Sculptor, NO I would not buy Dell XPS again.

I said I just did a quick search for a laptop and I agree that is a lot of bang for the buck on paper. Now go play with one in a big box store. I have not used one but I have seen great stuff for better prices than Dell in AIO units like I now use. SO I am not recommending HP, or any manufacturer but just saying to look around. Caveat emptor applies, YMMV! 😉

No the 1GHz is not a typo, they just separated the base frequency from the burst speed. Cache is good too. The best way to compare is to now avoid anything but quad core and up. Eight and six core CPUs are not really ustilized by the software companies so become like installing more than the max ram for a machine. Wasted.

So anytime you ant to know just google the CPU name,  in this case "Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1 Processor." and add specs to the end. I like Ark because I am used to their layout. Now go there with this link and it all becomes clear.

This is a 10th gen CPU and will be faster and run cooler than earlier iterations.

Then look at the Amazon ratings. I always go to all reviews and change the sort from Top REviews to most recent so if they are better than when introdiced we asee thed reviews from the machines being shipped now, Here is that link: https://www.amazon.com/HP-Quad-Core-i5-1035G1-Bluetooth-Accessories/product-reviews/B089GJ18BV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_srt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent&pageNumber=1

Don't buy it on my say so. I never used it!! BUt if you can get one from the store to play with first great. However the reviews make that a terrific "looking" buy. If I used laptops, I'd likely buy it now and sell my current laptop later after everyone isn't a death threat from the COVId pandemic.

I am switching my main system when this XPS 2720 AIO that screams now, but really heats up my little home office. as does the Gen 4 Tower in the other room. My wife will get the new Dell Inspiron AIO 10 th gen.

Here is the page for my new Inspiron I have to get fixed for the audio/HDMI circuits. But everything else is pretty dang fast for 8GB of RAM I bought an add on stick of 16 GB I installed, tested, and removed until I see if it has to shipped to Dell. When it is returned or fixed it will have 24GB of RAM and really scream. It is fast now. So go here to see my specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/195436/intel-core-i5-10210u-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

6 hours ago, RV_ said:

To answer your original question, yes you can build a custom case and some are really stunning:

My wife is a master interior trim carpenter and we have all the tools so I might just make one of the art deco ones with a tablet or the tower system and liquid cool it. THe movers put a dent in it when we moved last year.

Pretty neat huh?

The Art Deco cases ARE very cool.  I guess you would need liquid cooling to compensate for the solid wood case.

I was a wood model maker for 15 years so I can relate to the skills it would take to create a “statement” like you propose.  🙂  I couldn’t fit my band saw or my Kennedy rolling tool box Into the full time style so I had to sell them.

Here's some more: Many can be ordered. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393713192403093147/

It seems you want power and a reduction in size. These NUCs are amazing today.

For custom case builds I would get a NUC (Next Unit of Computing) Here is a 10 Gen Intel i7 since you already have a monitor: https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_3009353822369349.html?wid=2000001#goodsDetail

These can be ordered  from US sources for a bit more and taxes added. They also are very economical with Xeon or Intel 10th gen i7 chipsets, or if you don't need the power i3 or i5 newer processors. I would not buy a power machine with no cooling fan as some NUCs are. It also holds both types of PCI-e SSDs, and also can hold a regular 2.5" SSD.

I am giving an example only. This example uses a silent fan for cooling. I would NOT buy a NUC with an i7 or Xeon chipset with out a cooling fan.

Gearbest is direct from China so takes 20-45 days to arrive. I have never had a problem with computer or tablet buys from them but they are not good for RVrs who travel, as opposed to snowbirds.

I have had two mini PCs which are different than NUCs. No fans on the old one that died after 5 years, and my new one . My first actually was  a Windows 8 that upgraded free to Windows 10. However it was 32 bit for which Microsoft is now dropping support. It had 4GB RAM 64 GB eMMC for 99 bucks and lasted 5 years and was fast enough for fun stuff.

My current mini PC is this one: https://www.gearbest.com/mini-pc/pp_009643703831.html?wid=1433363

Its processor is this: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95596/intel-celeron-processor-n3450-2m-cache-up-to-2-2-ghz.html

not super fast or too slow but good for the living room TV with a Logitech K400 keyboard with built in touch-pad. It does get very warm and the bottom has to be clear for it to stay cool enough to run all day. But I knew it would never be for anything but watching online videos not covered by my Fire TV 4k stick on the back of both TVs.

After the pandemic is done and I can sell all my old systems I'll get one of the i7 systems like above, a NUC with a silent cooling fan and room for both the NVME drives and a regular 2.5" slot for a 1 TB SSD later or ordered installed. All of them can be installed on the VESA wall mounts on the back of TVs and monitors. I have a quad HD glare free Acer 27" monitor https://www.amazon.com/Acer-K272HUL-Widescreen-Backlight-Refurbished/dp/B01N0LBFJ7/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_1/136-0309222-2430645?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N0LBFJ7&pd_rd_r=1d948902-8e4c-4355-9afd-d433ee826f1e&pd_rd_w=eHf6t&pd_rd_wg=S7NB2&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=8NEHZ6PNYHY26WP25N6D&psc=1&refRID=8NEHZ6PNYHY26WP25N6D

that is not being used, but I like as much as my main quad HD XPS 2720 touch screen.

Or use the 4k TV in your rig.

Just showing small new mini NUCs and case options for your old Apple.

There are many more options than some folks may be aware of today.