Sculptor

Choosing Domicile in the next week or 2

Link to my question in the HDT section.  I know many of the details but still am undecided.  The link is about my personal comparison.  If you have anything to add please do.

You need to look closely at legal issues as well as just what it means to create a domicile. If you have not yet done so, read The Issue of Domicile from Escapees publications. Since I have never owned a heavy hauler and do not expect to, I don't read that forum so don't know what you have considered. 

Thanks Kirk, I have seen your links sent to many of us and I have read many escapees documents related to this decision. Thank you for always being there to help.

I am in a comparison mode, but making a decision that will affect us for years has made me overthink, and has resulted in plain old indecision.  I like the health care stories I am hearing about Florida, but I have not much interest in Florida otherwise.  Tennessee has many of the things I like with the exception of horrible sales taxes. We will be traveling so maybe not too much impact.  For other reasons, TX and SD are in between.

It must help me to write it down, this is the first time I realized Tennessee is potentially at the top.  🙂

I went with SD. No income tax, low sales tax and estate tax, register by mail, no inspection, no CDL required. The only negative is health insurance is limited. I now have Medicare so that is not an issue any more for me. 

What state requires a CDL to drive an RV?   Some required enhanced DL, but those are Not CDLs.

Edited by Barbaraok

Connecticut requires commercial truck taxes and licensing for a  HDT (semi) regardless of use.  When I first tried to license my Volvo 770 as a private vehicle, the objection was the commercial hitch.  I had that removed, and reapplied.  I was then told "once a tractor, always a tractor".

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

What state requires a CDL to drive an RV?   Some required enhanced DL, but those are CDLs.

He tows with a semi. 

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

What state requires a CDL to drive an RV?   Some required enhanced DL, but those are CDLs.

DC and HI (> 26K), IN and WI (>45 ft). I've never met any full-timers who domicile in those places, though.

Rob

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

He tows with a semi. 

Which is why lots of full timers ‘move’ to states Where they can license HDT as an RV!