Cassette Toilet cleaning..

JanKJ

8 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I would not use fabric softener; it is designed to coat material so I would be concerned about it coating the tank parts making the seals stop working.

Linda Sand

They dont sell any Pink in the Philippines, the Fabric softner was meant to replace this...

But i guess Dishwashing soap could work as well, in the flush tank?  😊

Edited by JanKJ

28 minutes ago, JanKJ said:

They dont sell any Pink in the Philippines, the Fabric softner was meant to replace this...

But i guess Dishwashing soap could work as well, in the flush tank?  😊

Yes dishwashing soap is good. Lots of people use a basin in which to wash dishes then use that water the next time the need to flush the toilet.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, JanKJ said:

I read online that Ridx works after 3-4 hours so it should have some effect, it also got citrus smell....

Seems like a much better choice then using bleach... 😊

Better than bleach, but the septic system Rid-Ex product is not for deodorizing anything and it takes several days to have any effect. I have experience with it both having used it in a home septic system and also in my RV black tank for several years. What it does is to enhance the growth of the normal bacteria which is in all human waste and it is what makes things change to liquid and eventually rot completely away. It is very similar to a composting process but quicker because of the ample supply of water and the fact that it is only asked to liquefy the solids. Based on the information from the product manufacturer, it takes about 48 hours for 1/2 of the solids to be made liquid. It is not a chemical process but an enhancement for the natural one.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Better than bleach, but the septic system Rid-Ex product is not for deodorizing anything and it takes several days to have any effect. I have experience with it both having used it in a home septic system and also in my RV black tank for several years. What it does is to enhance the growth of the normal bacteria which is in all human waste and it is what makes things change to liquid and eventually rot completely away. It is very similar to a composting process but quicker because of the ample supply of water and the fact that it is only asked to liquefy the solids. Based on the information from the product manufacturer, it takes about 48 hours for 1/2 of the solids to be made liquid. It is not a chemical process but an enhancement for the natural one.

Okay...Interesting... 😊

There is not a faster working alternative, one that also hide odor or deodorize? 

What about Bio Pods, maybe in corporation with bleach...

Put Bio Pods in waste tank to hide odor and break down feces, let it soak 5-10 min. In Bleach when cleaning to kill bacteria?

Or maybe Rid-X with a Bio Pod and no bleach?

Edited by JanKJ

11 hours ago, JanKJ said:

Put Bio Pods in waste tank to hide odor and break down feces, let it soak 5-10 min. In Bleach when cleaning to kill bacteria?

Or maybe Rid-X with a Bio Pod and no bleach?

Bleach will kill the natural bacteria that most products work with. Chemicals have an odor and chlorine bleach as well. Most toilet additive products do add a perfume to cover smell, but I know of nothing that will be odorless and especially for a cassette toilet that you must take somewhere to empty. If you are that sensitive to any smells, I think you will regret buying anything with a cassette toilet. There is no magic formula to make what you put into a toilet smell good. But it will be yours, so do anything you want to it and see what happens. 

I have used my cassette toilet a lot, including  2 years when full timing.  I never had much issue with odor in the RV whether I used chemicals or not.  The real issue came when dumping.  If I dumped at an RV dump station, then I rinsed out the tank afterwards , then that helped a lot.  If I had to dump in outhouses or using a flush toilet, then rinsing out the tank afterwards was not possible or not feasible.  The odor would start to build and I would use chemicals.  The old fashioned blue stuff with formaldehyde worked great.  The newer stuff without formaldehyde did not seem to do anything.  Some dump stations post signs asking not to use the formaldehyde chemicals since they impede the bacteria that break down the dump station waste.  That would also apply to outhouses and flush toilets with the waste going into a septic tank.  Maybe I am wrong but I continued anyway with the believe that the small amount of waste and small amount of chemicals would not make much difference in a septic tank that holds thousands of gallons.  In any case I would not use chemicals if I knew in advance I would have access to a dump station.  

Dumping a cassette in a toilet or outhouse should involve some courtesy.  I never dumped in those areas when others were around and when that was all that was available I used chemicals to keep the odor level as low as possible.  Otherwise the odor can linger for quite a while.

