a few heat/cool cycles and you have it.  Wonder is venting the bottom somehow could help.  Maybe something like a duck bill device like you see on boats or a couple small louvers.

Rpsinc, thanks for the comeback.  I am going to go over my box with some clear sealant and see what that will do.  Never thought about moisture entering through the wires.... I'll crank those nuts down and pot them as well. I  Also have a can of Deoxit5 that I could spray on the exposed wires inside the box.

Not sure that those steps will eliminate the moisture.  If there is a way for ANY air infiltration then you also have humidity which will collect and become wet inside when you get some heat from the expansion/contraction.  I think I would add a couple 1/8" weep holes on the underside of the box to equalize that inside air.

Marcel

chief916, rpsinc, I actually did not discover the cable being the culprit, it was a customer who made it "his mission" to discover the cause of collecting moisture inside the Jackalopee. After going through the unit and sealing all the possible places of infiltration, it still kept allowing moisture to collect. He then "attacked" the ends of the truck entry cable and trailer out cable. He silicon-ed the area where the wires come out from the jacket but more importantly he drove the silicone in between individual wires to eliminate the gaps between them. He reported that this did the trick.  

I bet it did.  And I would think he was very happy UNTIL he needed to do some troubleshooting in that box and needed to pull those wires.  Oh boy, that might be a pain.  I recently did a job that required pulling 1 new wire from a device to a new control panel,  needed 9 wires and previous equipment had 8 available.  On some of the locations(I was doing 7 the same) the previous guys had done that same caulking job described by Henry above.  It took me longer to get the caulkling out of my way than it did to do the whole rest of the job, and what a pain.

It is amazing though, to consider how moisture will appear as a matter of consendation because of heating and cooling cycles.

Marcel

• Phil D changed the title to Jackalopee Trailer/Truck Converter
On 8/14/2020 at 9:45 AM, chief916 said:

Mine is inside the storage area drivers side.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Guys,

My Jackalopee is also mounted to the back wall inside the storage area with no condensation problems. Also being inside the storage area you don't need to make it water tight. I have an extra hole that is open. No need to plug it up. Also on my back wall I have a 3/4" piece of plywood (that because that's what I had laying around) that I use to mounts things to. 

Al

I can think of one downside to locating the Jackalopee inside.  It makes it inconvenient to use the led's for trouble shooting trailer light issues.  Mine's mounted to the rear of the cab, where I can see it when standing behind or along side the truck, unless the smart is loaded.

No more moisture issues since I remounted so that all cords drape down away from the Jackalopee.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net