To go or not to go...that is the question?

ToddF

I do not have to travel. But I plan to leave MN on Sept 10 for the rest of 2020 before returning to MN at the end of Dec in time for tax season.

I will be traveling solo and look forward to visiting familiar places from the NY/NJ/PA tri-state area and working my way down to Florida for Nov/Dec.

I will be almost exclusively in TT parks. I am on an elite contract with the Florida "Max pass"...first time using it. Reservations booked out thru early Dec so far.

I understand about the virus. I will wear gloves when I gas up. I will wear a mask in grocery stores and shop early when stores are not busy and have been cleaned overnight

I am a "home body" and spend a lot of time in my RV alone.

I take daily walks and bike rides.I'll need to use laundromats..the one high touch area I can't avoid. I'llnl only use pools if nearly empty.

Any words of wisdom appreciated especially from anyone who frequents the East coast.

I love to travel and knock 2-3 months off my winter. I have made similar versions of this trip before and am comfortable with where I am traveling.

"MO" at home since the pandemic started has been similar to what I have planned for the trip. Tried eating in a few restaurants and have dropped that component due to risks and reduced enjoyment due to all the precautions.

Although my wife and I are "left coasters",  staying on our lot at Jojoba Hills, here in sunny southern California, we have traditionally travelled 5 to 7 months of the year, visiting our children and grandchildren from Texas to Washington, DC.  During our 12 years of full-timing, we have been blessed to visit 44 of our 50 wonderful States.  My wife and I would encourage you to travel as you wish, using the due diligence you stated as you travel.  We have stayed put this year as a matter of choice. Many of our friends and  neighbors have been traveling where their spirits have led. GO, and enjoy life! As always,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

If i still had my van I would probably go out for a bit. Maybe not far and probably not for long but I sure would like to be out there some. I hope you enjoy your travels this year.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We were in Florida when the pandemic hit. The biggest problem for travelling was the restrictions and quarantines put in place by state and local governments. We had a number of reservations cancelled. Some with as little as two days notice. We stayed at three Thousand Trails/Encore parks in Florida and all were very accommodating. Laundry rooms were kept clean and cleaning supplies were available. There were user limits, but we never encountered anyone else in the laundry room. People seemed to just wait their turn. The shortages at stores made it difficult to get everything in one trip. It often took several stops or days to get every item needed. Purchase limits and lack of storage in the RV seemed to increase the need for shopping trips. Many small businesses and places of interest were closed. We are hoping to be able to spend time in Florida in late winter again this coming year.

Edited by trailertraveler

It’s not just about possible travel restrictions (I’m in New Mexico now and know all about what they require).  There’s also the question of what are you planning on doing and seeing.  I’m going to be heading to Branson for Labor Day and the week after - a reservation from September last year (at the moment the regular shows have re-opened, still not sure I really want to go).  I was thinking of going to Kansas to see some friends about 10 days later, and asked about places to hang out in the time between - I got a long list of interesting sounding museums and places to see.  Are they open?  I haven’t yet checked.  All the museums in New Mexico are closed, they were in Arizona before I left in June.  If the places that sounded interesting are also closed, I probably won’t go that direction.

Do the research to find out what’s open and what’s not.  Since you’ve made the trip before, you’ll have a good idea what you want to see.  Have realistic expectations and take appropriate precautions.

6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Strange, I didn’t see CA, AZ or TX on the list!

I only know for sure about TX as it's were I am, but probably the others are the same. TX asks you to quarantine if you come from another state, but it is an honor system. The state does mandate the wearing of masks anywhere that you can't stay a minimum of 6' from others and any business that does not require all customers and employees to wear masks, can and will be fined. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If TT cancels my reservations, I'll return to MN. Given my lifestyle, I won't be putting anyone at risk beyond that incurred in conducting "essential business".

The virus can hit like a ton of bricks...if I get sick far away from home, I'll have to send for help. (I do have a plan.)

Osterholm (of MN) in New York Times today advocating for another lockdown. CNN also a big story headed in that direction.

In the meantime, 250,000 crowd into Sturgis SD.

One thing I like about my plan is that things aren't as busy after Labor Day. Planning daily walks along the Jersey shore..very few people after Labor Day and the weather is typically gorgeous.

Allow me to throw this into your considerations. Last month  my wife had an appt. at Mayo Clinic, we left Indiana and stopped overnight at an RV park. Next morning MH would not start, I called 3 mobile services, to no avail. On the 3rd day I called Good Sam ERS, they towed my MH to Cummins Great Plains in Rock Island, Ill. That one towing service was the only one who would respond, and Cummins Rock Island was the only such service who would work on MH's since mechanics had to enter the MH.

So, we got back home today with our MH, we left home July 13, and I never did get DW to her appt. at Mayo Clinic.

IMO extended traveling is tenuous this year, especially now that we know this virus is airborne.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Part of the confusion comes from mixed messages. RV sales appear to be soaring during the pandemic. On the other hand, the CDC says "travel increases the risk of catching the virus and spreading the virus". But travel on a subway and airplane compared to an RV are 2 very different scenarios.

A breakdown is difficult under normal circumstances but obviously potentially complicated with the virus. Ray's story taken under advisement. (Sorry you were unable to get to Mayo. It's an amazing place). Currently at Whitewater State Park, less than 30 minutes away from downtown Rochester and Mayo clinic. (It makes a good base when here for medical reasons in addition to be a great place to getaway from the Twin Cities).

I'm going to break my trip into 2 segments...the first is the trip out to the Poconos and Jersey Shore and Penna dutch country. (I'm comfortable going to these areas where I have lived and have family.) At the end of October, I'll have to decide whether or not to head down to Florida or return to Minnesota.

I've made a decision that moving the risk down to zero is not how I am going to deal with pandemic. I have neighbors who haven't left their home (except for medical appointments) since January! I'm not going to do anything foolish though, like head out to Sturgis. That's just plain ridiculous. 

Edited by ToddF

2 hours ago, ToddF said:

A breakdown is difficult under normal circumstances but obviously potentially complicated with the virus.

More than a breakdown which could be more difficult under present circumstances, our biggest concern is that of becoming seriously ill and needing to be hospitalized while in a rural area that has little or poor medical facilities. Since we are both high risk, we medical facility availability is a consideration for us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have been full time for a bit over 7 years now and we went in to pretty much non-travel mode and only going out for groceries and the occasional take out food,  since February.  We have had to travel to near Tulsa for surgery for our Dog and then up to Kansas for some trailer repair and maintenance.  Then we will go back to Livingston and back to Houston for our annual Doctors' visits, provided they are doing them.  My last Doctors visit was a video visit.

We have not seen our daughter and her family since last December.  Our son-in-law is a nurse practitioner in an emergency care clinic and is subject to exposure daily.  We do get to visit with them on video calls.  

We never expected to see anything like this mess in our lifetime and I want that lifetime as long as possible.  We are planning to be reasonably near medical facilities as much as possible but avoid using them.

Our volunteering is on complete hold so that we can social distance.

Y'all stay safe.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

8 hours ago, ToddF said:

Currently at Whitewater State Park

The only place to camp in Minnesota with NO mosquitos! The water moves too fast for them to breed there. We spent lots of weekends in that park before going fulltime.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 8/7/2020 at 9:21 PM, ToddF said:

I will be almost exclusively in TT parks. I am on an elite contract with the Florida "Max pass"...first time using it. Reservations booked out thru early Dec so far....At the end of October, I'll have to decide whether or not to head down to Florida or return to Minnesota.

We were at Peace River, Manatee and Three Flags in Feb. through the end of April. They were very accommodating. No problem social distancing at all. The Walmarts and other stores had procedures in place. Limits on how many people they let in, one way aisles, cleaning supplies for carts, distance markers at checkout, etc.  Many had Senior hours.

We were in Florida from November through July 22. Originally we planned to ride out COVID there.  As the hurricane season ramped together with COVID exploding, we could not find a safe way to deal with hurricanes that did not involve moving several hundred miles every time it looked like one might swing through.  We decided to come back to Maine until the campgrounds close here in mid-October.  After that we hope to be able to travel back to Florida over the course of several weeks.   We drove up here in the last part of July.  We are doing several things to try to stay healthy.  For food we bought an Instacart membership for $99.  In Florida that meant we could shop from Publix and other stores. We could place an order and set a delivery time.  When the shopper started shopping they contacted me by text and we could discuss and approve changes for things that were in short supply.  The shopper then delivered the groceries to our site and we brought them in.  Instacart is here in Maine so we use it here.  For laundries in campgrounds we wait until first thing in the morning, midweek.  That seems to be the lowest time.  Go in and load, then leave.  Return a minute or two before washers are set to stop, load dryers and leave.  Get clothes and fold at the RV.  Fueling is always done when the station is not busy.  Masks are used whenever we are indoors or around others.  Recreation has been golf.  Jinx and I take a cart together.  Otherwise I solo cart or walk.  I am not aware of any cases of transmission traced to golf courses.  If I have to go in the pro shop it is only shops with solid COVID procedures, and then only masked and briefly.  Campground check in involves talking to the CG first about procedures.  If they have shoddy procedures we will stay somewhere else.  In PA they were masked and handed us the paperwork in a baggie at the end of a six foot grab-stick.  In NC check in was outside.  In VA it was by phone.  The biggest problem I see with your plan is visiting places.  Many states have 14-day quarantine rules.  We quarantined on our site in Maine for 14 days on arrival.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

On 8/10/2020 at 8:49 AM, ToddF said:

A breakdown is difficult under normal circumstances but obviously potentially complicated with the virus. Ray's story taken under advisement. (Sorry you were unable to get to Mayo. It's an amazing place). Currently at Whitewater State Park, less than 30 minutes away from downtown Rochester and Mayo clinic. (It makes a good base when here for medical reasons in addition to be a great place to getaway from the Twin Cities)...

... At the end of October, I'll have to decide whether or not to head down to Florida or return to Minnesota.

