Air ride pin VS air ride hitch

Happycampper

I have a BS in Engineering with a major in Electronics.  I'm perfectly capable of copying phoenix2013's design, including his circuit board, with its very heavy copper traces, or design a different approach.  But I chose to purchase a Jackalopee many years ago.  Why?  Because trying to reproduce a successful commercial product for a market size of 1 (me), has always turned out to be more expensive than buying the proven product.

I too, enjoy the potential of saving money by building my own version.  It can be fun, but in my experience, cost savings (including my time) has never turned out to be an advantage. 🙂

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

There is an unquestioned pride in DYI in any venture and lots of firsts including well standardized approaches to semi conversions seen on this forum started as well thought out DYI projects. Every product design even in well established corporate structures is basically an engineering DIY project at the prototype phase, I'm sure Dan Zemke would agree with me. Also as Dan points out there is nothing magical or patentable in a Jackalopee. The relay logic utilized in the product has been around since the first relay was produced.

CA_Tallguy just joined this forum a month ago and is feeling his oats, we shall be patient. He researched the cost of relays, $3.50, congratulations, I buy them in large quantity for $2.20 apiece. The one he found does not have the specially formulated coating on the contacts for high current capability and longevity in use. There is more to engineering than looking up parts.

This forum has been around for almost two decades and questioning the DIY credentials of folks here after being here for a month is a bit premature.

Edited by phoenix2013

I tried running a Tekonsha sumthin sumthin brake controller that was in the little Kenworth when I got it. 

Oh I remember the model was the "Jerk a Matic"... 

It was replaced by a Hayes proportional trailer service brake air activated electric controller because the Tekonsha did not work as a wheel chock for the Kenworth. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

One the significant engineering challenges in electronic brake controllers engineering is what to do when you come to a complete stop. The pendulum retracts and that signal goes away. Do you still need brakes? You can look at the brake light. OK, the brake lights are on so he still has his foot on the brakes, so how much braking current do you need to send to the trailers brakes, minimum, maximum, someplace in between. Maximum would be safe, but if you sit at the red lights for a long period of time you will cook the output transistors in the brake controller. I had that discussion with a brake controller manufacturer recently, Very clever boys, they thought of everything. Who are they, let me put it this way, "you get what you pay for".

5 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

let me put it this way, "you get what you pay for".

The older I get, the more will I become to spend the money for the best.  Well, usually.  I'm building my own bed, cuz I can.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net