A/C upgrade

Folks, the A/C has always operated as advertised.  I'm not interested in staying in an RV that has interior temps in the 78-80 degree range.  I guess I'm spoiled, but I like my A/C.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

I'm not interested in staying in an RV that has interior temps in the 78-80 degree range.

The best answer then is to move the RV to at least get some shade from the desert sun and better yet, go where the temperatures are lower. I wish that I had a better answer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just an observation, but it seems that many of the larger RVs now are coming with 3 A/C  units so they can keep cool in warmer weather.  This is one solution, but as a retired refrigeration engineer, it makes me wonder about the thought process of the manufacturers.  Why don't they upgrade the insulation in the units and help conserve some energy.

We have a 40ft HitchHiker Champagne with two 15 KBTUH units and we can maintain 77 degF in 109 degF temps in direct sun.  It has a higher R value insulation and radiant heat barrier than the typical RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

We very much enjoy our Arctic Fox; it's our second one.  With that said, our good friends in the Northwest dropped the ball on this one.  There's an imbalance in the system where the cool air from the more than adequate 13.5K unit in the bedroom area doesn't mix too well with the other, larger living area.  The 13.5K unit is stand alone, not ducted, so you're relying entirely on thermodynamics to move air.  I suppose I could place a larger fan on the floor of the bedroom area and push cool air to the rear but that's not a "clean" solution. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

We have an upright Dyson fan at top of our steps. It really isn't needed but DW likes a lot if air moving so we using it. They are slim and bladeless. Might help in your sisuation.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Just an observation, but it seems that many of the larger RVs now are coming with 3 A/C  units so they can keep cool in warmer weather.  This is one solution, but as a retired refrigeration engineer, it makes me wonder about the thought process of the manufacturers.  Why don't they upgrade the insulation in the units and help conserve some energy.

Probably faster and cheaper to add the 3rd A/C than redesign rigs and train new building techniques using better insulation.

I would appreciate more insulation though.

22 hours ago, TXiceman said:

We have a 40ft HitchHiker Champagne with two 15 KBTUH units and we can maintain 77 degF in 109 degF temps in direct sun.  It has a higher R value insulation and radiant heat barrier than the typical RV.

Ken

The customer can see the 3 air conditioners, while they can't see the better insulation.  Since many buy with their eyes, this makes sense. for the manufacturer.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Back when I was going to get mad and build my own home on wheels I reasoned that since people don’t freeze or roast in the International Space Station it must have high performance insulation / shielding. 
I researched. I don’t remember who makes it but it was more than 50 cents a square foot 😳...

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 5 weeks later...

Try buying some insulated thermal curtain panels.  They look like regular curtains, just a finer mesh that resist heat transfer across them.   You can find them in places like BB&B.  I put these over my larger windows and hold them tightly in place against the window frame with small but strong magnets at the window frame screws.  This traps in the heat that comes through the windows and the aluminum window frames, and significantly reduces the amount of heat flowing into my RV from sunlight.  I bought the sheer white curtains to keep my RV from becoming a cave.  It has worked well for me even on days that are over 100F.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/smart-sheer-trade-insulated-crushed-voile-sheer-window-curtain-panel-and-valance/222114?keyword=insulated-curtain-panel-sheer

Edited by Alan
missed a word