TX

Rim Runner

Here are your answers....on an Escapees post from the search function

https://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/125345-texas-class-a-or-b-license-upgrade-faqs/?tab=comments#comment-868304

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I took the tests about a year ago in Livingston, TX...the DMV is pretty familiar with the process due to the Escapees HQ nearby. Decently easy written, and not much to the driving part.  The link above is right on.  Having talked to several in the Austin DMV, either an A or a B will work for a heavy MH or truck/trailer, not sure they know which is which.

Save yourself the time, stress and hassle. Use the Escapees South Dakota address and you don’t need any special license. Only requires a one night stay anywhere in the State, hotel or campground. You can also renew your registration via the mail with no inspection required. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

28 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Save yourself the time, stress and hassle. Use the Escapees South Dakota address and you don’t need any special license. Only requires a one night stay anywhere in the State, hotel or campground. You can also renew your registration via the mail with no inspection required. 

The test for the class A or B class license is not that hard or that inconvenient.  Frankly, if you can't pass the test, you need to hang up the keys.

Also, the annual inspection is a non issue if you are out of state, you simply mark the box that you are out of state and get the stickers mailed to you.  You then have 72 hours once you reach your destination in Texas to get the inspection on your return.

Yes, it may be delays in getting the license and tags done due to reduced staffing with the COVID19, but it can get done.  But expect delays anywhere in the country.  After the bike rally, I don't think SD will be safe now.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

13 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I have never understood why so many of us think that others should do as we choose to do? Domicile is a complex issue and one that few people put much effort into choosing. Problems arising from having less than a clearly defined domicile are pretty rare, but when they do arise it can be disastrous. About 10 or more years ago I did some research on the results of domicile disputes and the one I most remember was an RV fulltimer's will that was overturned after his passing, based on the court decision of what his domicile actually was. He had remarried with a new will but it was overturned. As I recall, he was claiming SD and had a new will executed there, but the court involved was in his original domicile state where most assets were located. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI