Why should I wear a mask?

Kirk W

I fail to see why some people are so inconsiderate of others. My parents lived through the blitz. They say this inconvenience is nothing. They had to black out their homes and huddle in there as bombs fell, and to top that off they were starving. Are we really this spoiled and self centered?

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Just as many places as you saw me accuse you of it. I was asking to clarify your position. The fact is that hospitals in Houston are nearly at 100% in ICUs and here in Dallas Co. they have exceeded 70% of ICU capacity. That is getting dangerously close. 

According to the CDC's own data that I linked above, 10% of Texas' hospitals beds are occupied by Covid patients.  Also according to the CDC's own data, Texas is at 64% of hospital capacity.  Do you have something showing Dallas and Houston hospitals are overrun with Covid patients, or are your percentages of all patients?

And if I thought masks were not needed, I wouldn't have posted a link to a Stanford article on masks.

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

Do you have something showing Dallas and Houston hospitals are overrun with Covid patients, or are your percentages of all patients?

You are posting links to state wide data but the areas around Houston, San Antonio, & Dallas/Ft Worth are the hot spots. I have no intention of debating with you and you, but what I stated was on the morning TV news from TV channel 5 here in D/FW. If you do support the wearing of masks, then we do agree on that and since I live in Dallas County, TX, I will rely on what I hear locally. 

Dallas County COVID-19 Monitoring Data, June 29, 2020

Coronavirus hospitalizations continue to rise in Dallas County, including a swell in ICU patients

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I choose to wear a mask because  all things considered it seems to be the thing to do at this time.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

8 minutes ago, richfaa said:

I choose to wear a mask because  all things considered it seems to be the thing to do at this time.

Agreed! The way that I see it, I wear a seat belt even though my car has airbags and it has been more than 30 years since I was in an accident. I would rather wear a mask and later discover that it was not needed and did nothing for me, than to take a chance and not wear a mask, only to learn later that it would have protected me and those around me. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

what I stated was on the morning TV news from TV channel 5 here in D/FW. 

Dallas County COVID-19 Monitoring Data, June 29, 2020

The 70% ICU capacity in Dallas County you mentioned does not coincide with the link you posted.  The link shows less than 50% ICU capacity.  Either the data is wrong, the morning news is wrong, or there was a massive influx overnight.

And my wife and I wear masks when we are in public.

Edited by remoandiris

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I do not understand anyone with this attitude. There is plenty of science to explain it to anyone willing to listen.

Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus

Maybe this will help.

DoAMXlKl.jpg

On edit: I am/was a Medic and then became a Medical Laboratory Technologist for eight years of my Air Force career. I did all the tests on Blood, Phlegm, urine, tissue samples including frozen sections, way back before gloves were mandatory and we had places to safely dispose of our needles. We did not just draw blood, we did the science and reported back results on lab slips. Back then we had few disposable instruments and I also I was also the infection control officer for the Barksdale AFB hospital LA 1971-1975 and again from 1981-1986 during college with the 11th Contingency hospital, AFRES, BAFB. We will need to go back to masks and quarantine to beat this with minimal additional deaths.

So if you want to contradict that you better be a doctor or another med lab technologist who cares for COVID patients without a mask.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one is entitled to their own facts." Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I only wear that junk if it is mandantory. It is now where I am.  so according to wnat you posted if someone snezzes on me I better have a mask. Here again unless you are in my face I see no benefit.

I find it amazing that those in the medical field and lab scientists have worn masks forever.... all day long and all kinds.  I would think they are the ones who know how to keep viruses at bay.   

Here's a good article:  https://www.unlv.edu/news/article/few-choice-words-about-masks?fbclid=IwAR2yFUNzU1LaSS5DcibcuvSQfpuzacO-RldM7nfQYyytgfjOpHs9jCm5Z-w

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

And in Viet Nam I adjusted the fuel controls on Hueys with my ears just a few inches from the turbine bleed  and with air whistling about 600 mph and we had no ear muffs.  So now I have a very narrow band of hearing loss.

