Jeep question on tires?

Pete Kildow

We plan on taking our Jeep TJ with us. Now I'm replacing the almost new mud grip tires on it. Want something quite, but able to get around out west. Our plans are using it to get off the beaten track. Visit ghost towns and spots most bypass. So looking for a tire that will take care of dirt and sand. Plus be quite on the pavement. The ones on it now, sound like a screaming fool at 65 on the hwy.

Pete

event.png

Pitting on my flame suit...

We have a set of Toyo G0 2 snow tires on our LJ. They came off my service truck after 1 winter's use, and wouldn't fit on the new truck's 17" rims. Since putting them on, they've had about 10k miles towed, and about 30k driving. They're due for replacement, finally, but the Load Range E rating sure helped them wear. The last 3 years they've seen almost exclusive use in Arizona deserts and backroads.
Best advice I can offer is get the highest Load Rating you can find, in probably an All Terrain tread pattern. I've always felt Bridgestone dirt tires were a little overpriced, Cooper has done me well, in the Discoverer XLT or ST Maxx. Dunlop tires have also done well in a heavy service truck application. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Michelin LTX M/S, are offered in 16 inch sizes and E load rated.

Whisper quiet and last forever on a light Jeep.

They provide a smooth ride on road, and great traction off road.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I live in Vegas and have a Toyota Tundra. I go off road at Lake Meade and off of the beaten path a lot in the desert. BFG KO 2's are great. Two years ago driving across 40 at Christmas I got stuck in an ice storm on the highway in New Mexico. I am happy I had them for that too. I never slipped a tire once on the ice. I have been putting KO's on my trucks since early 2000. I started putting them on the Girl friends Nissan Frontier (now wife) way back then and have loved them ever since.

Plus if you buy them at Discount tire they will rotate them and balance them for a lifetime if you do the 10.00 a tire lifetime service agreement. I like this because before I leave her for vacation I go to discount and get my tires rotated and balanced. When I get to Michigan I get my tires rotated and balanced again for free, then when I get home I get my tires rotated and balance after the trip. Plus I get my air level checked about every 9 weeks all for free. I go in, visit with the people behind the desk, get a free cup of coffee and a bottle of water. Plus they are dog friendly. I take my German Shepherd in and train her while they are servicing my tires. People always ask about my training and why I am speaking German to my dog. I tell them it is for Schutzhund, but that is a whole other topic.

Later,

Cory O

16 hours ago, Jim & Wilma said:

BF Goodrich KO2 All Terrain tires. Not noisy to us and very respectable off road tires. 

This tire is highly and often recommended on the Jeep forum.  We put them on our Rubicon and are happy with them - thou I try to avoid deep sand or mud - they handle dirt, gravel and rock okay.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

BFG KO2 AT is the best tire out there. I had them on my F-350 when I had a 5er. When I got my Jeep Wrangler it came with the BFG Mud Terrain tires. They are better in sand and mud but not so good in snow and ice so if you think you may be in snow and ice stay with the ALL Terrains. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

BF AT KO2 is the go-to; we put 33's under the wrangler that we pulled behind the motorhome and they were less noisy then the soft top :)

We use the same tire on the rigs we drag ice houses around the lake with before we need tracks; we are very happy with their traction and tread life on 1/2 ton trucks and lighter.  On the heavy stuff (3/4 ton plus) the tread life is pretty poor.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

I live in Vegas and have a Toyota Tundra. I go off road at Lake Meade and off of the beaten path a lot in the desert. BFG KO 2's are great. Two years ago driving across 40 at Christmas I got stuck in an ice storm on the highway in New Mexico. I am happy I had them for that too. I never slipped a tire once on the ice. I have been putting KO's on my trucks since early 2000. I started putting them on the Girl friends Nissan Frontier (now wife) way back then and have loved them ever since.

Plus if you buy them at Discount tire they will rotate them and balance them for a lifetime if you do the 10.00 a tire lifetime service agreement. I like this because before I leave her for vacation I go to discount and get my tires rotated and balanced. When I get to Michigan I get my tires rotated and balanced again for free, then when I get home I get my tires rotated and balance after the trip. Plus I get my air level checked about every 9 weeks all for free. I go in, visit with the people behind the desk, get a free cup of coffee and a bottle of water. Plus they are dog friendly. I take my German Shepherd in and train her while they are servicing my tires. People always ask about my training and why I am speaking German to my dog. I tell them it is for Schutzhund, but that is a whole other topic.

Later,

Cory O

Between the water and the coffee Plus the shop labor / Man hours I have made back that $40.00 I spent to get the lifetime service agreement. Shoot I have more than likely drank enough coffee and had $40.00 in bottled water alone.

Thanks for the info. Don't think we will see much mud. Now sand may be found, and lots of rock roads. Snow may be also an issue but sure not going to try and find it. Most will be road miles. Along with off the beaten path service roads and Forest roads.

Wife and I love to find that spot. Most never even hear about. Less people and traffic fits us perfect.

Again thanks for the info.

Pete

event.png