Getting Cash

Getting cash money has never been a problem for us since we began our  extensive travel in 2006. We use the FJ/Pilot card for fuel purchases  probably 95 % of the time and we use  a debit  card or our USAA card for all other purchases . Cash can be got most anywhere at stores both large and small. We have about 100.00 in various denominations on hand. We have found little use for cash. We do not recall paying ATM fees as we rarely use the ATM to get cash $$$ unless there is a branch of our local bank wherever we are. We have not had a problem using the debit card and it is both a debit and credit card. Most banks have limits or alerts on  your bank accounts such as how much you can spend at one time. We have had on several occasions had to call the bank and alert them that we would be exceeding that amount otherwise they would  deny the transaction or call us to confirm that is was us doing the transaction. We like the debit card because the amount is deducted from your account almost instantly and you can only spend what your account will cover.

In short … we do not have a problem

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

18 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Getting cash money has never been a problem for us since we began our  extensive travel in 2006. We use the FJ/Pilot card for fuel purchases  probably 95 % of the time and we use  a debit  card or our USAA card for all other purchases . Cash can be got most anywhere at stores both large and small. We have about 100.00 in various denominations on hand. We have found little use for cash. We do not recall paying ATM fees as we rarely use the ATM to get cash $$$ unless there is a branch of our local bank wherever we are. We have not had a problem using the debit card and it is both a debit and credit card. Most banks have limits or alerts on  your bank accounts such as how much you can spend at one time. We have had on several occasions had to call the bank and alert them that we would be exceeding that amount otherwise they would  deny the transaction or call us to confirm that is was us doing the transaction. We like the debit card because the amount is deducted from your account almost instantly and you can only spend what your account will cover.

In short … we do not have a problem

I don't have a problem getting cash, I have a problem paying someone to dispense the money from my account. I would like to just get $20 to $50 at a time, but doing that several times a month at $3 a pop could get costly. Sure I can easily do it at the grocery, but with my rounding up sometimes it's not worth the hassle to try and get cash and round up $.99 into my savings account at the same time. Maybe if I used the "Self Check out", I could do it but I won't use them. 

It's over 100 miles to the nearest free ATM. Nice motorcycle ride I guess, but going to the same place all the time would get old. I didn't withdraw my maximum allowed yesterday, but now I have to be sure to lock my locker at work all the time. Sure as shit if I don't the cash will disappear more quickly than I expect.

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I to have  a Wells Fargo credit card , and have for over 5 years now. SO far I haven't had one problem with them. I also have a debit Visa card with my credit union back in Texas where my S.S. check goes to every month. And I use that for just about everything, except for online purchases like Amazon and other places.

Or the cash side of things, I get mine at Walmart where I buy groceries every week.

Edited by Captain Happy

We all have different circumstances.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

"I have a problem paying someone to dispense the money from my account."

Unfortunately, dispensing money does incur a cost.  Who pays for the ATM machine capital cost and on-going maintenance expense?  And what about the money that disappears from ATM machines?

Life is not fair.  But IMO, expecting others to pay for your convenience is not either.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

4 hours ago, DanZemke said:

"I have a problem paying someone to dispense the money from my account."

Unfortunately, dispensing money does incur a cost.  Who pays for the ATM machine capital cost and on-going maintenance expense?  And what about the money that disappears from ATM machines?

Life is not fair.  But IMO, expecting others to pay for your convenience is not either.

Same people who build the huge offices, and fancy buildings. What about the salaries paid to a CEO and others. I resent your suggestion that I am not paying my bank enough to be convenient to me. It's not "My bank who is charging me." It's just a game to them. How much can we charge the customer before they try someone else? Banks make money on their deposits, loans and investments. They spend lot's of money on advertisements, big buildings, executive salaries. Why should we not expect fairness?  Thanks for your comment and please agree to disagree with what each of us think is a suitable expectation. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

26 minutes ago, lappir said:

Same people who build the huge offices, and fancy buildings. What about the salaries paid to a CEO and others. I resent your suggestion that I am not paying my bank enough to be convenient to me. It's not "My bank who is charging me." It's just a game to them. How much can we charge the customer before they try someone else? Banks make money on their deposits, loans and investments. They spend lot's of money on advertisements, big buildings, executive salaries. Why should we not expect fairness?  Thanks for your comment and please agree to disagree with what each of us think is a suitable expectation. 

Rod 

Rod,  I have a question for you.  I can understand how the Crosstrek might fit in the toyhauler, but how do you get out of the Crosstrek after you drive it up in there?  Do you crawl out the back, or do you just ride inside to the next destination?  🙂

Capital One is our primary bank although we also use many others.  The Capital One debit card accesses free ATMs all over.  In any city I have never been more than five miles from a free ATM.

Most of our purchases are on a few high cash back credit cards which get paid off every month.  I NEVER use a debit card for purchases.

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

I have Capital One but have a hard time finding their ATMs, especially out west. The RV park I'm staying at now in SC is only $300/mo including elec, cable, tax etc. but it must be in cash or they have a 3% service charge (they say it's what their bank charges them.) Instead of paying the extra $9 (OK, Im cheap) I went to the only local bank ATM but had to pay them $2 to get my money anyway. Oh well, I still saved $7 (minus the $1 in gas to go to the ATM). It's not much savings, but it's the principle. Sometimes I think I'm becoming my father.

Lately I've found if I use a credit card for gas rather than a debit card or cash they charge as much as 10 cents more/gallon.

Chip 

9 hours ago, durangodon said:

Rod,  I have a question for you.  I can understand how the Crosstrek might fit in the toyhauler, but how do you get out of the Crosstrek after you drive it up in there?  Do you crawl out the back, or do you just ride inside to the next destination?  🙂

With the 4 door Crosstrek I am able to open the door and exit. There is a bit of body contortion, but so far doable. My previous Isuzu VehiCross required me to exit through the drivers door window. One time I was able to squeeze out between the door and car, but my mild claustrophobia prevented me from additional attempts. The Crosstrek is more difficult to use the over the tire straps I had used for years with the VX so I have found a better and actually easier method to secure the rear wheels. It's still tough to tie down the right front. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

40 minutes ago, whj469 said:
  1. Why would you want to pay a fee to get your money? I don't care if it is a small fee, I will not pay it.

Because it is a service and it costs money to provide the service? 

Even the "free" places where you get your money are charging you to do so, it is just buried in their other business costs.  Much like cash-back credit cards. The costs of items go up across the board to cover the "cash" that is being returned to the customers. Businesses are not charities and "free" services don't exist. Free services are simply a marketing tool that you pay for elsewhere. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 hour ago, whj469 said:
  1. Why would you want to pay a fee to get your money? I don't care if it is a small fee, I will not pay it.

I don't think anybody 'wants' to, but it's a convenient service that someone is paid to maintain. I'd rather pay the $3 than to drive to Walmart, buy something, wait in line, to save a whopping $3.  If everyone did as you, ATMs would disappear and we'd all be forced into banks or Walmarts - a store I avoid like the plague.

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, whj469 said:

If you keep your account with a financial institution that reimburses the foreign ATM fees, as my bank does, you do not have to pay them. While I don't use an ATM often, I do prefer that to using cash back services from making a purchase with my debit card, for reasons of security.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 6/26/2020 at 3:50 PM, Kirk W said:

If you keep your account with a financial institution that reimburses the foreign ATM fees, as my bank does, you do not have to pay them. While I don't use an ATM often, I do prefer that to using cash back services from making a purchase with my debit card, for reasons of security.  

Kirk, 

My account used to reimburse  my debit card fees, if I would use it at least a certain number of times per month. I always did, but the decided to remove the reimbursement anyway. It used to be a small hometown bank that had great service and great people. Now it's a Larger Regional Bank that cares nothing about the people and only about the money. The tellers who had been there for years are all gone and it seems they can't keep any of the new ones. I will move once I find a location where I may be for a few years. Right now I plan to continue to move and change my thoughts of pulling cash with each purchase instead of a lump sum when I think I will need it. Now to find the hiding places and remembering them too. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800