So hopefully we are getting smarter.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Jie2X6Cl.jpg

A little humor; I even wrote about being a Med Lab Tech and my awakening to science:

The MLT Song

I got laid off from the oilfield, so I joined the Air Reserves,

‘Cause I thought it was my duty, my country to preserve.

So I signed up for the training, I was prepared to do my bit,

‘Cause if my side got in a fight I was gonna be part of it.

I was hopin’ to get a good job, Gung Ho and elite,

And become a silent killer, Boy was I naïve!

Well they said I scored high on their test, so it kind of tickled me,

When they said that I’d be training, to be an MLT!

Well, I didn’t know just what that was, but it sounded kind of tough,

And I didn’t know that the job I had involved all of this stuff.

But here I am, and now I know, because the job is this,

I’m the guy, that does the tests on all that Air Force piss.

Well I gotta test the darndest stuff that I have ever seen,

Some of that stuff is brown or red, but most of it is green.

So two days, out of every month, this is where I’ll be,

Drawing blood and stools and phlegm and playing in the pee!

Well after all that training, I gave up smoke and booze,

‘Cause now I know how bad they are, but that wasn’t all I’d lose.

‘Cause now I can’t stop sweating, all of those little germs,

They’re livin and growin all over me and boy they make me squirm!

Even my wife has left me lord, she took the car and kids,

‘Cause she didn’t like me garglin’ after every time we’d kiss.

And I can’t even eat the food I buy at the local Kroger Store,

Knowing there’s critters in every bite that they call “normal” flora?

Well, I used to be so happy, I used to have some fun,

But now I’m on the night shift, and I don’t see anyone.

Now friends I’m sayin’ that it just ain’t true, that ignorance is bliss,

Cause that’s how this ol’ country boy started playing in Piss.

© RV Roadie / Derek Gore 1990

My son and DIL wear masks every day. They are both working Nurses (BSRN) in Denver on the front lines. I am not quoting them, I just worry. We talk about this and my two grandkids, Elliot 5 and Elena 2 depend on their taking care for more than themselves.

The Golden Rule applies.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Masks don't protect the wearer. Masks help prevent the spread of virus from the person wearing the mask. Many are non-symptomatic but will still infect others. If everyone wore masks and practiced reasonable social distancing, we would not be in this mess. But if someone claims a right to infect me, there is not much I can do about that except leave the idiotsphere. I'll stay with fact based science, thank you. And good by.

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Maybe this will help.

DoAMXlKl.jpg

On edit: I am/was a Medic and then became a Medical Laboratory Technologist for eight years of my Air Force career. I did all the tests on Blood, Phlegm, urine, tissue samples including frozen sections, way back before gloves were mandatory and we had places to safely dispose of our needles. We did not just draw blood, we did the science and reported back results on lab slips. Back then we had few disposable instruments and I also I was also the infection control officer for the Barksdale AFB hospital LA 1971-1975 and again from 1981-1986 during college with the 11th Contingency hospital, AFRES, BAFB. We will need to go back to masks and quarantine to beat this with minimal additional deaths.

So if you want to contradict that you better be a doctor or another med lab technologist who cares for COVID patients without a mask.

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no one is entitled to their own facts." Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Love that explanation. Right on.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The fact is that hospitals in Houston are nearly at 100% in ICUs and here in Dallas Co. they have exceeded 70% of ICU capacity. That is getting dangerously close. 

A doctor in Houston reported that their ICU stays between 80-90% full at all times. Even before this pandemic. So being nearly 100% full is the old normal. Scary but misleading reporting does not help.

Dave and I wear masks when we leave the apartment. We don't want anyone to get this.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

New Zealand:

8 June 2020:

New Zealand drops Covid-19 restrictions after nation declared 'virus-free'

"New Zealand had reported just over 200 confirmed cases when the government shut down the country, and the total number of diagnosed instances of the virus never topped 1,500. 

Twenty-two people died of Covid-19 in New Zealand, in contrast to the tens of thousands of deaths that modelling by scientists had predicted if restrictions were not imposed.

"New Zealanders had “massively reduced their movements”, Ardern said; according to Google data, people had stayed at home more than residents in Australia, Britain and the United States had. 

