Conaked RVers near Glacier NP

Wrknrvr

16 hours ago, RV_ said:

If counties can't make their own laws then why are their so many counties in TExas that are still dry, yet the state is wet?

Source: https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/local_option_elections/wet_and_dry_counties.asp

The entire county holds an election to determine wet/dry. The local government does not decide on its own.

18 hours ago, Big Rick said:

In Texas, counties make not make ordinances. They can only follow State law, says a guy formerly in law enforcement.

Cities can enact ordinances via their city council, mayors, county judges, etc cannot do it on their own. Unfortunately that is the case in many locations, I.e. Harris County

Boy did you blow that one!   I lived for 5 yrs in Smith County, easy to spot county lines, because that is where all the liquor stores were located.   At every election there was an initiative to allow open liquor sales in the county.  Baptist ministers and LIQUOR STORE OWNERS IN THE BORDERING COUNTIES were the driving force AGAINST it!   

And to go further, it is possible to have wet cities and dry cities in the same county.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

The entire county holds an election to determine wet/dry. The local government does not decide on its own.

But you said they couldn't do that.   And some counties do have mixtures of dry and wet cities in them.   How long have you lived in Texas?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I lived in Texas on military assignments 1971,1975-1978, and was there when I retired and was relieved of duty a few months early in 1997 when we bought the rig and took off from Lackland AFB Texas in our HitchHiker and 1 ton Ram Cummins Dually. We were Texas residents when we bought and licensed the fiver and already had the truck in Texas as my daily driver. We just had to sell the VW Eurovan, a cheap backup car, and  my one year old 1996 Harley Electra Glide Classic I bought in Germany and had there then  shipped it back to my final retirement assignment Lackland AFB San Antonio TX. I also had training twice at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls TX for six months each time. It was stupidly dry. The baptists were happy it was dry, but they allowed private clubs to serve alcohol?? So every Olive Garden and Steak house became private clubs and charged $5 membership?? What a rip off! And in 1971 the beer was 3.2!

Is Wichita Falls still pulling that dry county, except for private clubs which every restaurant became, scam?

In Princeton LA where we were last, they had liquor at bars and restaurants but no sales in liquor stores or grocery stores. We had just voted out the last of the blue laws the last year we were there.

As RVrs returning to Livingdton Texas I remember that crazy drive to Onalaska to buy beer when we stayed at Rainbow's End SKP HQ back in 1998. Is Polk County still doing that silly stuff too?

Snake_fail.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

How long have you lived in Texas?

We have only lived in TX 11 years before we went on the road and another 8 since returning to part-time. And someone needs to come talk to the Dallas Co. Commissioners to tell them that they can't pass a mask mandate! Most of us here like it since the result has been the positive number of covid tests dropping from a high of 1000+ per day to under 200 per day. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Actually we have asshats here too. I had a first for me, walking out of Lowe's a few days ago, masked and with my polarized aviator sunglasses I wear into stores because they are bifocal no one can see where I am looking. I turned and stared at a couple coming out of the store without masks! They were about my age late 60s. They guy aggressively called out (we were about 25 feet apart) "What are YOU looking at?" Knowing the freedom claim of anti maskers I said it's a free country and I can look anywhere I want. But tell me, are you insecure about your appearance? I still have my military firing line command voice. I said "I just know we have a mask requirement here by law." He told me, loudly, to go f myself and yada yada all epithets in front of his wife and in public? I stopped across the lane from him squared off and told him "if you want some of this, bring it asshat. He shut up and walked away. He was bigger than me but as with all bullies not much when called. So I got in my new car and drove right past them in their nice shiny pickup because I believe living well is the best revenge. Guess with the aggressive nutjobs being so weird these days I will need to get my CCW here. i5rybWEl.jpg

;)

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

I stopped across the lane from him squared off and told him "if you want some of this, bring it asshat. 

Guess with the aggressive nutjobs being so weird these days I will need to get my CCW here. ;)

Which aggressive nutjob were you referring to??  The behavior that you describe coupled with a CCW is going to end up with someone in big trouble. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I don't know about now but I grew up mostly in Dallas city limits and for many years there were different areas within the city limits that were wet and others dry.  Garland Rd at White Rock Creek was the demaracation line there. On NW hwy the creek at the north end of White Rock lake was the demarcation.  And a lot of other place. Garland was dry,  Mesquite was dry and more.

Last I heard a county government was a government.  As has been said a lot of this was related to the power ofchurches.  I remember when we had "Blue laws"  that limited what you could buy on Sunday.  Town East Ford a major dealer would be closed on a SAT. so they could be open on Sunday based on how the law was worded.  If I recall you could buy milk for your baby but could not buy a bottle to put it in.

Edited by bigjim

7 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

But you said they couldn't do that.   And some counties do have mixtures of dry and wet cities in them.   How long have you lived in Texas?