We lived just down the road from Whitewater in St Charles, MN, very nice state park.  Be sure to check to be sure they or any others will be open after October as most close or at least shut off water by that time for the winter.  We are now in South Carolina and we have been traveling off and on all year without too many issues. Some campgrounds have been closed (mainly state run ones) and we had to camp in Northern Indiana as Michigan's were still closed when we went up that way. Stopping to eat at restaurants is also an issue as you do not know if they are open until you pull in and with a big truck and trailer that can be a waste of time as we don't exactly fit in the drive thru.  We have a trip planned to go to AZ in September for warranty work, so far all of our night stops are open but we did have some state ones in NM close but was able to get a private campground that is operating at 50%. We use gloves when fueling & hand sanitizer frequently after stopping at places. We are self contained and have our own washer & dryer. We can carry about 2-3 weeks of food with us, so we shop only when needed and use masks. The biggest drawback is missing out on many site that are closed due to the virus precautions.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 8/7/2020 at 6:21 PM, ToddF said:

I do not have to travel. 

I will be traveling solo and . . . working my way down to Florida for Nov/Dec.

I understand about the virus.

If you don't have to, don't go.

There's a whole lot of pretending going on about the virus . . . pretending that kids can go back to school, pretending that if we're careful (and many, if not most, aren't), then it'll be ok, pretending if we ignore it, it will go away, and so on.

Don't kid yourself.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

10 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

We were in Florida from November through July 22. Originally we planned to ride out COVID there.  As the hurricane season ramped together with COVID exploding, we could not find a safe way to deal with hurricanes that did not involve moving several hundred miles every time it looked like one might swing through.  We decided to come back to Maine until the campgrounds close here in mid-October.  After that we hope to be able to travel back to Florida over the course of several weeks.   We drove up here in the last part of July.  We are doing several things to try to stay healthy.  For food we bought an Instacart membership for $99.  In Florida that meant we could shop from Publix and other stores. We could place an order and set a delivery time.  When the shopper started shopping they contacted me by text and we could discuss and approve changes for things that were in short supply.  The shopper then delivered the groceries to our site and we brought them in.  Instacart is here in Maine so we use it here.  For laundries in campgrounds we wait until first thing in the morning, midweek.  That seems to be the lowest time.  Go in and load, then leave.  Return a minute or two before washers are set to stop, load dryers and leave.  Get clothes and fold at the RV.  Fueling is always done when the station is not busy.  Masks are used whenever we are indoors or around others.  Recreation has been golf.  Jinx and I take a cart together.  Otherwise I solo cart or walk.  I am not aware of any cases of transmission traced to golf courses.  If I have to go in the pro shop it is only shops with solid COVID procedures, and then only masked and briefly.  Campground check in involves talking to the CG first about procedures.  If they have shoddy procedures we will stay somewhere else.  In PA they were masked and handed us the paperwork in a baggie at the end of a six foot grab-stick.  In NC check in was outside.  In VA it was by phone.  The biggest problem I see with your plan is visiting places.  Many states have 14-day quarantine rules.  We quarantined on our site in Maine for 14 days on arrival.

Didn’t a real person have to put the paperwork into the baggie and seal the baggie?

1 hour ago, kurtsara said:

Didn’t a real person have to put the paperwork into the baggie and seal the baggie?

That's part of Zulu's "pretending".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Of course someone put papers in the baggie.  The real pretending here is believing that we can exist without taking any risks.  If you order groceries someone else shopped for them and packed them.  If you buy them yourself you have to go in the store. If you get mail someone delivered it and sent it.  For most of us we have to eat, use fuel, get medical treatment and the like.  You can't do it without risk.  The hard part is assessing that risk and minimizing it.

Our assessment was that getting papers in a baggie (that I didn't open for two days and I sanitized my hands after handling) and the other aspects of travel were safer than the very likely possibility a few days in a crowded hurricane shelter.  That isn't pretending.  We may be wrong, but we made a decision based on our perception of the best course of action.  Whether we travel straight through to our winter site in FL or take some time will be made in the same way.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I decided to have a Covid 19 test yesterday and got 24 hour turnaround on the results (negative). The easiest way for me to do it was to pay out of pocket at a local clinic that set an appointment at their drive thru site. The test is only a snapshot in time, not a conclusive result. For example, it's possible I had the virus and was non symptomatic and recovered from it. The only thing I can say for sure is that I have been following the protocol I outlined in my OP and have "stayed safe" as far as I know. (It's unlikely I gave the virus to anyone given how I am handling everything). But I have NOT self-quarantined after April (I did mostly self-quarantine from Mar 12-Apr 15).. I plan to have another test right before I leave Minnesota on Sept 10 to confirm that I am still negative. I believe that traveling alone in my RV, staying in RV parks and keeping to myself, walking and riding my bike, and grocery shopping and picking up food at curbside pick up all pose very little risk to others and myself. I'll follow all state mandates and move onto another state if I can't abide by their rules. I'll also have my 2 test results on file to demonstrate that I take the situation seriously. This approach may not work for everyone!

Edited by ToddF