Road Blocks

SuiteSuccess

Has anyone had any issues in their travels, especially in going through major cities, with the “peaceful protesters “ blocking roads?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

12 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

No, not yet... But Chicago is supposed to have some highway "Protest" this weekend.... they already got the permit....

Jim,

How can you find out if one is planned?  We have a trip scheduled soon going through several major cities that would be difficult to skirt around. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Google"Road closures or Special Event Permits" for the cities you need to pass thru.  I don't thing you'll have an issue though.   I would try to pass thru the cities after rush hour, before 2pm or so to avoid the afternoon/evening.  But as much as I hate rush hour traffic, no one protests at 7am.... too many people would willingly move said protesters out of the way....  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

The was a posting recently on Facebook from a trucking co announcing a protest. I won’t rant here on the Boobs, losers and Morons BLM or the Pantitifa crowd. It would be mice for a web site giving this info. Suffice to say, I have cancelled our trip East this fall as we would be on the road on Election Day. I know one is not supposed to get political here, but so be it. 

Chuck,

Yes it is political but that is not the intention of my post. It is a safety issue. The same as any other issue that affect us  as a group. Sharing of information and places to avoid is important. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I agree. We chose to cancel you trip East because of politics. The wisest thing to do is to stay put in AZ. It does not make me happy. Nor does being run out of Cali because of politics.  Safety is first. I do not want to be put in a position of being on a highway dead stop and confronted. As I stated on Facebook, it would not end well for the opposition. 

So far since when we left in mid June we have not encountered any issues, we drove right out I-70 to mid Kansas then dropped down thru Co to New Mexico then up I-25  into Co for one stop then onto Wyoming then up to SD across 90 now back in In. I did see the Facebook post regarding what Jim said about Chicago. Most major cities we went thru was planned midweek and if at all possible used the by-pass route around the city. We would plan to leave by 9am to miss the work traffic and usually planned around 5-6  hour drive time and it has worked well for us, good luck and drive safe.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

13 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Hmm , can't think of a single back road ( US highways or less :) ) that I've ever seen a protester on or even along side of . 

As for major cities , we do our best to avoid crowds . Always have and likely always will . 

I motored down a 100 mile section of The Great Basin Highway once.  Met a pickup and a big truck. We all waved.  Not in protest more like "howdy".

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I got stuck for HOURS driving though Chicago (while on MAJOR roadways) on two occasions even though I started through in the early afternoon. I've always had my best luck in going THROUGH big cities after 9:00 PM and before 5:AM (2100~0500). Once through, I pull into a rest area or place like a Denny's / Flying J if I need to. Using this strategy, I got through Chicago in about 35 minutes.

We were stopped outside the town of Granada AZ.  If my memory is right.  Anyhow there had been a shootout in the town and they stopped all traffic for 3+  hours.  Within a short time after we were stopped there was air support and lots of cops from multiple jurisdictions swarming the area.  Eventually things comed down and we were on our way again.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

All the years of traveling and towing we only had two shutdowns whether thru or around cities. A number of years ago we were on the beltway on the north side of St. Louis. Came to halt both directions. Turns out traffic was shut down for the Pope to fly into Lindbergh Field. During the Obama years we were coming out Boulder Highway in Henderson (Vegas). All of sudden Chopper Cops and big show of force closed down Boulder Highway. Turns out the Prez was headed out to Lake Las Vegas after a speech nearby. Personally, we don't pay much attention to it. Was in Sin City when the protesters, rioters or whatever were doing their thing this past spring, never did anything to motoring around.

We got rerouted in Arizona once because of a political shooting but it was a minor detour in our small motorhome.

What was more irritating was, before we went full time, a sitting president was visiting west of Mpls for a fund raiser in support of a local candidate and, without notice, they shut down a whole bunch of highways two hours before he was due to land. A whole bunch because they didn't want to advertise what route he would take. I was late to a medical appointment that day. Part of the problem was they closed freeway access ramps at the bottom instead of at the top so those of us who got caught had to turn around on the ramp and drive back up the wrong way then safely get back on the main road. Not fun!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van