Newbie needs help planning first x-country trip solo

amarie1

I have made numerous trips across country and have a few comments that might help.

First I am not a morning person so I like to take my time in the morning and typically get a late start.  I am lucky to be on the road by 9am.  Even then I usually plan for a quick fuel/pit stop in an hour or so.  Afterwards I drive until noon or so, maybe 4 hours total.  I stop for lunch and a 20 minute nap.  I find a short nap does absolute wonders.  After lunch and a nap, I typically drive another 3-4 hours tops.  Then I stop again for another snack and short nap or end my day at that point.  In the winter months with short days, I stop late afternoon well before dark.  If I am lucky and drove on the open road, I might have made it about 350 miles.  In the summer months I take my 4 pm nap and hit the road again often for another 4 hour session again stopping before dark.  There are plenty of times I have driven 600 or so miles with some serious snoozes and without becoming stressed or worn out.

The distance depends on the driving conditions.  Good conditions on a Interstate can mean lots of stress free miles in a single day.  Because I never know exactly what to expect, I never plan and force myself into a schedule.  Instead I start looking for overnight spots and alternatives a couple of hours before I need to stop for the day.  Where I look also depends on the part of the country.  Many States have absolutely outstanding rest stops; others not so much.  Walmart Supercenters outside of urban areas are almost always a good choice.  Truck stops can be good or horrible.  In some areas the best choices might be local, BLM or forest service campgrounds.  Again, it is best to have several possibilities in mind.  Worst case I end up driving an hour or two after sunset.  That is typically more exhausting than the hours spent driving in daylight.  After a little experience on the road you can get really good at picking spots with nothing more than Google Maps as a guide. 

As you can see, everyone has developed their on routine for travel and has their own favorite method for finding overnight stops. In my experience, no one source includes every campground/RV Park so check them all out and find which ones work best for you.

Our dogs (we've had 4 that RVed and as many as 3 at one time) can usually last longer than we can before needing to take a break. They all really enjoyed sitting out with us in the evening so we have found Walmart, truck stops and other blacktop boondocking sites less than ideal. One notable exception is some NM rest areas which have separated parking spots with picnic table and BBQ grill and a 12-24 hour stay limit. On the US and state highways, rest areas are often few and far between; but we have found some good ones and they are rarely crowded.

In campgrounds and even in the boondocks, keep a close eye on the dogs as there may be dogs running loose or critters that can cause harm. Take your dogs' medical records and vaccination certificates with you. Some campgrounds may actually ask to see them. Should you need to find a vet while travelling, there is a chain co-located with some Petsmart stores. We have had good luck with vets recommended by the campground owner or staff.  One last thing that we found about travelling with dogs, changes in the water such as the amount of chlorine can give them gastric problems. We have a charcoal filter in the fresh water line and than use a Brita pitcher for their drinking water. We still have a problem occasionally and keep Pepto tablets and a pet formula of Kaopectate on hand, both of which work well.  

Edited by trailertraveler

• 1 month later...

Hey guys here's an update, I'm halfway there! I decided to just take 80 all the way. Boring but direct.

I'm writing this from an RV park in western Wyoming. I left Chicago last Wednesday August 12, later in the day than I wanted (all that last minute packing), so stayed the first night in a little place in Davenport IA on the Ill/Iowa border. Thursday I stayed in Ashland, Nebraska (east Nebraska), Friday and Saturday I stayed in Holiday Park in North Platte, Nebraska ... wasn't feeling well, and needed a day to organize my stuff. 😉 I haven't done any sightseeing, really. 

Sunday (last night) I was in the KOA in Cheyenne Wyoming, my first KOA "experience." The lots were just on gravel with picnic tables, but by the entrance they had a small enclosed dog park, a free miniature golf course with a western theme, horse shoes, and a pool that was open ... looked inviting. And they also had a small coin laundromat open 24 hrs, so I took advantage of that.

Hoping it will be just 3 or 4 more nights till I get to Oakland. I'm using RV Trip Wizard (thanks for the recommendation!) and Campendium, mostly, to find places to stay, looking in the morning before I leave, usually.

It is exhausting traveling this way, every day having to set up and tear down, but I've got my eye on the prize 😉 seeing my daughter, my SIL, and grandson ... they're very excited and following my journey with some GPS thing. And I'm becoming an old hand at hooking up electric and city water, and dumping every few days. 

Oh and today while at a truck stop for gas, I weighed Bessie (my rig) on the scales, and was happy to see I am about 1000 pounds under the limit.

AM

Edited by amarie1

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

39 minutes ago, amarie1 said:

Oh and today while at a truck stop for gas, I weighed Bessie (my rig) on the scales, and was happy to see I am about 1000 pounds under the limit.

Yay!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

9 hours ago, amarie1 said:

Hey guys here's an update, I'm halfway there! I decided to just take 80 all the way. Boring but direct.

That was a good decision for you with no previous RV travel experience. I'll guess that you must have stopped around Evanston, WY? That would make it about 350 miles for the day, not a bad choice. Keep us posted as you go west and have a great adventure!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, amarie1 said:

I'm at a campground at the Sweetwater Events Complex in Rock Springs, Wyoming. I

OK. You stopped a bit earlier than I guessed. That center is the place that Escapade was to take place, had covid not forced it to be canceled. 

Consider filling up your fresh water tank and using that instead of hooking & unhooking from city water.  Saves an extra step each afternoon and morning.  

It also means you don't have to be concerned about too high of water pressure from the campground water spigot.   The fresh water plumbing in your RV is designed for 40-60 PSI.   Sometimes you will find the city water is 80-100PSI and could cause leaks in your plumbing.   

Some people carry a water pressure regulator like these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+water+pressure+regulator&crid=29HFAK53B519P&sprefix=rv+water+press%2Caps%2C315&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Hmm that's a good idea, Al. I do have a water pressure regulator. But what I've found is that in these hot temps in the west, the fresh water tank's water is hot! I can't get cold water out of the tap. I have to add ice (assuming I have ice).

AM

All done! I'm in Oakland, RV parked in front, later to be moved to a storage lot while I'm here.

All together it was a 9-day trip, including two rest days in a couple RV parks. I drove an average of 4.5 hrs a day, mostly set cruise control at 65 mph. It was exhausting but a "throw her in the deep end" kind of schooling for hooking up/unhooking up. 😉  Still a lot to learn, though. 

Thank you all so much! I'm sure I'll be posting more questions for my return trip home 🙂

AM

Edited by amarie1

21 hours ago, amarie1 said:

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions for my return trip home

By all means that is good to hear and we will look forward to any questions that you may have. I will make one prediction. I'd be willing to bet that you will be surprised by how much less stressful your return trip will be as compared to the one out west. That is based on my experience with driving in some situations that were completely new to me. While mountains were a bit of a test when driving our class A with a CR-V behind at first, the most difficult first trip for me was when I drove our first class A over the road that used to cross Hoover Dam. The approach from the east was steep and crooked and then went to the very narrow and busy road over the top of the dam structure. I think that there are still marks on the steering wheel of that 87 Allegro from my fingers, if it has not been scrapped. A week or two later I drove back across, expecting the same nerve wracking experience and was almost disappointed by how easy it seemed 

As you travel back home, plan to enjoy the scenery crossing Tahoe Pass where you were nervous as you went west.   😊