Want to make a buck?

Kirk W

There is an Escapee who is looking for some help moving his RV on the RV Work forum if you are looking for something to fill your time with things slow due to the shutdown. He has one of our lowest SKP numbers so I thought that I'd try to help him out.   😊

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is illegal to haul for  pay without the proper documentation check it out.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, Bill w/bus said:

Nothing against the law to  be reimbursed for your expenses. As long as there is no charge based on time or miles then you didn't hire on for a job. You are doing a service.

Bill

Do you have a legal source for that statement as it is of interest to us.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

X2. I am not an authority but I have been told that anytime an agreement to pay is made it is commercial.  No matter the amount.  Since RV's can exceed weights requiring special licenses and such that could be a problem?  Our insurance also prohibits anything commercial.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Thank you but I am looking for a legal source.

6 hours ago, richfaa said:

I think that you are creating a problem that isn't there. This is not a case of starting a business, but only of driving someone's class C for them on a gentleman's agreement. You would most likely be driving one that has a valid title and license plate for the owner on a one time trip. You wouldn't be stopping at ports of entry any more than if you were in your own RV. Who would stop you, or even care? If you are interested, why not contact the guy and get any questions answered? 

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I think that you are creating a problem that isn't there. This is not a case of starting a business, but only of driving someone's class C for them on a gentleman's agreement. You would most likely be driving one that has a valid title and license plate for the owner on a one time trip. You wouldn't be stopping at ports of entry any more than if you were in your own RV. Who would stop you, or even care? If you are interested, why not contact the guy and get any questions answered? 

Seems to be a habit of some.
windmills.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You could get stopped at a rest area for a "safety check" they could ask for your drivers license and registration for the truck and RV..If the RV is not yours you may not have the registration . They may ask who does it belong to and you will say  "a friend of mine" It gets worse from there. I did have a CDL so I was good.

Disclaimer: This Rant that will do no good at all, But sometimes you just gotta call a spade a spade.

Okay, so this opportunity to help a fellow RVer isn't for you. Why crap in everyone else's Easter basket? You just need to decide which is more important. Doing something that is right, or arguing what is Legal. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes they aren't.  If you are personally not ok with it. Keep it to yourself.  When you're no longer able to drive maybe you'll need help too.

On 7/20/2020 at 9:43 AM, richfaa said:

It is illegal to haul for  pay without the proper documentation check it out.

Also did you even look at the description before you decided to insert your opinion? It is not illegal to drive someone else's properly registered car or rv. Any thing that is passed between two gentleman as a gratuity is just that. a Gratuity. If the owner wants to thanks you witha few hundred bucks and a plane flight home, why turn him down?

End rant 

Edited by solo318

"You could get stopped at a rest area for a "safety check" they could ask for your drivers license and registration for the truck and RV..If the RV is not yours you may not have the registration . They may ask who does it belong to and you will say  "a friend of mine" It gets worse from there. I did have a CDL so I was good.".... We did not post this on this thread because we had nothing else to do nor make it up.

It did happen to us and I thought it might be on interest to others.

Ok, so it would be a good idea then for anyone doing a favor like this, or even just borrowing someone else's vehicle for whatever reason, to make sure they have the proper documentation with them along with a simple written notice of permission from the owner. It's not difficult...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

"You could get stopped at a rest area for a "safety check" they could ask for your drivers license and registration for the truck and RV..

A  friend of ours used to drive for Cross Country Driver service taking  private cars from one location to the next and I know that he did not have a CDL. They do carry paperwork to document that they are legal but I'm not sure what that involves. I have traveled all around the US for years and have never been in any safety check on the highways. Who does that? 

Oh my goodness! All the negativity! If you all are not interested just walk away! I can not believe all the excuses for not helping someone that people are coming up with. To me this would be no different that driving a friends car to a service shop as a favor. I would jump on the opportunity to help out a fellow RVer if I could but I can't right now. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

A  friend of ours used to drive for Cross Country Driver service taking  private cars from one location to the next and I know that he did not have a CDL. They do carry paperwork to document that they are legal but I'm not sure what that involves. I have traveled all around the US for years and have never been in any safety check on the highways. Who does that? 

In Ohio the State highway patrol on the interstates .

Sorry guys no more what I thought was helpful  post from me .

Kirk -

Maybe you should post (move)  this to the HDT forum.  Some may have seen this, may be not.

At least one (now retired) commercial enforcement officer on that forum - who is very accurate on issues such as the comments you received.  Another LEO there also - but not directly involved in commercial enforcement.

Also at least one active "for hire" commercial driver. 

IMO - the "un-soliticed" opinions / comments may actually do someone just as big a favor as the one requested.

NY State used to run periodic checks for up to date drivers licenses, registration, and safety inspection stickers, although I haven't seen one in some years. They were usually set up on secondary roads where the traffic was fairly light.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

It’s not against the law in most sensible jurisdictions to lend your private vehicle to another private individual. 

If it is a big long trip have the driver carry a letter of permission from the owner.

Confirm your insurance policy allows someone else to drive your vehicle with your permission.

Don’t tell The National Association of Hall Monitors, Tattletales, and Internet Paralegals what you are up to. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

On 7/21/2020 at 8:28 PM, Kirk W said:

I had an uncle who did that for many years, he only had a standard Indiana drivers license. He delivered a new Cadillac from an Indianapolis dealer to Phoenix once that I remember, because he took his DW along and they vacationed in AZ for a month then flew back home.

A cousin drove/delivered cars for the local GM dealer, he(with 5 others) also had a standard drivers license. I think he did that for about 15 years.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

A cousin drove/delivered cars for the local GM dealer, he(with 5 others) also had a standard drivers license. I think he did that for about 15 years.

My dad did that with a group in Illinois; also on a standard license, I think, although he had also driven a taxi when construction was slow years before so maybe he had a commercial license.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 7/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, sandsys said:

My dad did that with a group in Illinois; also on a standard license, I think, although he had also driven a taxi when construction was slow years before so maybe he had a commercial license.

Linda

To drive a taxi in Indiana one only needs a chauffeurs license.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

To drive a taxi in Indiana one only needs a chauffeurs license.

Dad was in Illinois but that does sound vaguely familiar. He died last year so I can no longer ask him. I guess I could ask but I'm not sure I'd want to hear him answer.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van