Cell phone Type and Service

Hello,

My service with Verizon is out of date. I would like to ask the follow questions of everyone.

1. Know what kind of cell phone you use (Android, Apple, Window)?

2. What Provider do you use?

3. How much data do you use?

I am thinking about going to T-Mobile maybe, but am open to other choices.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We have Samsung 7 on ATT and a ZTE on Visible, Verizon. Both are Android.

We have had zero problems with either, plans on both are unlimited everything. We use Cricket on the Samsung as our primary phone and, as mentioned, Visible on the ZTE, also unlimited everything. Both can be used as hot spots.

Our daughter and son-in-law have T-Mobile and it is so-so away from major cities. We were just up in the mountain NE of Phoenix and only Verizon had service, though ATT worked randomly, nothing from T-Mobile. When they would visit us in Williamsburg, VA their T-Mobile never worked.

Agreed that Verizon/AT&T provide widest area of coverage, especially in less populated areas.  I switched from using a Verizon LTE tablet for a hotspot to using a Verizon JetPack with Netgesr MIMO antenna - for $20/month I've found this keeps me connected in all but the most remote places.  I've abandoned Weboost RV booster as MIMO antenna seems to provide better results consistently.  The rapid evolution/improvements in cell (and soon satellite) technology keeps me from piercing the roof and hard wiring anything yet.

Most of my plans are grandfathered and no longer available, but I use a VZ Samsung S9+ phone with and older unlimited plan, 2 ATT mobleys on the old car connect plan, and a Tmobile plan in an older Samsung S7.  We are long term stationary in a volunteer position with a toddler so we have the TV on quite a bit and it  we burn thru almost a TB a month amongst all the devices.  I use a Pepwave router to quickly switch between them.

7 hours ago, dartmouth01 said:

Most of my plans are grandfathered and no longer available, but I use a VZ Samsung S9+ phone with and older unlimited plan, 2 ATT mobleys on the old car connect plan, and a Tmobile plan in an older Samsung S7.  We are long term stationary in a volunteer position with a toddler so we have the TV on quite a bit and it  we burn thru almost a TB a month amongst all the devices.  I use a Pepwave router to quickly switch between them.

That's a lot of data and way too many plans for me to manage. I'm on an unlimited Verizon plan and am happy with it with my single phone. I do wonder about adding a line and just leaving it at home to be used strictly for internet use but really don't have that need just yet. If I decide to get a pet I may want to monitor the home from a distance to ensure there is nothing amiss causing a unhealthy environment. My cell connection has always been much better than any "Park" WiFi signal, even those who say "It's OK to Stream, we have upgraded our system." 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

13 hours ago, THOBIC said:

1. Know what kind of cell phone you use (Android, Apple, Window)?

Pam has an I-phone 11 and I have an early I-phone SE

2. What Provider do you use?

We are with AT&T and have been for 20 years but we are considering a change. We will probably be going to the plan from Visible very soon as they look to be much less expensive.

3. How much data do you use?

We currently have 16Gb, that is shared between two phones. With our AT&T I-phones we each use our own phone's hot-spot for wifi to our computers and most months we run pretty close on data. Our plan does have rollover so when we don't use it all, we get any remainder for the next month. One of the reasons that we are considering a move to Visible is that they are unlimited data for $40/month, per phone. With two phones it would cost us $80/month which is significantly less than we pay now.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

One of the reasons that we are considering a move to Visible is that they are unlimited data for $40/month, per phone. With two phones it would cost us $80/month which is significantly less than we pay now.

It's even less if you join a party:

Visible's Party Plan

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

27 minutes ago, bigjim said:

You forgot to state the plan and phone.

It looks like the Visible (Verizon) plan we have. Unlimited talk, text, and data including hotspot/tethering for $40/mo that drops to $25/mo when you join or create a party with 3 other people that each get their own billing and account. We've hit 200+ gb/mo many times.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I agree with  dixonge, in a busy area Visible and other plans that are subject to network prioritization can slow down to unusable.  We are in the Long Beach WA area and on weekends Verizon makes our prepaid mobile hotspot very slow, but our postpaid Verizon phones still work fine and our AT&T mobile hotspot is also going strong.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

So far, we're only seeing busy time slowdowns with Visible that are very similar to the slowdowns we saw with our former Verizon $65/mo unlimited hotspot plan in the same locations. Our unlimited AT&T hotspot plan also slows down somewhat in those areas where both have good signals. It's rare that the slowdowns cause excessive buffering when we're streaming though.

Dutch

I've mentioned this before, but it is possible to stream all your video while relying ONLY on low-cost MVNO/reseller plans.  We dropped DirecTV 9 months ago and use YouTube TV along with Netflix, Acorn, Prime, HBO, etc.  We're currently using 3 internet connections--Visible, a grandfathered unlimited prepaid Jetpack, and an AT&T hotspot through OTR Mobile,  We use our postpaid Verizon phone hotspots as backups, if necessary.

We accomplish this through what is known as load balancing.  There's a good article about it and connection bonding on the Mobile Internet Resource Center which you can find here:  Load balancing and connection bonding

With our load balanced configuration we rarely get rebuffering delays and when they occur they are only for a couple of seconds.

The cost of having our 3 connections is ~$150/mo but we were already paying for one of them even when we had DirecTV so that we had a source for Netflix and other streaming services. Our current total is a bit less than the total of DirecTV plus one of the connections.

Joel (AKA docj)

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

54 minutes ago, dixonge said:

You mean "only on low-cost **no longer available** MVNO/reseller plans"

To clarify the record, two of the three plans we are using are still publicly available. 

If you choose not to deal with MVNO plans, that is your right.  But I'd rather use hundreds of GB a month compared to the 15-20 GB/mo of data I can get directly from Verizon.  I keep my postpaid Verizon phones as backups to my low-cost data-only plans.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

51 minutes ago, TexasPSDX said:

We have the Verizon 55+ plan for 2 phones.  $90/month unlimited talk, text and data.  Use phones as hot spots when traveling.  Have Motorola Droid G7 phones.

Is that 55+ plan really unlimited? I checked into it one time and it wasn't. I could not stream tv with it.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Is that 55+ plan really unlimited? I checked into it one time and it wasn't. I could not stream tv with it.

i believe that the 55+ plan has a 600kbps hotspot limit which is why you probably couldn't stream with it.  "old people" aren't supposed to understand what streaming is! 😁

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

9 hours ago, dixonge said:

You mean "only on low-cost **no longer available** MVNO/reseller plans" :)

That's been one of our biggest challenges. Every time I read about someone getting all the data they need, they are relying on either a plan that is no longer being offered, or a plan that comes from one of the shaky 3rd party resellers. After reading through *so many* complaint threads online, including the wonderful MIA forums, I decided to skip the headache and stick with direct plans w/ both AT&T and Verizon. At least that way I can avoid most of the throttling...

Did you know the Visible plan that Joel mentioned is a Verizon brand, not a 3rd party MVNO?

Dutch

21 minutes ago, dixonge said:

Yes, and still deprioritized/throttled below straight Verizon plans.

Prioritized, yes, throttled, no. The reality for us has been that we've seen little difference in the occasional slowdowns on congested towers than we saw with a previous Verizon direct account with no prioritizing at all. When a tower is congested, the speeds slow down for everyone as the back haul saturates. Nature of the beast. Maybe the slowdown affects us sooner than the non-prioritized accounts, but I have no way of testing that. In any event, the slowdowns rarely seem to have any significant effect on streaming, our heaviest usage. If I wasn't doing regular speed testing for research, I likely wouldn't notice the difference. Maybe an online gamer would be affected, but that's not me...

Dutch