Do I need invert'er plugged in during shore power ?

You really shouldn't need to and probably should not, if it is connected as most I am familiar with. In those I have worked with the device is an inverter/charger and when shore power is connected it then supplies 12V for the lights and RV appliances and to recharge the battery. In such case, disconnecting it from the system would cause you to operate the 12V lights and appliances from your battery. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, rving mr said:

I was wondering if it only charges batterys during shore line power.

That would be when the batteries get charged. When it is operating as an inverter and you have no shore power the inverter gets power from the batteries and makes 120V for whatever it supplies. 

Make sure you keep the terminology straight.  

It is a CONVERTER that takes 120v AC and changes it into 12v DC to charge the batteries and operate the 12v systems.

An INVERTER takes the 12v DC power and changes it into 120v AC.

AFAIK, every RV with a 12v system has a converter.  Not every RV has an inverter.

2 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

AFAIK, every RV with a 12v system has a converter.  Not every RV has an inverter.

But frequently there is one device which does both functions from a single box. It is called and inverter/charger.

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

But frequently there is one device which does both functions from a single box. It is called and inverter/charger.

Thanks for the info.  I have not had one of those in any of my three 5ers.  They've had converters and this one with a residential fridge has a separate inverter.

Edited by remoandiris

48 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

this one with a residential fridge has a separate inverter.

That may be the new standard. I don't believe that I have ever done any work on one of the newer RVs that came with the home type of refrigerator. I consider the improvements in technology that have lead to the frequency of using a house type refrigerator to be one of the most significant changes in the RV world since I have been a part of it. Between the improvement in batteries and in refrigerator efficiency, I really wonder why we are still not seeing them in the smaller travel trailers yet. Lithium batteries and solar are another area that is bringing about major changes of RV design. 

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Between the improvement in batteries and in refrigerator efficiency, I really wonder why we are still not seeing them in the smaller travel trailers yet.

Probably due to the size and consumer wants.  While a small residential fridge can fit into a conventional RV fridge space, I wonder if wives would want a smaller residential fridge.  Or, do they want their french door, freezer on the bottom, water and ice in the door, 22 cu ft monster like they have at home.  If the latter, that takes a whole lot of space a small travel trailer kitchen can ill afford to lose. 

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

If the latter, that takes a whole lot of space a small travel trailer kitchen can ill afford to lose. 

But there are plenty of small 120V, apartment style refrigerators that would fit well and cost less. The lower price would probably pay for a second battery and a small inverter/charge to replace the existing converters.

Lots of ways to go, Have a small class c that has a converter and a simple inverter to run a 5 cf absorption fridge. Can run the electric heating elements  on the fridge via inverter with alternator charging batteries, off batteries alone for short periods, and of course on propane. On shore power, inverter is bypassed and ac runs fridge heating elements.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

But there are plenty of small 120V, apartment style refrigerators that would fit well and cost less. The lower price would probably pay for a second battery and a small inverter/charge to replace the existing converters.

Like I pondered above, would wives WANT a smaller fridge than they have at home?

11 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Like I pondered above, would wives WANT a smaller fridge than they have at home?

If it has the same physical size as the existing RV refrigerator, it would hold significantly more than the present refrigerator. How does she get by with the RV refrigerator now?

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

How does she get by with the RV refrigerator now?

She's forced to.  That doesn't mean she supports buying a new RV just for a residential fridge.

If consumer demand is there, you'd think RV manufacturers would install small residential fridges in small RVs.  

3 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

If consumer demand is there, you'd think RV manufacturers would install small residential fridges in small RVs.  

Which is exactly the comment that I made when you first responded to me. The 120V refrigerators have a much larger capacity for the same physical size because the compressor is smaller than the absorption cooling units. 

On 7/6/2020 at 11:02 AM, Kirk W said:

Which is exactly the comment that I made when you first responded to me. The 120V refrigerators have a much larger capacity for the same physical size because the compressor is smaller than the absorption cooling units. 

So I guess the answer to your question as to why residential fridges are not in smaller travel trailers is that the consumer demand is not there.

4 hours ago, remoandiris said:

So I guess the answer to your question as to why residential fridges are not in smaller travel trailers is that the consumer demand is not there.

It is getting there though. I suspect it is the boating crowd that started the movement that direction. In my last van I had a Dometic fridge with a compressor that was electric only.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van