“Our collective results I think speak for ourselves,” Ardern said. “This was what the sacrifice of our team of five million was for – to keep one another safe and to keep one another well.” She has regularly referred to New Zealanders as a “team of five million” in an effort to unite people and encourage them to follow her government’s rules to curb the virus’ spread."

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I only wear that junk if it is mandantory. It is now where I am.  so according to wnat you posted if someone snezzes on me I better have a mask. Here again unless you are in my face I see no benefit.

No way to tell if you benefited or not.  Maybe you did - maybe you didn't - so  WHY NOT ??.. (duh!)

The virus doesn't care whether you wear a mask or not.  It doesn't care what your politics, race or ethnicity are  - or the path YOU  choose to follow, or why. 

However - what you don't see - and won't see/hear - is the condition and treatment of  patients with full blown covid - (hippa reg's prohibit that). You see the recovered patient/s being wheeled out of the hospital/s to applause of the medical personnel who worked to save their lives.

Well equipped hospitals have a huge cylindrical device which "suspends" the patient in a "stomach down" position for pulmonary edema.  This can vary from 24 hrs to lesser (split) times depending on the success of the treatment.

If -and when- the edema clears - the patient can then be moved to a "normal" hospital bed.  Of course, all this happens in ICU, with only doctors & nurses permitted in the quarantined room.

Improvements are often in tiny, tiny increments - sometimes none at all for days.

How do I know this?  - From the CaringBridge daily entries by the spouse of a Firefighter friend  -  (big, healthy 45 yr old) - as well  as "allowable generic info" by the  FD's Paramedic Coordinator.  He is improving now - after about a month in the ICU.  He's in a normal hospital bed (still in ICU).  Simply attempting to sit up in bed is a totally exhausting effort.

The long term complications (if any) are unknown.

Bottom line - you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy......not to mention being infected yourself. Wearing a mask is no worse than putting on your "readers" or sunglasses.  Simply no big deal.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Hard to believe this is even being discussed. I have a good friend who feels it is his "right" to NOT wear a mask. I said, "is THAT your "stand""???  If so, it is the lamest stand in the history of man. We are still friends. 

Sorry, the mask thing is so freaking simple. I guess some can find all sorts of reasons for their rationale. 

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

15 minutes ago, LarryN said:

Hard to believe this is even being discussed.

Messed up huh!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It is incredible t how, in the US, this has become such a political thing. I always wondered how climate change could become so political, now something as basic as common sense health has become political. Are peoepl so dumb they can't see the obvious? Thank god its not a zombie apocalypse.

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Messed up huh!

In my family are 4 active RN's and my son is retired from 24 years as an Army medic and a holder of the combat medic badge (for caring for patients while under incoming fire). Every one of them advocate the wearing of masks when ever you are in public. It seems that some people simply will not do this small thing to help someone else. These people are excellent examples of the reason we need to have a penalty for those who refuse to be a part of the solution.  Both posts you made are right on. It makes me very sad to see so many Escapees who seem to not care. 

2 hours ago, LarryN said:

I have a good friend who feels it is his "right" to NOT wear a mask.

I'm sorry to say this, but but I've begun to "discard" friends like this. I won't discard a friend purely over political beliefs, but if someone is willing to risk my health and the health of others because of their political views then I no longer have anything in common with them.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Having suffered from polio as a young boy when they thought it came from swimming in a public pool, perhaps I am looking at this with different eyes. Hopefully another Dr Salk or another Dr Sabin will come along and relieve us of our own stupidity. 

When I am in Lowes or the grocery store wearing a mask, all I want to hear from other customers is "thank you".  I would like to hear those words filtered through a mask, but around here, in Lower MO, it isn't likely.  

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

If you are staying more than 2 meters away from people, 3 meters is better, and everyone else is wearing a mask to protect you, you can go out and be a selfish .....

you wear a mask to protect others, and provide some protection for yourself.   Obviously those who don’t care about their fellow man will ignore these mandates.

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Know they are a hazzard. fogs my glasses up.

First, make sure they are clean, then try masks with nose pieces you can crimp against  your nose.  For cloth masks, it helps if the glasses bottom rim sit over the cloth.    Ventilators are much harder than simple masks.   🤨

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834