amarie1

Crossing the rockies for the first time, advice?

Yup,my 2014 f450 platinum has it,use it all the time towing or not. Helps slow down using turbo back pressure and shift points so you don't have to use brakes as much 

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I'm confused by I-84.  She's not driving from the north. She's coming across on I-80.  Where is Echo?

Look about 35 miles East of the Wyoming state line on I-80 - there is a large reservoir named 'Echo" on Google Maps... and I-84 splits to the Northwest at that point.

https://goo.gl/maps/nbwhx7GZE8YcVhtD9

5 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Look about 35 miles East of the Wyoming state line on I-80 - there is a large reservoir named 'Echo" on Google Maps... and I-84 splits to the Northwest at that point.

https://goo.gl/maps/nbwhx7GZE8YcVhtD9

Ah... got it & it is good.  I was trying to find a town named 'Echo'.  Thanks!

Use the Tow/Haul. It does nice things for your transmission and speed control.  

Topping the hills to start a descent can be done at 60mph on most grades, or whatever your speed is climbing the hill.  If you have Cruise Control and are On at a comfortable speed, Tow/Haul will kick in and slow you if you exceed your On speed by 5mph.  You want to flow with the traffic, not be an impediment.  Some trucks will be slower than you, so pass them.  A lot of traffic will be faster, let them go.  Serious grades are well marked, lots of signs, and most have a brake test area at the top. It will be almost all trucks, but they are nice folks. Pull over into it, take a break, walk the dogs, and relax.  Now you are stating slow and just follow the trucks.   It is really easy and simple, you just need to let it happen.  You may find you need to feed it a bit of gas on some hills to keep up, others may need a bit of brake.  Just chill, your imagination is running on overdrive.

16 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Tow/haul mode on the "newer vehicles" (since at least 2010 for Ford) is very different than overdrive, and includes the descent speed control feature that I've described above.  Taking it out of tow/haul mode disables that feature and leaves it all up to you.  Also, you have a  6-speed transmission in your 2017 RV.  You will very likely be able to descend grades in 5th, 4th or 3rd gear.  I wouldn't recommend jamming it manually into D2 or D1 as that is completely unnecessary.  Just let the truck do its thing.

My '05 which is a 5 speed also has tow/haul. My shifts are a bit harsher when in tow/haul so on level ground I turn it off. If there are no sharp curves you do not need to slow down. Tow/haul will select the correct gear to maintain the speed limit.

8 hours ago, Tee Jay said:

Just chill, your imagination is running on overdrive.

rofl ... you sound like my daughter. 😉  (the one in California I'm going to see ...)

I think you have been given excellent advice by others and Kirk described the route perfectly.

Having lived 25+ years in Colorado where almost every pass is higher than the one you cross in Wyoming my best advice is stay in the right lane and go slow. Use the transmission to your advantage by downshifting and use the brakes as little as you can as hot brakes are worthless. 

I also agree with Kirk that you feel more like mountain driving when going over Donner pass. While it isn't particularly steep at 3-6% it is long, deceptively long, and (for me at least) there are sections where the GPS says you are descending yet it seems like level ground or even climbing. 

Bottom line. Easy does it, go slow up and down, stay in the right lane, don't let other motorists (car or truck) hurry you out of your comfort zone and most of all, have fun! There is some very impressive scenery along that route.