What kind of batteries? AGM?

My newly-purchased 2017 Freedom Elite is at an RV service center where I'm getting some minor repairs and upgrades. One upgrade the service manager suggested was to get a 2nd house battery, as this only has one, the original. I said okay, then he called a few hours later and said both batteries need to be the same type and age. So I'd have to buy 2. Correct?

Second question: he wants to know if I want to get the same kind of battery, resulting in 220 watt hours (?) total but shorter lifespan, or get 2 AGM batteries, resulting in 145 watt hours total, but longer lifespan The 2 AGM batteries would be about 50% more expensive. I asked him to hold off and let me do some research ... thoughts?

I am a newbie so I'm not exactly sure what kind of batteries to get. But new sounds good, and 2 sounds better than one. I do plan on doing some boondocking on occasion. But in that case I'd be running the generator, right? And that would power up the batteries?

My inclination is to go with the less expensive, higher watt hours one. My guess is that in a couple years I'll want to change batteries to some other type entirely.  

Thanks for any advice....

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

It's amp hours, and if at all possible get the AGM.  That said, that's a bit light on the amp-hours.  If that's the only AGMs he has, shop around (online perhaps) and get bigger ones. You really want to be in the 200+ amp-hr range.

You'll thank yourself later for more up-front cost you don't have to worry about corrosion or watering. If you really have some bucks, Lithium is wonderful.

Edited by hemsteadc

I would  suggest getting a single extra  inexpensive battery for now to get by. That will give you time to plan your best long term setup. You never really have enough capacity, particularly if space is at a premium. The best long term solution for most is likely lithium, but that's a significant upfront investment.  Jay 

I have 2 Optima Blue top batteries that are 150 AH combined they replaced 2 Optima Blue tops 110 AH that were 13.5 years old that I put in the trailer when new. In 17 years I have never had to clean or replace a battery cable or clean anything because of battery acid. Basically I petty much forget they are even there because of the 0 maintenance. We don't do as much dry camping as we did in the past but enough to know that if we are careful we can get by without running the generator all that much. If you put extra AGMs in because they are sealed they don't need a vented battery box just protection for the terminals. The biggest drawback is the price but if they last longer it's a wash in my mind. 

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

amarie, heres the deal

1) If you use two yes they should be identical

2) Reasons for buying two would be: 

A) You bought TWO 6 volt flooded lead acid and you therefore need TWO wired in series to get the needed 12 volts

B) You bought two 12 volt batteries and wanted to double the amp hours of energy storage capacity. Example if you had one 12 volt 100 amp hour battery but added a second identical in parallel you now have 200 amp hours of 12 volt energy storage capacity.

3) You could get by with just one 12 volt battery, while two identical in parallel will double your capacity, but if you use 6 volt batteries you have to have two wired in series  

4) The advantage of AGM is you don't have to mess and worry with checking and adding water like for wet flooded lead acid, but they cost more.

5) The size of your storage space for batteries can affect the decision.

6) If theres room you can buy a single 12 volt AGM rated at 200 Amp Hours but its frame size 4D and weights 130 lbs. They also make smaller 12 volt 100 amp hour AGM closer in size to flooded lead acid IE you would need two to get the 200 Amp Hours.

7) The more a more amp hours  the more energy storage capacity in case you do a lot of dry camping, but you] need a method to recharge them remember

John T   BSEE,JD  Retired Electrical Engineer

Since you have one battery that is nearly new, I would not spend the money to replace it now, unless you expect to be a very serious dry camper where you depend on the batteries a great deal. I would rather buy 1 batter that is as nearly the same as what you now have and use them for 2 or 3 years, until they start to degrade and upgrade to a pair of matching batteries at that time, and with more experience to know what your style of use will justify in terms of cost. You probably have a flooded cell battery now so just get as close as possible, as those are the least expensive. Along the way, spend some time studying to learn about the other choices and what each one costs. Battery technology is changing pretty rapidly now so it could be a very different cost picture in 2 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/21/2020 at 2:45 PM, Jaydrvr said:

I would  suggest getting a single extra  inexpensive battery for now to get by. That will give you time to plan your best long term setup. You never really have enough capacity, particularly if space is at a premium. The best long term solution for most is likely lithium, but that's a significant upfront investment.  Jay 

I second-uh-third that!

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thanks all, yes, I've decided to hold off on this until I've taken at least a couple/three more trips. 

Your advice was so valuable, thank you again!

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

amarie, Thanks for the feedback, other information valuable in making your decision is a simple usually free test of the battery you already have including a Load Test. If its good, then your idea go hold off so you can judge its performance is wise,  but if its not up to par then consider the options myself and others have suggested, especially more Amp Hours (one of such means is using two identical 12 volt in parallel) if you will be doing much boondocking. If you're about always connected to shore power you could get by with only a single battery.

You got this

John T 

Edited by oldjohnt

14 minutes ago, amarie1 said:

Thanks all, yes, I've decided to hold off on this until I've taken at least a couple/three more trips. 

Wise decision. From my experience most batteries if cared for last 5 years.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

When you go to the expense of two new batteries think lithium.  I know expensive however they can handle a full discharge  to zero without damage.  So one battery takes the place of two.  They can be put almost anywhere.  Change over the Li with one and add another as you have the cash. 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

13 hours ago, noteven said:

I like your maps Bill w/bus ...

Another Bill here, but https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/ is the place to make your own.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)