Looking for RV structural expert for assessment

rtate

Does anyone know an RV structural expert who would be able to do an assessment of my truck camper? I have a structural issue. The manufacturer did a minor repair. I'm not sure if it's safe or how to determine if the issue has been safely corrected. Is there someone who can help with this type of assessment?

A structural consultant will be expensive.  You will need to look for a mechanical engineer that has a professional engineering license for your state that is willing the do consulting work.  The cost will typically run a couple of hundred dollars per hour with a 4 hour or 8 hour minimum charge.  

As a retired mechanical engineer with a license, I could not practice or advertise engineering services without a state license.  I also carried a liability insurance.

As for an RV structural expert, i seriously doubt if any of the manufacturers actually hire engineers.

You do know to qualify as an EXPERT, you have to be more than 30 miles from home and have a briefcase.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, rtate said:

Does anyone know an RV structural expert who would be able to do an assessment of my truck camper? I have a structural issue. The manufacturer did a minor repair. I'm not sure if it's safe or how to determine if the issue has been safely corrected. Is there someone who can help with this type of assessment?

Why don't you run it by here and get some experienced amateur opinions.

I probably used overly specific language asking about a RV structural expert. I'm just looking for an informed (but not official) 2nd opinion.

1 hour ago, durangodon said:

Why don't you run it by here and get some experienced amateur opinions.

I posted about the situation last August right when the issue first occurred & got a few opinions at that point. There's more detail in this thread but, basically, the basement of my truck camper spontaneously fell apart. Thankfully, the camper was off the truck and I wasn't driving when it happened.

The updates:

1. The manufacturer sent a factory supervisor last fall. He replaced the original screws that held the basement together with larger bolts. He did not bring the bottom basement panels because he said the Warranty office forgot to tell him they were needed. At the time, the factory supervisor told us that at least one other camper had had a similar basement problem. He also told us that the camper was not designed properly to withstand the forces on a truck camper. He said he thought that manufacturing might be halted for a redesign. The manufacturer has indeed stopped producing this model but denies everything else that the factory supervisor said. 

2. I didn't realize until about a week after the basement detached that there was also a new bulge at the cabover junction on the opposite side of the camper from the side where the basement detached. I notified the manufacturer. The factory supervisor who came last fall said that was a separate known issue that was happening to these models and required the side of the camper to be taken off, the structure assessed, and a repair at the factory. However, he said that issue would require a separate authorization from the manufacturer's warranty office that he didn't have. The manufacturer acknowledges that there is a known fabrication issue that could be causing this bulge. The camper was left partially repaired at the same location.

3. After back and forth, the manufacturer is now offering to pick up the camper and transport it to the factory to be assessed and repaired.

I don't know anything about RV construction. Since the basement is the structure that supports the weight of the camper, I'm concerned that replacing the bolts isn't an adequate repair. I'm also concerned that the frame of the camper may have torqued. The worst of the basement collapse was on the rear driver's corner of the camper. The bulge that occurred at the same time or soon after is at the passenger's cabover junction. I'm worried that the camper basement will collapse while I'm driving. I was in the midst of selling the camper when it fell apart. But I do not believe that I could ever sell the camper now.

I don't know how to evaluate if the repairs that they do are adequate and safe.

If the manufacturer is willing to pick the camper up and repair it, I would take them up on it ASAP.  Most manufacturers would not be willing to do that on what is now a 3ish year-old camper. Once is it repaired and "signed off" on by the manufacturer, I would put it on the market as you had planned and sell it. Why do you say the you don't believe you could ever sell the camper now?   

I am a registered professional engineer but frankly this is an area where you are unlikely to find many qualified experts. And whatever one expert tells you, another can refute. The manufacturer is probably your best bet at this point. 

Edited by mptjelgin

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Once is it repaired and "signed off" on by the manufacturer, I would put it on the market as you had planned and sell it. Why do you say the you don't believe you could ever sell the camper now?   

I wouldn't buy a truck camper that had the basement fall off. I guess that's why I think I won't be able to sell it.

The issue is compounded by the fact that I don't have a truck anymore. That (plus medical issues) are why I was selling the camper originally. I have to buy a new truck in order to take possession of the camper again. 

I see.  I'd imagine that someone would be willing to purchase the camper assuming the repair was done correctly and the price was right.  Better than just letting it sit and rot.  However, the inability to take possession of it certainly complicates the issue.

Perhaps you could work something out with the manufacturer.  If they are willing to pick it up and fix it, perhaps they could help with a sale and split profits (if there are any) with you. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

20 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

Perhaps you could work something out with the manufacturer.  If they are willing to pick it up and fix it, perhaps they could help with a sale and split profits (if there are any) with you.

The manufacturer says that they do not involve themselves in any financial transactions (including buybacks or transactions with dealers, customers and banks). 

Well, I'll explain my experience with structural problems. Our last 5er developed a stress crack during our Alaska trip.  When we returned home I called my insurance co. An adjuster came out approved repair. I took the 5er back to the Dutchmen factory service center for repair (300mi) They removed the exterior panel and interior panel around the porthole style window and discovered broken welds in the aluminum structure. The repaired/welded the broken ones, then welded in gussets to re-enforce the area at the  top-front corner of that slide-room, replaced the damaged outer/inner panels and it looked great.

A year later the same thing happened, an adjuster came out looked at the crack, then she said "not-covered due to structural defects." When I questioned my ins. agent, he said I should have called him first, instead of the toll-free claims number.

I asked about consulting a structural engineer, he said "it doesn't matter now, decision has been made and filed", and you would have had to pay their bill.

Ken is right, she was over 30 miles from home and carried a briefcase.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961