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Bleach will kill the natural bacteria that most products work with. Chemicals have an odor and chlorine bleach as well. Most toilet additive products do add a perfume to cover smell, but I know of nothing that will be odorless and especially for a cassette toilet that you must take somewhere to empty. If you are that sensitive to any smells, I think you will regret buying anything with a cassette toilet. There is no magic formula to make what you put into a toilet smell good. But it will be yours, so do anything you want to it and see what happens. 

Okay, yes its the idea bleach will kill bacteria so there is no build up of bacteria, similar to what a tank cleaner does...Seem like using Bio pods there will be build up else, if you dont disinfect..

1 hour ago, JimK said:

I have used my cassette toilet a lot, including  2 years when full timing.  I never had much issue with odor in the RV whether I used chemicals or not.  The real issue came when dumping.  If I dumped at an RV dump station, then I rinsed out the tank afterwards , then that helped a lot.  If I had to dump in outhouses or using a flush toilet, then rinsing out the tank afterwards was not possible or not feasible.  The odor would start to build and I would use chemicals.  The old fashioned blue stuff with formaldehyde worked great.  The newer stuff without formaldehyde did not seem to do anything.  Some dump stations post signs asking not to use the formaldehyde chemicals since they impede the bacteria that break down the dump station waste.  That would also apply to outhouses and flush toilets with the waste going into a septic tank.  Maybe I am wrong but I continued anyway with the believe that the small amount of waste and small amount of chemicals would not make much difference in a septic tank that holds thousands of gallons.  In any case I would not use chemicals if I knew in advance I would have access to a dump station.  

Dumping a cassette in a toilet or outhouse should involve some courtesy.  I never dumped in those areas when others were around and when that was all that was available I used chemicals to keep the odor level as low as possible.  Otherwise the odor can linger for quite a while.

Okay, thats interesting... 😊

We dont have blue, green or pink in the Philippines else i would use it...

We have Ridx for septic tanks, Bio Pods, bleach, dishwashing soap and fabric conditioner similar...

I consider this:

Blue/Green replaced by Bio Pods, they all hide odor and break down feces..But dont kill bacteria...

Pink replaced by Fabric Conditioner, both deliver a nice scent...

Tank Cleaner replaced by Bleach, both seem to kill bacteria which prevent build up of bacteria...

Edited by JanKJ

5 hours ago, JanKJ said:

Okay, yes its the idea bleach will kill bacteria so there is no build up of bacteria, similar to what a tank cleaner does...Seem like using Bio pods there will be build up else, if you dont disinfect..

You do not understand the process. There is aerobic bacteria in you that is then put into the waste and that is what makes what you defecate break down, if you do nothing at all. Most modern RV additives have chemicals to speed that liquefying process and to deodorize things but they do not destroy the bacteria because that is a bad thing to do. It used to be common for RVers to use a chemical that did destroy the bacteria and those chemicals also made septic systems fail because the septic system works from simply giving the natural bacteria the time needed to work. Bacteria is not the same thing as germs and it is vital to the entire operation. Destroy it all and you will rely only on chemicals and probably create serious problems in time. RidEx does not harm bacteria but rather it enhances the growth of it and speeds its work. It would never be allowed in a septic system if it destroyed bacteria. 

There are two types of bacteria found in waste systems, aerobic and anaerobic. The aerobic is what makes the septic system work and does not create odors. Anaerobic bacteria is what makes the odor causing gases, mostly hydrogen sulfide. RV tank additives encourage aerobic bacteria and minimize the anaerobic. Bleach will just kill everything. 

We lived all of out time in a motorhome for 12 years and for the first 3 years I did add RidEx to the waste tank and then for the last 9 years I used nothing at all except generous amounts of flush water. In that time I never had a significant odor problem and may tanks worked well and did the job with no additives. 

It is not bacteria that causes health problems, it is germs.

Edited by Kirk W

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You do not understand the process. There is aerobic bacteria in you that is then put into the waste and that is what makes what you defecate break down, if you do nothing at all. Most modern RV additives have chemicals to speed that liquefying process and to deodorize things but they do not destroy the bacteria because that is a bad thing to do. It used to be common for RVers to use a chemical that did destroy the bacteria and those chemicals also made septic systems fail because the septic system works from simply giving the natural bacteria the time needed to work. Bacteria is not the same thing as germs and it is vital to the entire operation. Destroy it all and you will rely only on chemicals and probably create serious problems in time. RidEx does not harm bacteria but rather it enhances the growth of it and speeds its work. It would never be allowed in a septic system if it destroyed bacteria. 

