RV wreck in Idaho

In defensive driving courses they teach that, if you can't avoid hitting someone that pulls out in front of you, to steer to the rear of their vehicle. There's a small chance you may clear them since you're steering opposite the direction they're moving and, if not, you hit the lighter rear end of a front-engine vehicle. In this case, a 1979 travel trailer, while a sad loss, would likely have been lighter than a pickup truck. It might seem counter-intuitive... like pushing forward on the stick at the beginning of a stall-spin.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 6/20/2020 at 2:04 PM, Second Chance said:

... like pushing forward on the stick at the beginning of a stall-spin.

Rob

Had lots of vehicles stall, been in a few spins (intentional and accidental) - but never both at the same time -or- with an RV.

Now........if I can just find "the stick" if necessary....😕

9 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Had lots of vehicles stall, been in a few spins (intentional and accidental) - but never both at the same time -or- with an RV.

I believe that Rob is speaking about aircraft in flight.  While we don't generally include them in the recreation vehicle group, my friend owns one purely for recreational purposes. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

21 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I believe that Rob is speaking about aircraft in flight.  While we don't generally include them in the recreation vehicle group, my friend owns one purely for recreational purposes. 

I think Pappy was just being funny...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It might seem counter-intuitive... like pushing forward on the stick at the beginning of a stall-spin.

Or : down shift and accelerate in a curve instead of natural instinct to brake. ( in a car not a big MH)

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

6 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

Or : down shift and accelerate in a curve instead of natural instinct to brake. ( in a car not a big MH)

A Greyhound Bus driver once taught me to brake a bit before the curve so you could accelerate slightly going through it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I ride motorcycles. In my motorcycle safety class we were taught to brake before going into a turn and accelerate thru it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I ride motorcycles. In my motorcycle safety class we were taught to brake before going into a turn and accelerate thru it. 

In motorsickle track training, a how to drive briskly course, and heavy truck driving training - all instructors taught a variation on the same thing:

Get your braking done before the turn, settle into the correct line through the turn at a steady speed, looking as far ahead as you can in the turn - at the "vanishing point of the road" - when the turn begins to open up and you can see out of the turn now you apply power... for RV's you hafta also ignore pots and pans unloading out of the cubbards thundering around on the floor

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.