2 x 30amp male to 50amp dog bone

6 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. Its my opinion after 49 years of RV ing all over the USA "some" (not all) park owners figure they know it all (wired their garage while downing a case of beer and by golly it works so they're experts) and its simple SO THEY OR THEIR HIRED HAND OR BROTHER IN LAW who don't have a clue wire the pedestals themselves which may be why sooooooooooooooo many are unsafe, improper and NOT in accordance with NEC grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I couldn't count how many I have seen that are incorrect especially when it comes to Neutrals and Grounds either not being present or mix and matched or double N/G bonding or no Neutral earth grounding on and on and on, but hey most don't know the difference which is why EMS and Surge Protectors and Testers are a good thing. The other thing is many parks are olddddddddddd and don't have the ampacity for todays energy hogs......

Done ranting lol

John T   

Yep, my apologies, John! I missed when reading that part that you were quoting Sokol...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

51 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yep, my apologies, John! I missed when reading that part that you were quoting Sokol..

No apologies necessary Dutch, hey this is getting so deep its hard to keep up who said what when lol.......... The only thing I can think of is Mike is considering what some out there might try to avoid nuisance GFCI tripping. He's a recognized authority in this area and I know darn well he understands how a GFCI functions....I'm not a fan of GFCI on the 50 amp either (just use it for bath and kitchen and exterior receptacles) but nobody asked me lol... Like Kirk and others, Ive NOT seen it (talking receptacles NOT GFCI breakers) on 30 and 50 amps, although sure on the 15/20.......

Again a pleasure sparky chatting with you, Ive learned a thing or two from your inputs, an old dog can learn a new trick maybe ???  Having worked in this field much of my professional career Im just more aware and observant of this stuff then most, it can be a curse    Best wishes

John T   Stuck at home for a while until I get my daughter hitched in Texas (getting married on our 50th anniversary, cool) then I can get back on the road 

I've installed a few 240 volt 30 to 60 amp GFCI breakers in the past few years for hot tubs per the NEC, but I agree they would be problematic in RV parks. Having your tub unexpectedly cool down due to a tripped breaker is one thing, but shutting down an entire RV is something else altogether...

Congratulations on her upcoming hitching and your upcoming hitching anniversary, John!

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 7/12/2020 at 4:24 PM, rynosback said:

I just ordered a dog bone RV Power Cord Adapter Y Split 2x30 Amp Male to 50 Amp Female Connector. 

I remember looking at those many years ago, but as I recall, they were about $70 and not as well made as the device you pictured.  I just ordered one from amazon for $29.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Epicord-RV-Cord-Adapter-Accessories-Connector/dp/B07RW7PFK1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=50+amp+splitter&qid=1594641711&sr=8-16

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Interesting that the adapter Dan links from Amazon shows 10/3 wires in the two, 30 amp legs and 10/3 plus 8/1 in the joined section. I'm guessing that they increased the gauge of the neutral to handle the potential 60 amps that could come from both 30 amp outlets being on the same hot leg. Good to see that was considered.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

One thing I'm not sure was mentioned, but when I had to use the technique I was using two separate  supply sources. The one on my side pedestal and the supply for my none existent next door neighbor. If you have a neighbor who is using the 30 amp plug, you are out of luck. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

8 minutes ago, lappir said:

If you have a neighbor who is using the 30 amp plug, you are out of luck. 

Rod

Absolutely right. And I could imagine some RV parks might not look fondly on you plugging into an unoccupied site to get "more" electricity.  A little like parking your truck in the next site over. Some parks don't mind, but some mind a lot!!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

10 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Absolutely right. And I could imagine some RV parks might not look fondly on you plugging into an unoccupied site to get "more" electricity.  A little like parking your truck in the next site over. Some parks don't mind, but some mind a lot!!

I would always get permission before spending the money to stay, if they didn't have a 50 amp service for me. The park I used had 30 spots but only allowed 5 units most of the time. It was on it's way out. Too bad because it was a pretty good location for me. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:40 PM, DanZemke said:

I remember looking at those many years ago, but as I recall, they were about $70 and not as well made as the device you pictured.  I just ordered one from amazon for $29.

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/Epicord-RV-Cord-Adapter-Accessories-Connector/dp/B07RW7PFK1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=50+amp+splitter&qid=1594641711&sr=8-16

I got one on ebay for $24 shipped,

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3