There are two types of bacteria found in waste systems, aerobic and anaerobic. The aerobic is what makes the septic system work and does not create odors. Anaerobic bacteria is what makes the odor causing gases, mostly hydrogen sulfide. RV tank additives encourage aerobic bacteria and minimize the anaerobic. Bleach will just kill everything. 

We lived all of out time in a motorhome for 12 years and for the first 3 years I did add RidEx to the waste tank and then for the last 9 years I used nothing at all except generous amounts of flush water. In that time I never had a significant odor problem and may tanks worked well and did the job with no additives. 

Okay, in the setup i have we wont use the toilet regular, we might be able to go 10 days or more before we need to empty the waste tank...

I guess thats plenty of time for Rid-X to start working (even if we use the one for septic tank), we just need to deodorize it? 😊

Maybe Dish Soap in the flush tank?

Edited by JanKJ

If worried about odor I would simply put a room deodorizer in the bathroom itself. There is no way to dump any system without releasing some odor so I wouldn't bother trying to do that.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

51 minutes ago, sandsys said:

If worried about odor I would simply put a room deodorizer in the bathroom itself. There is no way to dump any system without releasing some odor so I wouldn't bother trying to do that.

Linda

Okay...Yes sounds like a smart  idea... 😊

Another perspective. Here in Australia cassette units are very common. In fact holding tanks are only on the largest RVs.

So what to do? Napisan is the most popular product to make your #$@& smell pretty and keep everything clean. There are alternatives. https://www.vanishstains.com.au/products/powders/vanish-napisan-oxi-action-powder/

As for ventilation see this link. https://www.aussietraveller.com.au/sog-toilet-ventilation-system

SOG's are available from various manufacturers.

Empty cassettes down dump points NOT common toilets. The volume may come back to greet you!!

4 hours ago, bruce t said:

Another perspective. Here in Australia cassette units are very common. In fact holding tanks are only on the largest RVs.

So what to do? Napisan is the most popular product to make your #$@& smell pretty and keep everything clean. There are alternatives. https://www.vanishstains.com.au/products/powders/vanish-napisan-oxi-action-powder/

As for ventilation see this link. https://www.aussietraveller.com.au/sog-toilet-ventilation-system

Empty cassettes down dump points NOT common toilets. The volume may come back to greet you!!

Napisan is a detergent, it wont kill the bacteria. But works similar to Bio Pods it dissolve the feces, but bacteria will build up and cause odor with time....Then you will need a stronger chemical to kill the bacteria, like bleach or tank cleaner..

RidX on the other will use good bacteria to kill the bad bacteria, so there is no build up at all... 😊

I doubt my Filippino manufactor have SOG, but will ask...

Edited by JanKJ

Keep in mind that cassettes will require emptying every 3-4 days. So breakdown shouldn't be an issue. SOGs come on as soon as you flush and stop as soon as you stop flushing. So smells should go out via the SOG. 

I'm not aware of what Napisan is. All I know is that tens of thousands of Australians swear by it. 

16 minutes ago, bruce t said:

Keep in mind that cassettes will require emptying every 3-4 days. So breakdown shouldn't be an issue. SOGs come on as soon as you flush and stop as soon as you stop flushing. So smells should go out via the SOG. 

I'm not aware of what Napisan is. All I know is that tens of thousands of Australians swear by it. 

Yes 3-4 days if two people use it constantly, but depends on how much its being used..

I am sure in the setup i have it wont see much action at all, we can most likely go 10 days or more before it needs to be emptyed...Meaning RidX should have plenty of time to start working... 😊

• 5 months later...
On 12/16/2020 at 2:49 AM, Rasone said:

.......... so you'll certainly find something to your taste.

This thread received numerous replies during it's "run" in.... JULY.

Likely correct! -

By now, the OP has probably found something that tastes good !!

😁...😁

Edited by Pappy Yokum

• 3 months later...
On 7/11/2020 at 10:25 AM, bruce t said:

I always use Napisan while traveling. I feel it as the best option in balance with price and usage comfort. 

Edited by stillc