I Am An Air Force Brat

RV_

My dad was Air Police in the early 1950s. We lived in four states before I was five then we went to Bogota Colombia. He only did four years then got out. 

Lynn's brother was born in France. Her dad retired w 20.

We went on to do our own 27 years AF together.

I just saw this today and thought some of my fellow Brats who went on to serve would like it too.

xvtT9Tyl.jpg

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW Doc,

I figured some of our vets who were first Brats like me would like it. It gave me a perspective the folks with roots just don't understand and in some few cases don't like.

But we brought a lot to our communities with multilingual and cultural experiences, and new ways of doing things. Helped in college too. Some folks could not even conceive some of the adventures we had in South America, Europe, Egypt, all over the US and Canada. RVing just came naturally.

If I had it to do all over again I would not change a thing.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Interesting!  My dad was never in as a farmer in WWII he was wanted on the farm and he was a bit old for the draft. He also had 2 kids and I was added just a year in. But my favorite uncle was a career Navy corpsman and he was part of the influence that lead me to the Navy. Two of my 3 sons were born in Navy hospitals and all 3 sons spent time in the Army, 3 years, 5 years, and 24 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Lynn's dad retired in 1968 with 20 years. He was Army and assigned to Gen. Douglas MacArthur's personal honor guard for a year when the Gen. was governor of Japan. Then he switched over to AF after the war. Retired in Bossier City in 1968. During Vietnam he was assigned to Nakhon Phanom Thailand. And assignments in N. Carolina, France, and Eglin AFB Florida.  

My Dad emigrated here from Huddersfield England in 1949 to New York, met and married my mom, joined the USAF as a foreign national then I was born in 1952. We lived at Lowery AFB Denver, Steubenville Ohio, Wheeling West Virginia, then Miami Florida he got out and took us to Colombia where he had a radio DJ job for English speaking tourists and expats. Then they divorced when I was six and I never saw him again. 

I've pics of Lynn's dad's Honor Guard certificate with an original Douglas MacArthur signature in fountain pen. He also passed on a Japanese Officer's sword with the golden pommel.?

j2a0Jusl.jpg

ieGmpGnl.jpg

DbNYdmMl.jpg

8Olx0qel.jpg

We're both proud of him, and my MIL. She hung in there through three wars and separations for a year twice. She passed in 2015. He in 2016.

Neither of my two boys wanted the military for a career. I didn't push it.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998