All my life! 69 years.

i said the commissioners court Or county judge could not decide on their own to have a law. A vote of the people is completely different. How long have YOU lived in Texas?

Have you studied the State Constitution?. I have and know that a county can not enact an ordinance 

The citizens of a county can vote on some items to enact such as the wet dry issue. In fact many counties are wet but the individual cities in them can be dry. Cities can pass ordinances via their city council but mayors cannot declare something to be a law!

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Boy did you blow that one!   I lived for 5 yrs in Smith County, easy to spot county lines, because that is where all the liquor stores were located.   At every election there was an initiative to allow open liquor sales in the county.  Baptist ministers and LIQUOR STORE OWNERS IN THE BORDERING COUNTIES were the driving force AGAINST it!   

And to go further, it is possible to have wet cities and dry cities in the same county.    

Like I said, COUNTIES cannot enact an ordinance a CITY can. A wet dry election can be held in a city or county and the PEOPLE decide what they want, not the politicians!

5 hours ago, bigjim said:

I am pretty sure that varied by county "law" as far back as I remember.

Jim,

While going through schools and teaching weapons and being a senior Security Forces NCO and NOT planning on retiring there, but a CT Yankee, I paid scant attention to who set the crazy blue laws where ever I was assigned. I had to leave fixing it to the residents themselves.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

I don't know about now but I grew up mostly in Dallas city limits and for many years there were different areas within the city limits that were wet and others dry.  Garland Rd at White Rock Creek was the demaracation line there. On NW hwy the creek at the north end of White Rock lake was the demarcation.  And a lot of other place. Garland was dry,  Mesquite was dry and more.

Even today there are some areas that opt out of liquor sales, while others choose to allow it. In TX the state sets the over-all standard with each smaller political entity allowed to opt out of sales. A liquor attorney told me that if the state says no, nobody can say yes, but if the states says yes, each county can choose to say no. The same on down so as the county goes wet, the towns have the option to stay dry and so on down the political scale. If you really care Local Option Law from the TX Secretary of States's office website has an explaination. 

More and more, the smaller political divisions have allowed liquor sales in recent years because of the revenue it brings in and the fact that modern roads & cars mean that a local dry area really doesn't deter anyone from buying liquor. I currently live in Mesquite and both they and Garland are now "wet" as is nearly all of Dallas county. Some of the more rural counties remain dry as do a few of the smaller towns in counties that are no longer that way. Rick is correct that it requires a public vote to change the liquor status, but it is the county commission or city council (or some other political entity) that introduces the issue and puts it on the ballot. 

As far as the mask mandate, both Dallas Co. and Tarrant county have them and they are being enforced. Dallas has the more stringent and enforceable one as they require that any business must require that masks be work at all time when within social distance of others, except that they can be removed to consume food or beverages. The legal experts can call it whatever they wish, but in practice the Dallas Co. code enforcement workers are issuing tickets for those who do not require masks with a fine and other penalties. Most businesses here have someone at the door preventing those who do not wear a mask from entry and larger businesses and malls are hiring off-duty LEO's to help them enforce it. As a result, the places that we go it is very rare to see anyone without a mask once they leave their car or approach other people. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Big Rick said:

If a business requires a mask to enter and I need or want their service/product, I wear a mask.

if some tin horn politician tells me I have to wear a mask, well good luck with that! No one has convinced me they have the authority’s to declare on their own that I have to wear one. No law was passed, just their Fiat.

Actually SCOTUS decided this sometime ago.  Laws were passed over a century ago that gave local officials the job of declaring emergencies in cases of disease transmission - think Typhoid Mary.  Thus when a epidemic occurs, it is the job of local officials to do things like quarantining people who posse a risk.  Wearing a mask is a simple thing to do.  But if you hate your fellow man ........

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

We have only lived in TX 11 years before we went on the road and another 8 since returning to part-time. And someone needs to come talk to the Dallas Co. Commissioners to tell them that they can't pass a mask mandate! Most of us here like it since the result has been the positive number of covid tests dropping from a high of 1000+ per day to under 200 per day. 

I wasn't directing that comment to you - - sorry if I wasn't clear about it.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Actually SCOTUS decided this sometime ago.  Laws were passed over a century ago that gave local officials the job of declaring emergencies in cases of disease transmission - think Typhoid Mary.  Thus when a epidemic occurs, it is the job of local officials to do things like quarantining people who posse a risk.  Wearing a mask is a simple thing to do.  But if you hate your fellow man ........

SMH!

you are not convincing me and evidently I am not convincing you.

Done with this topic.

Edited by Big Rick

The discussion of wearing a mask is not new concerning the SARS virus. This year SARS-CoV-2 is the particular virus. Read this thread from 2004: https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=604.0

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961