Sewer hoses on the ground

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Wow!!

All those replies to a "first (one)  post" - and not even a thank you from the OP !!

Did I miss it?

Or.... maybe she's occupied supporting her sewer hose "above ground" ??

You missed nothing . 
She missed the whole parade , as she hasn't been back since that original post .

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

You missed nothing . 
She missed the whole parade , as she hasn't been back since that original post .

Not accusing anyone of anything but sometimes I wonder if forums (and I am a member of many) have people like "secret shoppers" to make posts just to stir up the s***. 🤣

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Not accusing anyone of anything but sometimes I wonder if forums (and I am a member of many) have people like "secret shoppers" to make posts just to stir up the s***. 🤣

I moderate a couple of different forums and have not heard of secret 'soup' stirrers . ;)

We have enough going on with hackers and the daily tour of spammers .

But , I suppose there might be sites that have such secrets to hopefully increase traffic . 

Goes around , comes around .

12 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I suppose there might be sites that have such secrets to hopefully increase traffic . 

I am sure that Escapees does not do that and doubt it is a common practice. I can tell you that in the RV world, it is very common for someone new to post the exact same thing on each RV forum that they find and then only respond to one or two, if any at all, once they find the information looked for. The more courteous people do return at least once to let folks know that they problem is resolved and to say thank you, but many of them do not. You might be surprised by the number of people who join make 1 or 2 posts and then never return. It is also not uncommon for someone to join, then make no posts at all. Some of those do continue to read the forum without making any posts and some then post something a year or longer after they begin to follow the forums. Since we don't require those joining to post anything, I really have no objection to such actions. Because you do not have to sign into the forums to read them, it is very possible that most of those who post a question and never post a second have actually been reading the responses. We really have no way to know, unless the person signs in. I don't think anyone in admin is concerned about that and I know that it doesn't bother me. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I did a quick search of Forum Members and their post counts.  I recognize that post counts have been reset a couple of times with platform changes, but I found the numbers interesting. This is approximate, but:

There are about 39300 registered forum members

Of those, 31000 +/- don't have a single post (79%)

2760 +/- have one post (7%)

1296 +/- have two posts (3%)

I'll bet this isn't uncommon among internet forums.  Easy to join, but also easy to forget your log-in credentials or just never come back.  And some people have no intention of ever posting, but prefer to read. 

At the other end of the spectrum, there are 61 members (0.15 %) here with over 1000 posts. Also not uncommon on Internet Forums, which are generally the same core group of people talking among themselves...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

45 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I'll bet this isn't uncommon among internet forums.  Easy to join, but also easy to forget your log-in credentials or just never come back.  And some people have no intention of ever posting, but prefer to read. 

And there are also some who forget the credentials so they just create a new set. 

My question is, how much time did you spend counting members?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/20/2020 at 11:18 AM, Pappy Yokum said:

All those replies to a "first (one)  post" - and not even a thank you from the OP !!

I've grown tired of drive-by posters who can't show a bit of courtesy to respond. It's like asking someone a question on the phone, and after being given the answer, you just hang up.

If a question is fairly complicated and will require a lengthy answer, I will first ask  the OP a question to see if he or she is still around.  No answer, no response..  but even that doesn't guarantee a thank- you return.

44 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Curiosity. It must be more easily done than manually?

Simple math.  Twenty-four members to a page (in my browser). A quick search to see where the page count changes from 0 posts to 1 post to 2 posts, etc.  Not exact but very close. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 7 months later...

I always use a sloped off-ground sewer hose support unless just hooking up to dump.  Most plumbing codes require sewer piping to maintain a specific slope.  In general the reason for this is so that the liquid component of sewage does not out run the solid component and allows the liquid to assist flow.  A plumber will tell you there are also rules for the type of fittings used for changes of direction.  A hose is much different than pipe, and can be rinsed after use, but I use these rules anyway.  Most sewer supports maintain a similar slope and I suspect for the same reasons.    Any vent would provide a path to a fly's sewer supermarket so a pee trap would be of little help, and could possibly create flow issues.  More often I see hoses laying flat on the ground requiring they be, milked, for lack of better term, to move their contents out.

2X on the rain gutter which I often use in combo with one of the pull out type supports.  In a 6-inch PVC fence post sleeve, mounted to our rigs frame, I carry an an 8-foot section of rain gutter and our sewer hoses.  White PCV was an eyesore so I painted it flat black.  One of my rigs better improvements.

The first and last time I left our gray tank valves open for an Alaskan summer the valves started leaking.  I have since replaced all three tank dump valves and installed push button actuators.   Now it is easy to open and dump in any sequence called for.

We too moved on from the CAMCO sewer hoses after a squirrel decided to use a brand new one, first use, to add to his path resulting in multi pin hole leaks.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I bought a telescoping sewer hose support tube. It was thinwall plastic, like thinwall plastic green sewer drain pipe at Homer's. After a few weeks it jammed inside and I needed to destroy the inside tube to get it out. The remaining tube fit the sewer hose fine, and the red connectors were snug enough to stay inside until I easily pulled them out to use. It was about 7 feet long and made a perfect ramp down. I would ease a bit forward or back so it reached. It hung on the red end cap and not only suspended the sewer hose but it protected it from sun damage. It fit down one side of my long bed 1 Ton bed and would dry perfectly while moving to the next site we would deploy our hookups.

So it stored the hose whatever length, protected it and sloped it from the valve end to the sewer attachment end.

It was well rinsed by dumping a full gray tank with some dishwashing liquid in it to backflush the black side and rinse the hose.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, lappir said:

I hook up my sewer lines only when I need to empty. They last much longer that way and I have very large tanks so I can go over 2 weeks. Am contemplating an incinerating toilet and will be further able to lengthen the times between dump requirements. My first experience living in an RV in South Florida I had neighbor children who seemed to delight running over the hoses despite my politely informing their parents of the actions. "My kids would never do that. " was the response I got. 

Rod 

Haha. That reminds of one time long ago when a neighbors very active boys ran around with BB guns shooting each other and everything else. They shot out one of our garage windows so I went over to tell the parents. 
They said the exact same thing, “My kids would never do that!” As the boys were holding their BB guns.