An Introduction

Glenn and Cathy

23 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

a 2x4 anywhere but pavement leads to a lot of digging. 

Depends on where you plan to go.  

We have a 2x4, but we don't travel on roads recommended only for 4x4's and we don't travel in sandy areas (think Tyson Wash in Quartzsite).  However, we DO boondock on BLM land and other places where we do not travel on paved roads and have never gotten stuck.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Sand + heavy vehicles should have on board air compression capability so you can a i r  d o w n  for flotation. (I typed like that so the algorithms of the run my tires a MAX all the time police don't git me).  Air 'em back up before speeding off on the pavement. 

Heavy vehicles should carry a kinetic tow rope for recovery. If you want to see how effective these are go to Matt's Off Road Recovery channel on u tube.  

Winches need a anchor growing or set in the right direction.  A set of Maxxtrax boards can be more useful if you are a solo explorer. 

The other best thing ever for off road driving is practice with an experienced someone who can show where you park and walk and look ahead vs landing yourself in it.  And then learn some driving techniques for the poor tractions besides stand on the gas. 

Oh and I do get annoyed by folks who just have to go somewhere on a rainy day in the desert tearing up the beautiful landscape which does not support weight when it is wet.  It does not take long to firm up again when the sun comes out. Congratulations. Your tracks will be there for 200 years. I don't tow those dumb asses unless it is a legit emergency. 

Whoops OW! fell off my soapbox

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.