Engine / Road Noise Reduction

Vegas Teacher

Boom Mat or Fab Mat works well.  Doing the doors, and floor under the factory mat helps.  Re-doing the factory dog house and firewall should help as well.  That's my next step when I have time. Then remove and insulate all the side walls and roof panels on the cab and sleeper.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

My Volvo is quieter on the road than my old gas engine Dodge Ram ever was.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

On 7/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

What you all had luck with using to reduce engine noise and road noise in the cab of your trucks. In the car stereo world we used dynmat. I was wondering about additional products or products used together with dynmat to make my interior quieter.

Later Cory Ossana 

Hi Cory,

You need to ask yourself a question or too. How much work do I want to do and how much money am I willing to send. That way you can get some idea what your cost could be and if I want to do the work. The best way to do the interior in my opinion is to start with removing the seats. Then you can start with the door panels. Looking for more work, remove the panels in the sleeper. And if you want to tackle a big work, remove the headliner. I think you get the idea. The cost of dynamat is expensive. There is other stuff with a lower price and works just as good. Right now I can't remember the name of the stuff what I used on my truck. It will come to me later. Just trying to give you an idea. 

Al

Brain fart is over (it lasted little over an hour). lol. I remember the name of the material I used. It's called Rattletrap. It has 3 X's print on the aluminum surface. You want 80 mil. I bought mind off of Ebay. Good luck with you project. Do a search on the hdt site. I remember some past threads.

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I have not done that in an HDT, but I did on my last dually.  Stripped the entire interior to the sheetmetal and stuck dynamat extreme on every metal surface and body panel I could put it.  Then used another dynamat product that I can't remember the name of that looks like 1/2" thick foam rubber and stuffed that in all the voids in pillars, roof bracing, etc and as far up the firewall as I could get it, and behind interior panels.  That thing was QUIET.  On the interstate the loudest thing was the wind whispering on the glass.   Almost too quiet, I'm a car guy and used to having an ear open for ticks and rattles, and you just could not hear that stuff at all.  That was only a crew cab pickup but it was a good sized job.  But I was very happy with it.  I think I spent about $500 on materials and all the labor cost me was the beer I'd a been sitting around drinking anyway.  There are very good less expensive products on the market very close to the dynamat extreme for a lot less money.  The trick to  the dyna mat is the little rubber roller to work it into the curves and tight spots.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:59 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Cory,

You need to ask yourself a question or too. How much work do I want to do and how much money am I willing to send. That way you can get some idea what your cost could be and if I want to do the work. The best way to do the interior in my opinion is to start with removing the seats. Then you can start with the door panels. Looking for more work, remove the panels in the sleeper. And if you want to tackle a big work, remove the headliner. I think you get the idea. The cost of dynamat is expensive. There is other stuff with a lower price and works just as good. Right now I can't remember the name of the stuff what I used on my truck. It will come to me later. Just trying to give you an idea. 

Al

Brain fart is over (it lasted little over an hour). lol. I remember the name of the material I used. It's called Rattletrap. It has 3 X's print on the aluminum surface. You want 80 mil. I bought mind off of Ebay. Good luck with you project. Do a search on the hdt site. I remember some past threads.

Thanks! I really want to make it quieter. I used dynmat when I was in college doing car stereos. I did not know it was still around over 20 years later. 

10 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

I have not done that in an HDT, but I did on my last dually.  Stripped the entire interior to the sheetmetal and stuck dynamat extreme on every metal surface and body panel I could put it.  Then used another dynamat product that I can't remember the name of that looks like 1/2" thick foam rubber and stuffed that in all the voids in pillars, roof bracing, etc and as far up the firewall as I could get it, and behind interior panels.  That thing was QUIET.  On the interstate the loudest thing was the wind whispering on the glass.   Almost too quiet, I'm a car guy and used to having an ear open for ticks and rattles, and you just could not hear that stuff at all.  That was only a crew cab pickup but it was a good sized job.  But I was very happy with it.  I think I spent about $500 on materials and all the labor cost me was the beer I'd a been sitting around drinking anyway.  There are very good less expensive products on the market very close to the dynamat extreme for a lot less money.  The trick to  the dyna mat is the little rubber roller to work it into the curves and tight spots.

I have to look into the extreme dynmat. As I said in am earlier response I did not know this product was still on the market, plus I had not heard of extreme dynmat. I really appreciate the information. So how much beer does it take to do this project? I am a Michelob Amber Bach or Shiner Bock person, I like a lot of craft beers too. LOL!

Later Cory Ossana 

2 hours ago, dan412 said:

Lizard skin is a spray on coating that is water base that you could try.

I like the lizard skin idea. What I would like to do is completely strip the inside of my cab and spray anything I could to dampen the sound from the metal up. So begin with the metal then put a spray on additive /  paint of some type, next coat the paint with a second coat of paint, then put the dynmat or some kind of sound absorbing material on top of that, fill all voids in the doors and side panels. Next replace all of the door panels with new outer door panel fabric. Lastly on floor, I heard on a truckers website some of those guys who were owner operators used R19 between a layer of dynmat and the rubber insert on the floor. I heard they also stuffted hollow areas with R19 to keep the truck warmer or cooler at night depending on the time of the year. Some stated as far as temperature change went, after turning off the key of the truck, they could simply turn on a fan and just keep air circulating around the cab and it stayed comfortable longer with the added insulation.  

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I am looking into all avenues.

Another question asked of me  on this thread was how much I wanted to spend on this project (noises reduction).........

My thought is if I can get a cab that rides well, heats well, cools well and I can listen to my stereo in nothing it to much. I was in the stereo world in now, what seems to be a different lifetime for me. In college I worked for a car stereo shop back in Pittsburg Kansas. We did Dynmat work ( I can't believe almost 30 years later that stuff is still on the market, so I am going to look into that for sure. I love the idea of the Lizard Skin spray as a preliminary coating.

So cost..... I am willing to spend between $2000.00 & $3000.00 to do this plus beer for my friends and a few choice words along the way LOL! I use the mechanic for all big stuff but this is in my wheel house to be able to do. 

Last but not least this prepares me for a second project I am getting ready to start on. I am going to redo a 1952, 2 door hard top Chevy Style Line, it was my fathers and the car we did things on together. It has a 3 on the tree and a 6 cylinder 216. It is extremely loud inside and I figure If I can get the Volvo quiet I can get the 52 quiet. One of the really neat things about this car is the 3 on the tree, It is not synchronized and you have to down shift in reverse as you slow down. The only other thing I drove more fun that that was my grandpa's 1946 ton and a half dualy that you had  to double clutch......

Well School starts Wednesday for teachers in Las Vegas (CCSD - Clark County) and we have training's to get us ready for the next school year. It should be fun.

Semi only has a few more mechanical issues to address. Then I get to bring it home. I am looking forward to the reunion, plus when I get it back it will be road worthy without to much worry. Believe me I know any time I get behind the wheel of a machine that big anything can happen at any time!

Later,

Cory Ossana - Vegas Teacher.