The GITS are flying again

Wrknrvr

So this week I have seen two flocks GITS flying overhead. So it must be time to think if it is getting time to travel south for the winter. The wheat is starting to be harvested also so that means the GITS will have feed for there migration south also.

We are note going south this winter. Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr
Missed spelled

Yes Vern, a couple of mornings last week here at Kalispell City Airport, they worked the east side of the runway, then relocated to west side.

We have an unwritten rule that if we are still in Montana for Labor Day weekend, the Tuesday following Labor day Monday we are gone.

Edited by bobsallyh

GITS are grease in training. 

Twice now I have seen small flocks flying around and you can see they keep changing positions like they are learning how to travel together. At the same time they can learn to land in cut wheat or other grain fields for feeding.

Last year we had about 20 swans in training for some time. As they started more and more fights then one day they headed directly south and gained altitude and they were gone.

We do have 4 young swans on a pond down the road from us this year.

Later in the year some geese will be flying higher and headed south, then the locals will join them.

But are just going wave them as we are not headed south this year.

Safe Travels,    Vern

I finally got a picture of GITS. I consider young uncontrollable geese learning to fly in a group is interesting to watch. 

7ORvYUnl.jpg

So with being in Montana for a number of summers I have noticed grease flying in odd formations. And I really would not calling it a formation at all. It is about this time of year.that I see them. They are probably looking for fields that have just been harvested for easy food.

It looks like the parents are trying to get the kids to figure out how to fly in a V formation like you normally see them. They are usually fairly low in elevation so I can watch them closely. It looks as they flip and flop around like kids being bad. 

More fun than watching covidiots in stores.

Vern

I was out riding around on a bit of a gravel road crop tour.  I ride by this field pea crop that has one fairly ripe patch about 10 - 15 yards in diameter on top of a little knoll, the other 150 acres are pretty green....ripening peas turn a tan color...

And there they are - a dozen geese in the only patch of ripe peas dining away, just the heads and a half a neck showing as they up periscope to look at me riding by 🤣

Due to climate change we have lots of water back again rather than dry slough (pond) bottoms and creeks on this area of the Great Plains Wetlands.  Lots of water fowl nesting all summer again. Duck numbers were way down and are on the rise again. 

Not goose related but a couple weeks back I am puttin along our road coming to where it crosses a slough (pond) lots of water right up to the edges of the road. A pair of mallards - hen and drake - land on the road - they haven't even stowed their wings when this mud hen hits the gas about 30 ft from shore, does the mud hen across the water and right up on the road and puts the run on the mallards - they take off to save their lives - mud hen neck straight out feet just a goin - doesn't even break stride all the way across the road and into the water on the other side. 

I really should be runnin a helmet cam...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well the  GITS have been really coming along in there flight training. Only a occasional one gets out of position. The fields have been harvested so food is available for practice landing and takeoff in flocks.

There are  a pair of swans with 4 youngsters on a local pond. I have not seen them flying yet. I do think they were later than the geese flying around in test flights.

I do think the Canadian snowbird restrictions even affects the geese. I have not seen one flock up high in a trans state flight pattern yet.

Or they are waiting for smoke mask to be distributed for lung protection.  Or maybe they are flying blind in the smoke.  Even flying in circles north of the border. Just waiting for the ok to go south for the winter.

The north of the boarder flocks may have gone east of the divide for better navigation with less smoke.

Be safe,     Vern in a T-shirt 

We watched a family of trumpeter swans go through flight lessons on the lake at Harriman State Park in Idaho about 15 years ago. It was fascinating to observe I spent a lot of time where I could watch. As I remember the cygnets were flying by this time of year but we were told that trumpeters there do not migrate and most winters a few more from Canada would arrive to winter with them. We left to go south in mid October. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI