Dishonest customers

I have been doing mobile rv repair since 2008. I have enjoyed working on rv’s and meeting many people from different walks of life. Several customers have become friends over the years I have worked on pop ups to new buss conversions. We have traveled the country and working in many states.

Then covid entered our world. At first we did not understand what was going to happen. I was working in Arizona for the winter. One day in early March I realizes how many people I shook hands with over the last few weeks. We went to the locate parade, went to two Elks lodge meets in private room with maybe 100 people. Went to the local Elks lodge every Friday night for dinner. Went to several rodeos events in the last three weeks in Arizona..

I flat out quit working, shaking hands, hugging people and quit petting puppies as they walked by.

So back in Montana I really debated working. Decided to only work on Aquahot heating systems. This decision was mine and my wife’s agreement. We have gained much knowledge about The covid situation since we left Arizona. Apparently there are some old customers that do not understand our situation. Nor do they care who they infect or hurt.

But I will say that they really do not care about my life or my wife’s life. 

The last three customers out of maybe 10 all summer have flat out lied to me. I ask about going to eat or them going to bars before I agree to come to their rv and do the work. And no work inside the rv. The last three have had a slip up of words about going to eat together or with other people while I am standing there.

Just my experience,   Vern

I am also self-employed (tax preparer with a storefront). I closed my office on March 12th to foot traffic. Clients dropped their info off thru my mail slot or uploaded via secure portal.

When I reopened office to in person service with new precautions (on May 26), I was shocked at how many people would walk in with no mask. Many had obviously not grasped the seriousness of the pandemic.

If you are serving the general public, you must have strict rules in order to keep your business safe. No exceptions.

3 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I flat out quit working, shaking hands, hugging people and quit petting puppies as they walked by.

But I will say that they really do not care about my life or my wife’s life. 

The last three customers out of maybe 10 all summer have flat out lied to me. I ask about going to eat or them going to bars before I agree to come to their rv and do the work. And no work inside the rv. The last three have had a slip up of words about going to eat together or with other people while I am standing there.

Just my experience,   Vern

I sympathize with you.   I am still in Arizona, good location all things considered... good people... but I am amazed at how many folks of my similar status (Retired) that ignore standard CDC recommendations on dealing with the virus.   When I greet people now, I immediately smile  at them and say, "we are practicing CDC recommendations"... stay at six feet, no handshake, and avoid gathering close.   But seems like I have to take the initiative.   At this pace, I think it's going to be a long pandemic.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

I am similarly confused about the attitude of people.  I am still working, self-employed contractor but I work in warehouses and distribution centers.  Many of the companies have instituted protocols to require all personel inside to wear masks all the time.  If outside, which much of my work is, and with distancing(I often work alone) then can go without it, but always put one on when I go inside or someone comes to contact me.

It is such a simple action to take and just has some helpful efforts to others and me.  It sometimes interferes with my breathing, mostly when doing some physical activity but I try to be respectful and consider others and myself.  It is what I can do in todays situation and it doesnt affect my life much.  I have scaled back my activities, which is another thing I can do.  Thankfully I can afford to work less but for how long is yet to be seen.  My wife is older than me and is mostly in the house, so exposure is something I also consider in my decisions.

The numbers of cases that are being reported are a simple indicator that help is needed to mitigate this thing, and we each can do mask wearing.  It is in our own and others best interest.  It is a simple thing and certainly what I am willing to do.

Marcel

Well, It finally happened here in our Co-OP park. Two people (unknown) have been diagnosed with Covid-19 in just the last couple of days. So now we are a total face mask wearing park, period.

They have been in our activities building, so now that's totally closed until farther notice.

If these people who don't follow the CDC  guidelines start taking this virus more serious, we're never going to get this virus under control. 

The masks were never intended to stop the virus--just to slow the infection rate so those who most need the masks could get the ones available until production of masks could ramp up. Slowing the rate means extending the time since it doesn't change the number of infections likely to happen. I'm willing for those who chose not to care about me to get the virus to increase herd immunity. But, they do need to wear a mask around me since I don't want to be one of the dead ones.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Where I volunteer our front office is closed for most purposes but we still have to have some people come in. Some are from major employers like UPS for example. Nice lady but she invariably does not wear a mask. She  likes to use our indoor toilet and fill her water bottle at our water fountain.  Some will have it down and pull it up just before they come in or when asked  but some won't. I had a real hard time letting an elevator inspector come in since he claimed he could wear one for medical reasons. I just kept my distance but I think he might have heard me say bull----. It doesn't help that some employees are "just over it" are going to "enjoy" their life.  Most will never get how serious it is until someone personal in their family gets it. It may just be a matter of time before I quit volunteering here.  I have stopped working the front desk with one employee but I will work alone if she is off.

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

The masks were never intended to stop the virus--just to slow the infection rate so those who most need the masks could get the ones available until production of masks could ramp up. Slowing the rate means extending the time since it doesn't change the number of infections likely to happen. I'm willing for those who chose not to care about me to get the virus to increase herd immunity. But, they do need to wear a mask around me since I don't want to be one of the dead ones.

Linda

Masks help to reduce likelihood of infection before we get a vaccine.  If both people wear them and keep distances, etc, you end up with areas where the virus dies out, like New Zealand.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Captain Happy said:

Well, It finally happened here in our Co-OP park. Two people (unknown) have been diagnosed with Covid-19 in just the last couple of days. So now we are a total face mask wearing park, period.

Which park are you in? We live in a gated senior community. Our home is in a 4-plex community and on our campus are an independent living apartment building, a  memory care facility, an assisted living apartment building, a rehab hospital, and a full care facility. As such the traffic into the community is very restricted as is visiting by family members. Our community activities were all stopped several months ago, but now a few things are starting to ease as the numbers have been improving. Even so, all community activities are all outside, with seating spaced so couples are 10' apart and masks are required for all activities and at any time that people get closer than 10' apart. We feel very safe here and we rarely ever see anyone without a mask. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I do have friends that know better than to bring up their conspiracy theories around me (the earth is flat, Casper is the Lindbergh Baby, FDR invited the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor, there is no Covid, etc).  Not wearing a mask because of a "personal stand" is pretty petty and will not get you on Mt Rushmore....."THAT is your stand?", I ask them. Pretty lame. I do take to task the health agencies that declare that if you are 95 years old and catch the virus, that your death is a covid death. Same for any age group, frankly. That sort of dishonest record keeping is great for enhancing institutional revenues but not so good for accurate quantification of the effects of this virus. 

Also, I have spend almost 50 years creating home like facilities for our senior citizens who need skilled and sub-acute care. Our focus has always been to enhance the last years of someones life, maybe even get to send them home. Keeping families apart during someone last weeks or days or hours is about as cruel an end of life experience as I can imagine. My wife has been unable to visit her father (91) since the pandemic impacted skilled care facilities.  He has not had a family visitor other than his 88 year old wife (who, at that age, still WORKS in the adjoining assisted living facility so she is allowed the privilege of visitation. Very sad for my wife and her siblings, not to mention my FIL. 

We will get thru this, but with attitude of some of my fellow countrymen, it is going to be a long haul. 

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

I no longer work in the Emergency Department or in EMS, but that's where I started my Healthcare Career. I most likely was exposed to most every virus, bacteria and body fluid known to man over the years. Thankfully not many of them ever took over my immune system. If I did come down with something, I stayed home until I no longer had a fever. Thankfully over the years it's been very few times where I actually missed more than a day of work due to an illness. 

I came down with most of the childhood illnesses before the "Vaccines". I did get my Polio shot, but not in the usual place where others in my age group have the scar from it on their arm. My Mother said I was in a study group where they tried a different location. Have no idea where it was and she cannot remember. 

I have avoided the "Flu Shot's" over the years, but do try and keep my Tetanus up to date. Until this year I have required no daily medications. 

I currently work in the Operating Room so I have worn a mask much of the time at work. I would wear it when ever I was within 6 foot of a patient during the "Flu Season", due to my decision to not have the "Flu Shot". Wearing it constantly at work hasn't been a problem for me. I'm not sure it's doing what everyone seems to think it's supposed to, but I will wear one if asked to away from work. 

The biggest problem with the use is the reuse, the misuse and the lack of hand hygiene after touching the mask. If the reason for using is to "Trap" the virus in the mask, then placing your hands on the mask and then touching anything is offering the "Virus" a ride to another location. The infected person is wearing their mask around their neck while outside. Is preparing to enter a location so they pull the mask up and happen to exhale at the same time spreading the virus over their hands. The hands go to the door handle and who knows where else once inside before there is a thought of hand hygiene. Even if there is a thought, it's not well done. I really don't see how the masks will help the majority of the people. The virus will go through it's motions and hopefully our immune systems will develop a resistance. With the talk of it's mutations and multiple forms I have the gut feeling it's similar to the annual Flu Virus and we will never be rid of it despite the multiple attempts at developing a vaccine. 

I don't believe most people are trying to be "Dishonest", it's more of "I didn't think of that." Many of us are very tired of all of it and while it's keeping a lot of the political banter away it's also hurting many of us in several other ways. 

If you are wearing a mask keep it in place until you do not need it any longer. Remove it by the holding devices and refrain from touching the inside or outside of the "breathing" area. Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, stay hydrated and well rested. If you are coming down with a fever stay home and contact your local health professional for advice of what to do, when to do it and what signs you need to be aware of that indicate your immune system may be struggling.  Be smart, be safe and be helpful

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

5 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

I sympathize with you.   I am still in Arizona, good location all things considered... good people... but I am amazed at how many folks of my similar status (Retired) that ignore standard CDC recommendations on dealing with the virus.   When I greet people now, I immediately smile  at them and say, "we are practicing CDC recommendations"... stay at six feet, no handshake, and avoid gathering close.   But seems like I have to take the initiative.   At this pace, I think it's going to be a long pandemic.

We’re also still in Arizona.  They re-opened too fast.  And the number of people who think it is a hoax just astonishes me when so many are dying.   Since Dave had open heart surgery with complications this spring, if he caught it he would likely die.   I just can’t understand why people are ok with our  dying when just doing simple things would help us all.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

15 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

We’re also still in Arizona.  They re-opened too fast.  And the number of people who think it is a hoax just astonishes me when so many are dying.   Since Dave had open heart surgery with complications this spring, if he caught it he would likely die.   I just can’t understand why people are ok with our  dying when just doing simple things would help us all.

Some people will not learn what this virus can do until someone close to them gets it and dies. Only then will the serious of it set in. Sad to say, but some people need to learn the hard way.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

1 hour ago, lappir said:

I'm not sure it's doing what everyone seems to think it's supposed to, but I will wear one if asked to away from work. 

Rod 

You sure have a wealth of experience.   Thanks for sharing.   I would ask:   Seems like on a national scale, when States cycle thru... "Open up"... to 'Lockdown w/mask_distance_etc"... that the Incidence of infections decrease.   Doesn't that kind of support the value of taking CDC measures, like a mask?

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

10 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

I don't believe most are "OK" with "our dying", it is an inescapable event though and my feeling is when it's my time it's my time no matter what I have done or actually did at that particular time. Those who think "Why was he there, why did he do that, what was he thinking?" Were not there at the time thinking what I was thinking, doing what I did or my rationale of doing. I'm not ready for it to happen and when it does I will probably think the same way. It will happen anyway. 

I do not think the Virus is a Hoax. They are real and have been around for a long time. I think the media reaction to this is the real problem and it certainly has not been around all that long. The simple answer is to allow trained professional medical persons to evaluate and treat their patients with no regard to who or what they think they have. To remove the ability of anyone to "PROFIT" from the sickness, illness or injuries of others. In my lifetime it was that way and it no longer is. That is the true HOAX and the Americans have fallen for it Hook, Line and Sinker. It is the simple things that will help us. Being helpful and kind to your neighbors, considering others before you consider yourself. Do what is right no matter the cost and to not choose the lessor of two evils. You will still have what you thought was the less evil but in reality it was only the true evil and you fell for it again. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

11 hours ago, lappir said:

I did get my Polio shot, but not in the usual place where others in my age group have the scar from it on their arm. My Mother said I was in a study group where they tried a different location. Have no idea where it was and she cannot remember. 

The polio shot didn't leave any scars at all. The scar on the arm came from a smallpox vaccination that wasn't a shot but just broke the skin and was usually on the arm but a few people had it on a shoulder-blade or other place that wouldn't show. 

Just what is it that you do in an ER?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The polio shot didn't leave any scars at all. The scar on the arm came from a smallpox vaccination that wasn't a shot but just broke the skin and was usually on the arm but a few people had it on a shoulder-blade or other place that wouldn't show. 

Just what is it that you do in an ER?

I was in EMS as an EMT, Paramedic and finally an RN. You are correct on my error in the vaccination. Thanks for having the correct 50+ year memory. Mom's not so lucky. 

I no longer work in the Emergency Room and have not for many years. I will stay in Surgery. One patient at a time and there is always someone else there too. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I don't believe most are "OK" with "our dying"

Yes, there are a lot of people, including the Lt Governor of Texas, who will tell you that old people should just die so nothing has to be closed up,  These are the idiots who claim children don't become sick from the virus - despite even babies dying from it.  I've survived a brush with death - 26 yr Ovarian Cancer Survivor - and don't expect to live forever, I just don't see any sense in making it possible that others will die when doing very small things can help everyone stay safer.   The life we save may be a child instead of a senior citizen!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

4 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, there are a lot of people, including the Lt Governor of Texas, who will tell you that old people should just die so nothing has to be closed up.

What an interesting take on what I assume is this statement by Dan Patrick:

“No one reached out to me and said, ‘As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’” But if they had? “If that is the exchange, I’m all in,” Patrick said. He continued: “That doesn’t make me noble or brave or anything like that. I just think there are lots of grandparents out there in this country, like me, I have six grandchildren, that what we all care about and what we love more than anything are those children. And I want to live smart and see through this, but I don’t want the whole country to be sacrificed…"

Vanity Fair paraphrased that statement as "Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, who is of the opinion that old people, i.e. those most at risk, should volunteer to die to save the economy."  No hyperbole there, right??

In reality, what was being discussed was the concept of absolute shutdowns (not mask-wearing) vs. the economy, and that is a fair and necessary discussion. Many on this discussion board (ourselves included) have the luxury of sitting in a fixed location, day after day, knowing that our retirement checks, social security checks, investment dividends, etc. are going to keep rolling in. We are totally secure on that basis.  But there are huge numbers of working class folks who have no choice but to continue working and who are terrified regarding their economic future, which is to say, their future.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I am all for tightening up the control on any and all political comments not specifically related to RVs.  There is getting to be too much snipping at each other from both parties.  People have already made up their minds and what ever you say, they will not change.  The extreme right and the extreme left are getting too polarized.

I decided to drop off the Facebook SKP- Escapees because of the off handed political jabs until after the election.  Let's keep it civil here and all get along together.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I have got a flu every year for many, many years as it was a condition of my employment .I never had the flu. The wife has never had the flu shot she never had the flu . What does that prove.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Back my title for this subject.

I just had a service call for rv repair. I explained to him that I am not doing normal rv repair at this time. Only Aquahot systems..

But I would help over the phone. So while we are talking about his situation I ask him if he is at his rv. He said no. So I listened to the background noise. It sure sounded like he was sitting in a restaurant.

He never mentioned about covid19. At all.

Sure makes me not want to visit campgrounds.

I do not know if I should be pissed off about there attitude. Why is it that they do not get this problem. Or the serious situation our country is in.

My niece is a icu nurse in the Tampa Fl area. Working with Covid patients. So I keep up with her life situation through my brother once a week or so.

????    Vern