4 door with sleeper

Gavenger

New here and doing research.  Currently have a dually and a TT, but A) I need more room, B) I refuse to compromise on quality.  B means most of the 5th wheels I've looked at are at the top of my trucks capabilities or just above.  Which lead me down this theoretical road.

I have 2 kids still in car seats, and we travel with dogs.  So far, the dogs have travelled in their crates in the back of the dually, but under a shell.  If I moved to a 5th wheel, even one my truck could pull, not enough room in the cab for the 6 of us.

So my question is, has anyone seen a HDT with 4 doors and a short sleeper that could be converted to a dog kennel?

I hope this question isnt too "out there".

Have you looked at "Toter Homes". The ones Ive seen start with a Class 7 or 8 HDT cab~chassis. You can get it configured to haul a fiver, a horse trailer type connection and, have a bumper pull as well. Behind the cab is a small (or large) RV box in which you can carry all sorts of people, critters and "stuff". You can go custom build or, find prebuilt Toter Homes. Two years ago, a vendor at the National HDT Rally did display a couple of toter homes (I was unable to attend in 2019; I don't know if any toter homes were shown). Hallmark, Renegade and Showhauler are names that quickly come to mind. I have seen Class 7 Crew Cab HDTs. I cannot remember seeing a Class 8 HDT Crew Cab BUT, if you've got the money, there are RV builders who have the skills.

https://www.racingjunk.com/category/1253/Toterhomes-RVs-Motorhomes.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2057872.m570.l1311.R1.TR11.TRC1.A0.H1.Xtoter.TRS0&_nkw=toterhomes&_sacat=0

Edited by jkoenig24
correct mis-spelling

Lonestar trucks or haulers made them.  This is going back a few years.  Made on a Peterbilt frame. A 300 and 384 model as I recall.  They did have a 4 door with 4 bucket seats and a bench across the back.  Pretty fancy upholstery, lots of gadgets.

The used ones were on a trailer sales site.  The name escapes me.

https://horsetrailerworld.com/home/searchtrucks.asp

Found it.

Edited by rdickinson
update info

Volvo now offers a 4dr model, but it means buying new as they haven’t been around long enough to exist on the used market.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, podwerkz said:

A 4 door class 8? I cant find that on the Volvo website, do you have a link to that?

Too bad that International ended production of the XT.

They are completed by a body builder.  There is a company in Texas that does this.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you order a brand new one you can get whatever you want. But I think you can build one easy enough. I put seats in the sleeper for the kids. I'm glad its not a 4 door because it would suck standing out there on the step 4 ft off the ground trying to buckle in a kid. Its much easier to stand up in the sleeper doing it. Of course now they are old enough to buckle themselves but, thats besides the point. You have kids in car seats. As for the kennel you could add a 36 inch sleeper off a Pete or older KW. Attach it to the back of the existing sleeper with a rubber boot for the kennel. It will tuck up nicely between the cab fairings and color matched I doubt most people will even notice it.

If yo come across a truck with a double eagle sleeper you should have plenty of room for kids and kennels.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I believe there was one at last year's HDT National.  I'd have a hard time prying my wallet open that far.  It's got a pretty hefty spring in the hinge.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Kenworth Aerocab 72" Aerodyne sleeper models with the sofabed option are 5 passenger vehicles. 

You have to be really tall and nimble to enter the rear seat through the sleeper door though. 

Beer fridge is right there,  desk folds out, TV, tinted side windas to look out while the driver pilots you through the countryside. 

Upper windas to look at the mountains and the fluffy clouds... 

C16 Caterpillar (rare) or 6 hunnert 2050 Cummins under the hood...

sigh...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Rick your right, I suppose I got hung up in the fact that the cab and sleeper is based off a typical class 8 unit, but singled out at the rear (which I really didnt notice, it was the four doors I was awed by)....but, it looks to me like it is still almost a class 8, just needs another drive axle to get there. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

5 hours ago, podwerkz said:

Rick your right, I suppose I got hung up in the fact that the cab and sleeper is based off a typical class 8 unit, but singled out at the rear (which I really didnt notice, it was the four doors I was awed by)....but, it looks to me like it is still almost a class 8, just needs another drive axle to get there. 

I guess technically 33,000 is the dividing line between 7&8. But I would consider a single axle tractor an 8 especially pulling wiggle wagons.

Well, yeah, typical fuzzy math. A single screw tractor can certainly be a class 8, (slip a 44,000lb axle under  there and poof) but as I look at the one in the picture, I would assume it is not going to be hauling doubles or a 50,000-80,000 pound load (truck, trailer and cargo). Meaning it probably has a lower limit on the installed axle and suspension, which might make it a class 7...but a very NICE class 7!

In the real world, it often depends on the label affixed in the door jamb, and/or the registration, and/or the paperwork, as to how it is classified, regardless of the actual hardware installed. 

At any rate, when I look at it, it screams 'Class 8 with 4 doors!'

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

This 4 door class 8 Freightliner was at the west coast rally a year ago. I cant remember the peoples name. Real nice couple out of Florida.

ifBXHxgl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

This 4 door class 8 Freightliner was at the west coast rally a year ago. I cant remember the peoples name. Real nice couple out of Florida.

ifBXHxgl.jpg

That's a nice looking truck. Really cool !   😎

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

On 6/26/2020 at 7:28 AM, rickeieio said:

Isn't a single axle is a class 7? To be a class 8 it must have tandem rear axles?

No sir. Class 8 tractors can come as a single screw (single rear axle) or a twin screw (dual rear axles). 

if you look a lot of mail contractors as well as UPS, XPO, Old Dominion, Yellow Roadway, etc.... use the single axle tractors. 

the difference between class 7 & 8 is the thickness of the frame and running suspension/running gear. 

There are twin screw class 7 trucks out there as well

I couldn't help myself, I had to look it up.......  Class 7 is 26,001 -33,000 pounds, class 8 is 33,001-80,000 pounds.  I doubt you could get a single rear axle over 33k legally, and I don't see how, or why, a tandem would fall under 33k.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

I couldn't help myself, I had to look it up.......  Class 7 is 26,001 -33,000 pounds, class 8 is 33,001-80,000 pounds.  I doubt you could get a single rear axle over 33k legally, and I don't see how, or why, a tandem would fall under 33k.

Based exclusively on the maximum axle ratings nationally, a two axle truck is limited to 32,000# on those two axles. A three axle truck is limited to 46,000# on those three axles. You only get to higher totals such as 80,000# on a combination vehicle. If you add a two axle trailer to a two axle tractor, you get to 66,000#. If you add a two axle trailer to a three axle tractor, you get to 80,000#. My truck is an old Watkins/FedEx two axle truck and was set up to tow doubles up to the 80,000# max. Jay

https://www.fullbay.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/202002_Infographic_TruckClassifications_v3.png

Edited by Jaydrvr
Typo

Well, I did a little more digging, and found you really can get well over 33k with a single axle.  Fed regs allow 20k on a single axle, assuming all components are rated as such, including tire width limits.  So, in theory, a single axle truck could be rated for 40k.

I think a source of confusion is that normal size steer tires are only rated for an axle rating of about 12k, since there's no point in going heavier than that because of the  limits for the combination of axles.

But class 7 v. class 8 remains the same.

I need more coffee........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN